Border Visa Stamps Are 15 Days Or 30 Days? Confused

I apologize, since I am sure this has been addressed repeatedly here, but since I never did this and have been away from Thailand for a couple of years, I need to ask.

The missus is coming to Thailand with our baby daughter, who does not carry a Thai passport as of yet. They are staying in Thailand 3 months. Should we be getting a 2 tourist visas for her here, so she can have the 2nd one activated on a border run or would the baby be able to get 30 days at the border and save us the expense of the extra visa?

Again, I apologize for what is probably a silly question, but I can't quite find a clear answer in a search of the forum.

Thanks,

Dr. B

• Like 1

A Tourist Visa gives 60 days and can be extended at Immigration by a further 30 days . 1,900 Baht fee.

This would give 90 days total.

Entering at the border without a Visa gives a stay of 15 days.

If the baby does overstay it would not be a problem as kids are not fined for overstay.

Do get the babay a Thai passport, although it may not be in time for this trip.

Assuming the child was born outside of Thailand, apply for a Thai birthcertificate at the Thai embassy for the country she was born. At the same time apply for a Thai passport, this will take some time.

As said, overstay should not be a problem. Also with the birth certificate (proof of Thai nationality) the child can get an extension of stay.

A Tourist Visa gives 60 days and can be extended at Immigration by a further 30 days . 1,900 Baht fee.

This would give 90 days total.

Entering at the border without a Visa gives a stay of 15 days.

If the baby does overstay it would not be a problem as kids are not fined for overstay.

Lite Beer,

Thank you so much for that information, I had not thought of that and it is a huge weight off the mind. I guess we can even forgo the whole tourist visa here then and she can get one on arrival.

Again, thanks for the information.

Regards,

Dr. B

Do get the babay a Thai passport, although it may not be in time for this trip.

Assuming the child was born outside of Thailand, apply for a Thai birthcertificate at the Thai embassy for the country she was born. At the same time apply for a Thai passport, this will take some time.

As said, overstay should not be a problem. Also with the birth certificate (proof of Thai nationality) the child can get an extension of stay.

Thanks, she is getting one when they return. It is a bit of a rushed trip, so we won't be having time to get the pasport before she travels this time.

Thanks Again,

Dr. B

She should have a visa to allow air travel as visa is not available on arrival and visa exempt requires exit ticket within 30 days allowed and many airlines will not board pax not meeting that requirement. If you do not have time just arrive a bit early in case you must buy or change ticket to allow boarding.

She should have a visa to allow air travel as visa is not available on arrival and visa exempt requires exit ticket within 30 days allowed and many airlines will not board pax not meeting that requirement. If you do not have time just arrive a bit early in case you must buy or change ticket to allow boarding.

Do you mean a visa on arrival is not allowed for a baby? My wife is Thai, so she will be traveling on her Thai documentation. Baby Beautiful biggrin.png will be traveling on her US passport.

Dr. B

Edited by Dr. Burrito

There are only half dozen countries allowed visa on arrival (15 day stay and you pay for visa). Most get visa exempt entry of 30 days (which your baby would get on current passport) but airline rules are return or onward ticket would be required at the end of that 30 day period. Your wife is not the issue - it is not having a Thai passport for your child if child does not obtain a visa first.

There are only half dozen countries allowed visa on arrival (15 day stay and you pay for visa). Most get visa exempt entry of 30 days (which your baby would get on current passport) but airline rules are return or onward ticket would be required at the end of that 30 day period. Your wife is not the issue - it is not having a Thai passport for your child if child does not obtain a visa first.

I'll check with the airline, but I confess, for a USA citizen, I have never heard of this as an issue. But the times, they are a changing too, I am sure, so will check with the airline on it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dr. B

It can be an issue, even for us USA citizens, and it is nothing new. Would highly recommend obtaining a tourist visa from a honorary Consulate near you prior to travel. It is the check-in person who can refuse boarding per below (highlights mine):

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

It can be an issue, even for us USA citizens, and it is nothing new. Would highly recommend obtaining a tourist visa from a honorary Consulate near you prior to travel. It is the check-in person who can refuse boarding per below (highlights mine):

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

http://www.starallia...isa-and-health/

Well, all sorted to avoid any drama. Consulate just went ahead and gave her a Non-Imm O, gives her 90 days, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

dr. b