New Year's Eve Fireworks.

Deserted

The main countdown and fire works are in front of Central World shopping mall. Around the corner of Ploenchit Chit and Ratchadamri. There will be lots of people there though so if you don't like crowds be warned. Otherwise you can pay a fortune for one of the roof top restaurants.

I went there last year....never again. It was actually quite scary being in the crowd, lots of people fainting in the nighttime humidity and it was a nightmare trying to buy an overpriced warm beer.

I am in Bkk again this year and am thinking about forking out for one of the restaurants.

The main countdown and fire works are in front of Central World shopping mall. Around the corner of Ploenchit Chit and Ratchadamri. There will be lots of people there though so if you don't like crowds be warned. Otherwise you can pay a fortune for one of the roof top restaurants.

I went there last year....never again. It was actually quite scary being in the crowd, lots of people fainting in the nighttime humidity and it was a nightmare trying to buy an overpriced warm beer.

I am in Bkk again this year and am thinking about forking out for one of the restaurants.

Was it really that bad.. i was going this year.. umm maybe not now.. i don't like crowds at the best of times... where else is there around that area????

Was it really that bad.. i was going this year.. umm maybe not now.. i don't like crowds at the best of times... where else is there around that area????

Yes it was bad and I don't mind being in a crowd, having attended football games in England all my life. This was different, people started to panic and it felt like there was going to be some kind of stampede, I actually got out before the countdown.

If you really want to go to that area there are a few outside bars set up in the square, get there really early, I guess 8ish and try to secure a table. Otherwise fork out a bit of money and go to one of the rooftop bars or restaurants.

I have only been in Bkk on NY a few times though. Surely someone who lives in Bkk has some input.

Edited by lovelaos

Yes it was bad and I don't mind being in a crowd, having attended football games in England all my life. This was different, people started to panic and it felt like there was going to be some kind of stampede, I actually got out before the countdown.

If you really want to go to that area there are a few outside bars set up in the square, get there really early, I guess 8ish and try to secure a table. Otherwise fork out a bit of money and go to one of the rooftop bars or restaurants.

I have only been in Bkk on NY a few times though. Surely someone who lives in Bkk has some input.

Thanks for your information. More info would be nice biggrin.png

Sounds like there will be the traditional fireworks along the Chao Phraya River again this year...

This snippet was in one of the local newspapers a few days back....

Guests will witness a dazzling night of fireworks where Ramada Plaza and other luxury hotels along the river, together with Asiatique, The Riverfront, will put up the biggest firework displays to welcome a brand new year.

Any word on firework display by the river please?

As always there will be fireworks at the river.

You have a number of choices, you can book a table at one of the riverside hotels, very expensive but they are sponsoring the fireworks, book one of the dinner cruises, again expensive about 3,500 Baht, go to the new Asiatique, I suspect that will be very busy as they are heavily promoting it on local tv, or try and find a place to stand by the river or on one of the bridges.

I believe I read they'll be closing the roads around CentralWorld starting at 6 pm tonight... Not sure how wide an area that will apply to...

Make plans for getting there and getting home safely... BTS is supposed to be running until 2 am.... But I suspect it's going to be crazy if you're trying to leave Chidlom or Siam stations along with all the gazillions of people who will be there for the evening.