Thailand's Cola Conflict: Est Vs. Pepsi

webfact

I have gone off the stuff, but find Lipton tea-Lemon at 28 bht a litre from tesco not bad at all, more pleasent taste. another is that Ouishi- Ha Ha --spelling of the item I forgot--but the black tea-lemon good 30 bht litre.

Swampy airport today--can of coke 50 baht she said -I politely told her to bog off, this is stupid as it is 10 bht wholesale. near boots was a place selling cool cans for 18 bht, about time many rip offs are stopped, another thread about the strong bht and this today.

Local tesco today pepsi 1 litre 24 bht, coke 1.5 litre 23 bht. competition out of the window.

Tops here in Chiang Mai is selling Pepsi Max at 24 baht for a 1.45 liter bottle. Coke Zero is in 1.25 liter bottles at 23 baht.

don't think I have seen Pepsi or Coke in 1 liter bottles here in Chiang Mai.

HD, coke don't do--- 1 litre pepsi started 2 months ago--(Udon Thani)---Pepsi is flooding the market, Coke at tesco EXPRESS always seem to be "NO HAB"

Also notice tesco whiskey-coffee-not available.

I have been getting my Pepsi Max at Tops. The wife gets it at the mini Lotus store. I thought those plastic Pepsi bottles were 850mlg. Didn't check that close as I will go with out before I drink a surgered pop. I am diabetic and not drinking pop with sugar in it gives me a little bit of room to cheat with a chocolate bar every now and then. Fair trade in my mind.smile.png

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see Pepsi rising from the ashes, so to speak, and returning to the shelves. Our mini-mart now has Pepsi 1.45 litres on sale at 25 Baht, and selling well.

We never stocked EST at my insistence, I do believe that business should have some ethics. Only trouble is that shopping at Makro and Big C has become a nightmare with great heaps of fESTering swill piled high and discounted to a point where nobody can be making any profit, yet still being ignored by all!

• Like 1

Ive tried both est and Pepsi and given between the 2 I really did not like the taste of est. I suppose if I never had a coke or pepsi before then u might have a different opinion.

Beyond these 2 brands id rather really have my dr pepper

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ive tried both est and Pepsi and given between the 2 I really did not like the taste of est. I suppose if I never had a coke or pepsi before then u might have a different opinion. Beyond these 2 brands id rather really have my dr pepper Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I liked that when I was in the states and for a time they had one with a vanilla added to it.

But the states has lots of Pepsi and Coke flavors you don't find here in Thailand. Like diet vanilla or cherry Coke.

Ive tried both est and Pepsi and given between the 2 I really did not like the taste of est. I suppose if I never had a coke or pepsi before then u might have a different opinion. Beyond these 2 brands id rather really have my dr pepper Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I liked that when I was in the states and for a time they had one with a vanilla added to it.

But the states has lots of Pepsi and Coke flavors you don't find here in Thailand. Like diet vanilla or cherry Coke.

Coke has had the vanilla flavor in Thailand for a short period of time, same as pepsi has had the twist.

I have gone off the stuff, but find Lipton tea-Lemon at 28 bht a litre from tesco not bad at all, more pleasent taste. another is that Ouishi- Ha Ha --spelling of the item I forgot--but the black tea-lemon good 30 bht litre.

Swampy airport today--can of coke 50 baht she said -I politely told her to bog off, this is stupid as it is 10 bht wholesale. near boots was a place selling cool cans for 18 bht, about time many rip offs are stopped, another thread about the strong bht and this today.

Local tesco today pepsi 1 litre 24 bht, coke 1.5 litre 23 bht. competition out of the window.

Tops here in Chiang Mai is selling Pepsi Max at 24 baht for a 1.45 liter bottle. Coke Zero is in 1.25 liter bottles at 23 baht.

don't think I have seen Pepsi or Coke in 1 liter bottles here in Chiang Mai.

HD, coke don't do--- 1 litre pepsi started 2 months ago--(Udon Thani)---Pepsi is flooding the market, Coke at tesco EXPRESS always seem to be "NO HAB"

Also notice tesco whiskey-coffee-not available.

I have been getting my Pepsi Max at Tops. The wife gets it at the mini Lotus store. I thought those plastic Pepsi bottles were 850mlg. Didn't check that close as I will go with out before I drink a surgered pop. I am diabetic and not drinking pop with sugar in it gives me a little bit of room to cheat with a chocolate bar every now and then. Fair trade in my mind.smile.png

Did notice that Pepsi are giving odd amounts in their bottles as you say re 850, of late I was checking the 1.5 and 1.25 (coke)--Pepsi similar prices but short on quantity- they never did this years ago-the coke and Pepsi were always equiv. Although it is sweet I am buying 1 litre Lipton lemontea at 28 bht more pleasant than coke. What about the Chang flavoured soda, not bad at 10 bht--don't know about sugar content

I don't like Est either, but the lemon & lime one is passable. I'd like to see a diet version of Est. It doesn't seem right that it costs the same as coke and pepsi, though. There is certainly no excuse for Cherry coke, Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper to be THB50/can at Villa though. Given that it's all just flavoured syrup, there's no reason why divergence flavours couldn't be more widespread. A cherry coke would go quite well with a chilli cheese burger at Carl's Jr.

Coke has had the vanilla flavor in Thailand for a short period of time, same as pepsi has had the twist.

If they ever get it here in Chiang Mai and it is the diet kind I will seriously be thinking of changing brands. As it is I like the Pepsi Max the best and Coke Zero is also very good but the diet Coke has some thing missing in it for me.

If they ever get it here in Chiang Mai and it is the diet kind I will seriously be thinking of changing brands. As it is I like the Pepsi Max the best and Coke Zero is also very good but the diet Coke has some thing missing in it for me.

They had the vanilla flavor approx 8-9 years ago, and probably for a year or less only.

Isnt Coke number # 1 soda in the world?? Sure EST is just another choice in thailand ....

Maybe they should start there own Fast food Restaurant like the Philippines has JollyBee as there own Mcdonalds too??

Isnt Coke number # 1 soda in the world?? Sure EST is just another choice in thailand ....

Maybe they should start there own Fast food Restaurant like the Philippines has JollyBee as there own Mcdonalds too??

Never eat Mcdonald's, but have seen some here, also looks the same outside but say MacThai, is it the same or a Thai version ?

Never eat Mcdonald's, but have seen some here, also looks the same outside but say MacThai, is it the same or a Thai version ?

McThai is the franchise holder for Thailand same as CP is the Tesco & 7/11 franchisee for Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask why they named it Est,is it aimed at the German expat community.

Is their slogan Est is die best.

You gotta wonder why they stuck an 'S' in the middle when 99% of Thais mispronounce them:

i.e. ignore them when they're there, conjure them up when they're not.

Probably something to do with Thai pronunciation practice.

I'll have toask the lady at the local shop how it reads in Thai - maybe there's no 'S' sound there.

Clanger Alert re Veronica Pedrosa clip:

est is NOT the first home grown Thai softdrink e.g. Royal Crown cola is still widely available in Bangkok at corner shops: tastes like 'the real thing' only far less gassy and many prefer it.

BTW I believe their other flavor is a root beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Crown_Cola

is american

I'm not, but thanks for the info, bro.

Discussion (in Thai) with staffer at my local 711 elicited the following information:

1. The Thai script is pronounced 'ES' as in the letter 's'.

2. However the word is actually pronounced 'ET' as in the word 'et-cetera'.

3. Staffer volunteered that this was dysfunctional (i.e. a diconnect between BOTH Thai and English spelling and the pronunciation) and agreed that it should be pronounced 'ESS'.

I reckon this is because (as usual) some 'senior' person stood to lose face over the original decision and is in denial mode.

Typical really: They're still mis-pronouncing 'Fashion Island' as 'Fashion ISS-land' on radio advertisements.

T.I.T.

Edited by GazR

• 4 weeks later...

There has been a lot of bagging of Est, stolen recipes, no good taste, etc personally good luck to them for telling a large multinational to go sit on it, squeezing them and their profits. Screw Pepsi you can't say the Thai alternative didn't get out in the market fast, and has grabbed a section of the market. Big multinationals screw smaller businesses out of the market or buys them out then screw the customer. Ill drink est!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lot of bagging of Est, stolen recipes, no good taste, etc personally good luck to them for telling a large multinational to go sit on it, squeezing them and their profits. Screw Pepsi you can't say the Thai alternative didn't get out in the market fast, and has grabbed a section of the market. Big multinationals screw smaller businesses out of the market or buys them out then screw the customer. Ill drink est!

It'll leave a bad taste in your mouth.

You have my condolences.

Good News I was in Tops today and for the first time in a long time they had Pepsi Max in cans.