Holiday Traffic To Doi Intanon Now?

jaideeguy

I drove up there today with my family, and it was quite busy. We left early enough to get ahead of some of the minibuses, but once we left the main road, it was fairly steady traffic all the way up. I just let the crazy ones go by, and took my time. We were on top by 10am, and it was very pleasant. We did not stop at the two stupas, because they were packed out. Some big monk was visiting today, apparently..? We took our own lunch, so didn't have to worry about finding something to eat/drink. The board walk was fun, as we hadn't done that in a while. Driving back was worse. It is a long, tiring day trip, which we don't do often. The first big waterfall on the right was in full flow, but the rest were not as exciting. Have fun..!

I drove up there today with my family, and it was quite busy. We left early enough to get ahead of some of the minibuses, but once we left the main road, it was fairly steady traffic all the way up. I just let the crazy ones go by, and took my time. We were on top by 10am, and it was very pleasant. We did not stop at the two stupas, because they were packed out. Some big monk was visiting today, apparently..? We took our own lunch, so didn't have to worry about finding something to eat/drink. The board walk was fun, as we hadn't done that in a while. Driving back was worse. It is a long, tiring day trip, which we don't do often. The first big waterfall on the right was in full flow, but the rest were not as exciting. Have fun..!

What is the normal time to make the trip? Of course a week or so after the New Year.

Jaideeguy, why don't you take them on the scenic route via Mae Kamphong (with a waterfall) & then over the hill to Jae son NP, returning via the hwy 1252. All to the NE of Chiang Mai, closer to where you live? And probably a lot less crowded. Beautiful scenery, far from the madding crowds....

Jaideeguy, why don't you take them on the scenic route via Mae Kamphong (with a waterfall) & then over the hill to Jae son NP, returning via the hwy 1252. All to the NE of Chiang Mai, closer to where you live? And probably a lot less crowded. Beautiful scenery, far from the madding crowds....

That was my plan B anyway. One of my favorite drives and so close and I consider it one of the best kept tourist secrets around CM......but they are discovering it fast with the 2 different ziplines. Also can hit the SK hot springs on the return.

Thanks to all for the traffic reports. now I can tell the wife that I have 1st hand knowledge of the situation.

It will be so great after Jan 3, when we can have our rose of the north back to ourselves again.

• Like 1

Really busy in town today. I think the car might be staying in the garage till after New Year!

Really busy on superhighway near Saraphi, this afternoon. A lot of vehicles heading towards the city sad.png

And a lot of fresh "white graffiti" on the 500m run up to the traffic lights laugh.png

Edited by MESmith

Really busy in town today. I think the car might be staying in the garage till after New Year!

Very true. I took a ride from the south side of town and down the moat to the road up to Doi Sutthep. It was solid cars all the way and every intersection was a bolox with people going through on red lights and then getting stuck in the intersection... which of course blocked all the vehicles trying to go through on a green light. I'm sure glad I was on my scooter.

luckily we chose the northeast loop, as traffic was minimal and we had a nice cruise up the mountain and back around to the San Kapheng hotsprings [which was a little crowded] and an easy return home....

I hate traffic, especially with a truckload of kids!!

• Like 1

luckily we chose the northeast loop, as traffic was minimal and we had a nice cruise up the mountain and back around to the San Kapheng hotsprings [which was a little crowded] and an easy return home....

I hate traffic, especially with a truckload of kids!!

Which way did you go around, & can you avoid paying to go through Jae Son NP?

Thank you guys for pointing out new places to visit. I checked out Mae Kampong on the Google map but couldn't locate it. But, somehow, I managed to find it. And then this Jae Son NP that MESmith has mentioned is actually Chai Son (Som) National Park. That Highway 1252 seems an interesting route. Will surely visit when the daughter come visiting in Feb. Thanks guys! Oh, it seems it's got hot springs in that national park also!