New Year Fines

karlos

Just a quick question.

If i was to be stopped and fined for something unjustified while out of my home province during the New Year period, would i have to pay the fine in the province the ticket was issued, or do I have the option of paying when i return to Bangkok?

I ask this because i'm sure the BIB will stop me over the course of the long weekend, I would rather take a ticket for 500baht than line their pockets with lets say a couple of red ones....

Karl :)

It has to be in the area you were fined in, as they usually take your licence too, otherwise how would you get it back?

I was stopped yesterday at a road block up country, they checked my licence and waved me through. Don't break the law and you won't get fined.

It has to be in the area you were fined in, as they usually take your licence too, otherwise how would you get it back?

I was stopped yesterday at a road block up country, they checked my licence and waved me through. Don't break the law and you won't get fined.

All the times I have been stopped in Bangkok the BIB have taken my license only once (for the number plate being mounted too low) and that was a fair point, so i paid at the station instead of paying the discounted roadside price.

All the other times I have been stopped was buy roadside clowns trying their best to con me out of my hard earned.

If i'm pulled over for breaking the law, then that's just fine (no pun intended) :D

• Like 1

I really would like to know what is the difference between some riders that get fined often and others that seem to have no problem. Is it the nice, expensive, big bike? Riding style? Eye-catching clothes? Aftermarket pipes? Or just bad luck?

Neither me nor my wife had to pay a single baht in the last two years we live and ride in BKK/Prawet. And some say Prawet is the worst place in BKK. So its possible to ride >20k km in and around Bangkok without ticket or paying bribes. They checked the licences a couple of times, thats all. Mostly they did not even stop me or they just smiled and said "go" at the moment they realised i am not thai. I always wear a helmet and try do stick to the law, but thats not always possible as we all know wink.png

• Like 1

You stop? huh.png

If they take your license you obviously pay at their local police station then return with the receipt.... Not sure what your confusion is about.

As for being fined, this time two years ago I had a brand new bike without plates and there was an x'mas/new years crack down on drugs in Bangkok, road blocks everywhere for ten days, ones you couldn't ride through, got pulled over at least five times, not one police officer mentioned that I hadn't a plate on the bike. Show of my Thai license, smiles, politeness, off I went within ten seconds every time. Didn't have to pay one baht.

Went for a new years ride through Kan, Ratchaburi and Petchaburi, didn't see one police officer.

Edited by cbrer

I really would like to know what is the difference between some riders that get fined often and others that seem to have no problem. Is it the nice, expensive, big bike? Riding style? Eye-catching clothes? Aftermarket pipes? Or just bad luck?

Neither me nor my wife had to pay a single baht in the last two years we live and ride in BKK/Prawet. And some say Prawet is the worst place in BKK. So its possible to ride >20k km in and around Bangkok without ticket or paying bribes. They checked the licences a couple of times, thats all. Mostly they did not even stop me or they just smiled and said "go" at the moment they realised i am not thai. I always wear a helmet and try do stick to the law, but thats not always possible as we all know wink.png

Exact same as myself, I reckon the amount of times I've been smiled at and let go within 10 seconds versus the amount of times I've had to pay something must be almost 10:1.

Either run past them, or pull over politely, salute, be ultra polite and apologetic, then on your way.

Must be my area of Bangkok (Prawet)

I had a couple of drinks last night, hence the reason I wrote 'buy' instead of 'by' biggrin.png

I've been ticketed once before without the officer taking anything from me, which is why i asked the question about paying back in my home province, this was also for no plates on a brand new bike smile.png

Edited by karlos

I like the term "for something unjustified" in the OP.

Why would you think getting stopped is "unjustified"

Police will stop you if you have done something wrong or will be stopping or at least slowing all the traffic so they can pick out bikes or vehicles that have done something wrong.

I have never been singled out for something unjustified. The most common offence in BKK is not riding in the left-most lane. But I watched a check point one day and they had a guy about 150m before the check point spotting all the bikes that were not in the left lane. So all the bike that were stopped had done at least one thing wrong.

One can argue that law is stupid, or that once stopped they will find something wrong but that is their job. They in my experience do not stop road users and make up "unjustified" offences.

Plus the police here ,like in some southern US counties, are for the most part self financing so...

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

The one time I paid at the police station in Thong Lo, they radioed the guy back to the police station to bring me my license (it was actually my national ID card, just looks like a Thai license and he accepted it. I didn't have to go back to the checkpoint.

All the other times I get stopped I speak perfect English and go in discussion about my violation, every time it is about riding on the right and I still haven't gotten a decent reply as to why you can't ride there, apart from "Thai law". Then they are pretty quick to give you back your license (yes, now I have a real one) and tell you to get on your way.

Wish i never started this thread now....

Unjustified in my opinion is:

Having to pass a makeshift emissions test for big trucks via the middle lane, then have a Police Officer jump out to fine you for doing so..... What!! I was supposed to wait 2 hours for them to finish their tests or ride on the pavement? :D

Being pulled over and and having nothing found wrong with your bike or paperwork only for the officer to turn around and try to scam you for having your headlights on during the day time, I could really tell he needed some cash…

Being fined for not having a number plate on the bike 2 days after buying the bike and with all the relevant paperwork onboard proving registration was in process (still not sure about the no plates for big bikes in Bangkok, but let’s not go there) :)

Just 3 reasons why i started this thread, having said this though, i find all police officers outside the Prawet district to be fair and I've always had a chat with them about the bike, where i'm from football etc and i'm on my way.

If you just bought a bike, it is legal to ride without plates for the first 30 days, just show them the invoice with the purchase date.

I did and my girlfriend had quite a row with the officer, so did my local Kawasaki dealership down the phone.......

But hey, this was a year ago and my original question about having to pay a fine in the province it was issued in, irrespective of whether my license was taken or not has been answered :)

Having to pass a makeshift emissions test for big trucks via the middle lane, then have a Police Officer jump out to fine you for doing so..... What!! I was supposed to wait 2 hours for them to finish their tests or ride on the pavement? biggrin.png

Being pulled over and and having nothing found wrong with your bike or paperwork only for the officer to turn around and try to scam you for having your headlights on during the day time, I could really tell he needed some cash…

Being fined for not having a number plate on the bike 2 days after buying the bike and with all the relevant paperwork onboard proving registration was in process (still not sure about the no plates for big bikes in Bangkok, but let’s not go there) smile.png

Just 3 reasons why i started this thread, having said this though, i find all police officers outside the Prawet district to be fair and I've always had a chat with them about the bike, where i'm from football etc and i'm on my way.

I stopped paying `fines` when I was shaken down three times in one day. My licence and copy of docs are kept in a separate pocket to my ATM card and cash and I tell the BIB I carry no money or cards. I call my wife on my mobile and then hand it to the officer and tell him he`ll have to sort it out with her. I haven`t paid anything since. By the way, I doubt they`ve even heard of Southampton smile.png , most Thais being sucked in by the big club hype (much like the pot hunters back home) I`m sorry to say.

Having to pass a makeshift emissions test for big trucks via the middle lane, then have a Police Officer jump out to fine you for doing so..... What!! I was supposed to wait 2 hours for them to finish their tests or ride on the pavement? biggrin.png

Being fined for not having a number plate on the bike 2 days after buying the bike and with all the relevant paperwork onboard proving registration was in process (still not sure about the no plates for big bikes in Bangkok, but let’s not go there) smile.png

I stopped paying `fines` when I was shaken down three times in one day. My licence and copy of docs are kept in a separate pocket to my ATM card and cash and I tell the BIB I carry no money or cards. I call my wife on my mobile and then hand it to the officer and tell him he`ll have to sort it out with her. I haven`t paid anything since. By the way, I doubt they`ve even heard of Southampton smile.png , most Thais being sucked in by the big club hype (much like the pot hunters back home) I`m sorry to say.

You'd be surprised, alot of them remember Matt Le God. However I'm sure if it wasn't for him they would never have heard of the club :D :D

Yep i've just rescanned everything as the laminated copies split and soaked up some water.

All good to go now, 8am I'm heading out and meeting up with Jonnie (aka Norman) and the boys for an end of year blast to Rayong :)

Happy New Year to all of you :)