Caught By The Strange Thai Booze Law

rene123

I was shopping in Tesco this afternoon and remembered that Jaideeguy had recommended an inexpensive rum made in Thailand, called Uncle Tom R. So, I added it to my cart in hopes that it would live up to Jaideeguy's recommendation. At 219 baht a bottle I could hardly go wrong. But, it was 3 oclock when I got to the till and the cashier reminded me that no alcohol is allowed to be sold in Thailand between the times of 2 PM and 5 PM. So, I'll have to try Uncle Tom at a different date. No big deal really, because I'm not a big drinker anyway. And, even if someone was there are many other hours in the day when they could easily satisfy their booze lust. It is just another strange occurance in Thailand and one of many.

If you can find the family run shops that sell alcohol, they usually ignore the time limits.

But I live out in the sticks so it usually isn't a problem for me. I agree it is an unusual law, but what can us mere mortals do about it but abide.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Looks like it's soft drink for you today....until 5pm that is...

Probably for the best. After last night I don't need any more alcohol in my system. Demon run was one of the causes of me losing my virginity 20 years ago. I should have learned my lesson by now.

Probably for the best. After last night I don't need any more alcohol in my system. Demon run was one of the causes of me losing my virginity 20 years ago. I should have learned my lesson by now.

How many times have you lost your virginity?

• Like 1

Once, the same as everyone else. Are the grammar police at it again? Did I miss a comma somewhere? I should have learned my lesson that alcohol affects one's perspective on things.

How mn hanany times have you lost your virginity?

Once, the same as everyone else. Are the grammar police at it again? Did I miss a comma somewhere? I should have learned my lesson that alcohol affects one's perspective on things.

Can you drink a ugly man hansum, or a fat man skinny?

Can you drink a ugly guy mansum, or a fat guy skinny?

Edited by kennedy

OP, since you mention you wanted to buy some of the cheap Thai chemical booze, you should change the topic title.

Let's see if I can do it for you.

Caught Saved By The Strange Thai Booze Law biggrin.png

Could be, I'll not know until I try some. But, at $7 a bottle I can't lose much. Anything will beat a strange Greek wine I tried one time. They added some chemical to the wine in their cellars before they were invaded. Then, after the invaders left they had all this terrible tasting alcoholic drink that they eventually got a taste for and have been making ever since.

In Thailand, this law's been around for many years.

That is true, but if you bought booze as seldom as I do it's easy to forget the strange law. But, this is Thailand and I'm quite willing to accept all the differences from my home country. I'd never want to change Thailand into Canada. Some of the very things that make living here, agravating, are the same things I like about Thailand.

I got caught on Valentine's Day in Siam Paragon. Went in to pick up some steaks and a nice btl of wine from their extensive selection... I strolled over, looked up and saw it was all shut, <deleted>? Oh right... All the Thai staff were looking at their shoes in embarrassment that one could not buy a btl of wine on Valentine's day.

Last time was a Sunday at Villa Market, one bottle of an imported German Weizen beer, about 160b. Cashier refused.

I believe the law was made over school times to curb student drinking. I'm sure I was buying some 15 year old student and his mates a single btl of German beer at 4pm on a Sunday. :rolleyes:

The law was placed on the books back in 1972 by "The Revolutionary Council" during some coup or another. Its intention was to preveny rioting during the coup. The law was ignored for many years until Thaksin found it was still on the books and decided to enforce it to prevent schoolchildren buying booze. That was clearly a disingenuous reason as the only times you can't buy alcohol is when the kids are at school! And how about enforcing the rule that only over-20s can buy alcohol? Anyway it is something I have come to live with. Thank God it doesn't apply to the bars!

The law was placed on the books back in 1972 by "The Revolutionary Council" during some coup or another. Its intention was to preveny rioting during the coup. The law was ignored for many years until Thaksin found it was still on the books and decided to enforce it to prevent schoolchildren buying booze. That was clearly a disingenuous reason as the only times you can't buy alcohol is when the kids are at school! And how about enforcing the rule that only over-20s can buy alcohol? Anyway it is something I have come to live with. Thank God it doesn't apply to the bars!

I think the bars are by law prohibited to sell alcohol before 6pm smile.png

Reminds me of the English Pubs that always opened at 11am and closed at 2pm and the reopened at 5pm and closed at midnight!

...to get the munitions workers back into the factory so we could win the war (which, according to that lifespan of that law, we were still fighting until the late 80s!)

And soon after the Brits changed the law, the Thais adopted it?

Reminds me of the English Pubs that always opened at 11am and closed at 2pm and the reopened at 5pm and closed at midnight!

...to get the munitions workers back into the factory so we could win the war (which, according to that lifespan of that law, we were still fighting until the late 80s!)

Someone had to absorb the law, otherwise where would the British have remained with that law.

Someone had to absorb the law, otherwise where would the British have remained with that law.

I have no idea. Mine was just a throwaway factoid. Personally I drink rarely, but it still gets on my nerves. On one of those rare occasions it always seems to be around 2:05pm that I think "Oh tonight I would love a nice glass of red with that bolognese I made!".

Wasn't about grammar.

Have a nice day.