Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally large commercial jets can operate with up to 10 to 15 knots of tailwind, however the performance particularly on landing increases by a large margin.

Large increase is an understatement, Huge increase. Most normal airports operate up to 10 knots down wind as a very general rule of thumb without any issues.

You really learn about down winds when mucking about on skies (snow/ice) and floats (water), things get really 'exciting' really bloody fast.

Don't know about every operator but 10 kts of tailwind is pretty standard for landing. However, there are plenty of airports that stuff aircraft in with winds at (or beyond) those limits. China for one comes to mind.

Hi,

Just had a look at some numbers on landing with tailwinds, using Bangkok as an example with a landing weight of just over 220 tons. Basically for every 5 knots of tail wind the landing distance required increased by 200 metres.

Add to that crossing the threshold of the runway higher than normal then your up against it indeed. Potentially landing with 15 knots of tail wind and crossing the threshold 50 feet higher than normal would have your landing distance increased by approximately 1000 metres.

Tail winds are best avoided for sure.

Distance is more effected by tail winds than headwinds will shorten it, something to do with vectors and momentum..... I will let the physics gurus explain it, but as a very general comment, using the above post of 15 knots on the ass making it 1000M (1km) longer) 15kts on the nose will almost make it 1000m shorter. Not exactly true but it makes a hell of a difference. You really notice it on touch down and when breaking, the frame always shatters like hell. My comment before regarding skies and floats, is that the medium you are landing in is much denser and really grabs you.

If you have never thought about density, I forget, but I think Cessna 152 (2 seater) is about 90 Horsepower, look at the size of its prop compared to a out board boat motor.

Leaving Chiang Mai at night......

1383650_1430864637135483_776186999_n.jpg

Emirates Business Class Lounge at Swampy, Cheese!!!

1383075_1430864647135482_1149351846_n.jp

I was early, the place was empty.......

999552_1430864700468810_933963877_n.jpg

So I helped myself to.......

1384335_1430864723802141_1200397326_n.jp

A nice wee sky at night look in the Emirates Cabin.....

999304_1430864740468806_884866653_n.jpg

I hate getting bussed at airports, Emirates Business Class introduced a new service for Biz Class passengers, a seat each!! I can do that......

1150792_1430864763802137_1202950255_n.jp

This is my contribution to the quiz .

Same plane and airline is now landing in Bangkok , however this picture was taken in Europe.

What is the name of the plane and airline ?

az0o.jpg

Same plane and airline is now landing in Bangkok , however this picture was taken in Europe.

I'd guess Norwegian B787 ?

Now replacing the interim wet/dry-leased planes, on their new long-haul LCC-operation.

Now replacing the interim wet/dry-leased planes, on their new long-haul LCC-operation.

Spent a bit of time mucking with the image ... but a great result ...

post-104736-0-89362500-1382773864_thumb.

But click this ... http://www.norwegian.no/longdistancerevolution/assets/vid/intro.ogv ... biggrin.png

I do try ... wai.gif

Spent a bit of time mucking with the image ... but a great result ...

attachicon.gifNorwegian Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.png

But click this ... http://www.norwegian.no/longdistancerevolution/assets/vid/intro.ogv ... biggrin.png

I do try ... wai.gif

That is correct and what a beautiful image that was ! I just love the painted livery of this plane.

Norwegian B787 EI-LNA direct flight Oslo - Bangkok

db7s.jpg
Painted on the tale is an image of Sonia Henie , one of Norways most famous stars from the 1930's .
Unfortunately Norwegian had some troubles with their two Dreamliner planes, small technical issues causing many delays and unhappy passengers.
But I think they have solved it now.
Norwegian Dreamliners are now flying from Oslo and Arlanda to Florida and Bangkok .
And they will extend their long flight program to include New York and Beijing soon .

Credit has to go to Ricardo ... he found it ... I just made it look pretty.

Thanks for the spot ... I like to see that I normally wouldn't get to view.

JetStar is about to start flying the Dreamliner.

Scoot also from what I've heard.

az0o.jpg

Love the wing flex. Gives it a real bird look.

Hi,

Airline and aircraft anyone ?

Looks like a DC-10 to me. I am stumped on the airline. The colour looks like Korean, New Zealand or KLM but I can't find a match to the pattern.

Similar type, newer model. Cargo Europe based.

I think I have it ...

AVCargo-big.jpg

The colluded dynamics of lower utilisation and higher cash flow are key to the revival of AV Cargo. It’s a bold move by the British-managed cargo carrier to try and put distance between itself and its previously failed sales operation, Avient Ltd, now languishing in administration.

To that end, the freshly rebranded AV Cargo took delivery of its second MD-11F in July, with the intention to place it in service by September. It will join the earlier intake of a stable mate MD-11F, which arrived in May.

Both aircraft are on lease from Boeing Capital Corp.

Here

Speaking of the above plane ...

The MD-11 Freighter design is based on the extensive knowledge gained from experience designing and producing the DC-8, DC-10 and KC-10 freighter. The airplane is part of the advanced MD-11 wide-cabin, three-engine jetliner family produced by the Long Beach Division of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

MD-11 Freighter advantages include low cost of acquisition, extended intercontinental nonstop range, lower fuel burn per trip, unrestricted over-water operation, and up to 44 percent more below-deck revenue pallet or container cargo capacity.

In addition to modern aerodynamics, cockpit and power plants, the MD-11 freighter offers higher take-off weights, permitting increased cargo payload.

The all-cargo MD-11F provides the capacity for 202,100-pound (91,670 kilograms) gross payloads and has a 98.25-inch (249.5 centimeters) maximum stack height. Located in the forward fuselage, the MD-11 cargo door is 140 inches (356 centimeters) wide by 102 inches (259 centimeters) high.

The freighter's main cabin will hold up to 15,530 cubic feet (440 cubic meters) of palletized cargo. Its lower compartments will hold an additional 5,566 cubic feet (158 cubic meters) of containerized or bulk cargo. All standard industry containers can be accommodated side-by-side in the lower deck.

Here

Hi,

Airline and aircraft anyone ?

Looks like a DC-10 to me. I am stumped on the airline. The colour looks like Korean, New Zealand or KLM but I can't find a match to the pattern.

Hi Spud, I see how you thought it was a lovely DC10 as the main wing tips are hidden in this pic some how, but then relised it had a bit underneath, dc10 was clean , the DC10 - MD 11 was a much better plane that they have a rep for, just bad luck at a bad time, ETOPS and big engine development and that (dodgy wiring off Helifax) killed em. Th DC-10 had the best western cockpit out here, had a game of badtimium while getting a free ride up front in one of em. Still can't beat the Ruskies for "comfort".

Edit: w00t.gif

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you Aerosexuals out there know if there's a NOTAM for all these flying things for Loy Kratong?

Couldn't find anything on the usual sites..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

China Airlines. Sexy, tasty and free of charge..

IMG_5277.JPG

Well gentlemen, the Ashes starts today in a City not far from where I live.

The Sun is shining, clear Azure skies ... should be a cracker.

But you don't come here for weather reports.

I've got 6 or 8 original spots left ... maybe might make it through to Christmas if you guys contribute a few things.

There is only Miss December ... wub.png left and then maybe a the Year in Review ... and any other stocking fillers I can think of.

Well gentlemen, the Ashes starts today in a City not far from where I live.

The Sun is shining, clear Azure skies ... should be a cracker.

But you don't come here for weather reports.

I've got 6 or 8 original spots left ... maybe might make it through to Christmas if you guys contribute a few things.

There is only Miss December ... wub.png left and then maybe a the Year in Review ... and any other stocking fillers I can think of.

There's no need to fear, Ryanair is here.wai.gif

Ryanair-Calendar-2014-001.jpg

Any of you Aerosexuals out there know if there's a NOTAM for all these flying things for Loy Kratong?

Couldn't find anything on the usual sites..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Never seen any NOTAM for these.