Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

Not too sure what happened just then, tried to edit my previous attempt... Perhaps Snowden found his aircraft and hacked my TV account!

Anyways as I was saying, if my internet sleuthing is up to standard, we're looking at an A-37B Dragonfly...

Edited by GrantSmith

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update. while you have all been out enjoying yourselves I have done some more research.

Looks very likely that Smokies photo is an example of the exceptionally rare A37 Dragonfly with the 2.5 litre Toyota engine.

Manual transmission so I reckon CLB would be very happy to fly it.

Cheers.

well I'm stumped...For me it was either the A-37B Dragon Fly or the F5A Freedom Fighter..Not much left in that garden of eden, unless the Chinook had that same gun fitted to it...

yep me too.

Agree

New pic?

These missile launchers where mounted on F-5A's..

Yep. Chinese have copied the design for the car accessory market. Steel quality is a bit poor though.

Ever flown in a wide bodied jet made in China?

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Boeing or Airbus for me.

Thought this might be interesting.

Don Muang 3 months ago.

post-70928-0-44301700-1373042684_thumb.j post-70928-0-04584300-1373042708_thumb.j

A new watch tower is being built.

post-70928-0-77104200-1373042919_thumb.j post-70928-0-24868900-1373042946_thumb.j

Idle Thai airways planes are there. Does the red engine cover mean the engines have been revised? Or are they newlybought?

Edited by Dancealot

Idle Thai airways planes are there. Does the red engine cover mean the engines have been revised? Or are they newlybought?

Standard procedure when leaving an aircraft out and idle for any extended period. Birds nests, rocks/debris from jet blast of other aircraft, etc. In other words, to keep things out of the engine that doesn't belong there. When removed, an intake inspection is performed to be sure it is clear. Here's a cover that works just like an inverted umbrella. Put it in and pop it out. biggrin.png

inlet-cover3.jpg

edit: Tywais beat me to it

Out of interest, they are the Thai A340's which have been pulled out of services as they are too expensive to run and don't give a decent revenue. (on their ultra long haul routes requiring more fuel, they are normally flown with less than full pax - not good for revenue)

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

edit: Tywais beat me to it

Out of interest, they are the Thai A340's which have been pulled out of services as they are too expensive to run and don't give a decent revenue. (on their ultra long haul routes requiring more fuel, they are normally flown with less than full pax - not good for revenue)

The -500 variant as the -600 variant is still in ops... For such a fuel whore, I did have a soft spot for the -500...

This might be an ignorant question from an non-aviation nut but ...

Presuming that most of the fuel efficiency comes from the engines ... why they are simply not upgraded to a more fuel efficient type?

This might be an ignorant question from an non-aviation nut but ...

Presuming that most of the fuel efficiency comes from the engines ... why they are simply not upgraded to a more fuel efficient type?

500 s and 600s have Rolls Royce I think (mr grant? )

If you can't afford the fuel you can't afford to buy one. Same with the car.

Rule Britannia......