The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

8 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

My reply/comment to post 2983 regarding POR did not make it here so let me repeat from a reliable source. The new restaurant will not be called POR but probably Big Kahuna and the menu and format will have differences. The pictured gentleman I believe is Jim, a cousin of the former owner who returned to USA for health reasons. 

Yes. That is what I heard also. The owner who had the health problems was the one who did all the meats. it was a labor intensive slow process that had to be constantly monitored to come out right. A labor of love as most would put it. He told me the pastrami would take 21 days before it could be served. This was the main reason I heard for closure and not revenue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, Jingthing said:

Keeping to the Chinese topics, I recall another member saying they liked Chinese crispy duck as do I and I mentioned I don't know where to get that in town.

Well I was walking by Walking Street's Bali Hai Chinese & Seafood touristic outdoor restaurant and looked on their menu. They had a Crispy Sichuan Duck for 365. Plus plus of course. Overall I didn't think their prices were as high as I expected considering the venue. For example mapo tofu 155 before plus plus. Haven't tried it yet but the crispy duck definitely sounds appealing. Also of course a place that has Peking Duck for a much higher price than 365!  The restaurant is also a nightly buffet but not a Chinese one for about 900 baht. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2562131-Reviews-Bali_Hai_Chinese_Seafood-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#photos;geo=293919&detail=2562131&ff=73505916&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=73505916&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

MK has the best duck

IMLI GRILL

Close to the Beach Road entrance of Walking Street, right hand side

Indian rolls, tandoori meats and vegetables, biryani

Mini Indian "burritos" of great variety, flavor, and quality, but sadly rather expensive. (With the rents there understandable.)

My subjective feeling about this place is that even though they have tandoori platters and biryani, their main selling point is clearly their INDIAN ROLLS.

So far I tried two of their Roomali roti bread rolls, one with chicken tikka and pickle filling, and one with Paneer Bhurji (a spiced crushed cheese dish) at 160 each. With each roll order you get to choose two small condiment sides of three (yogurt, coriander mint, or tamarind). Needless to say, the sides are all good.

I first ordered one not knowing size and realized it was only a small snack so I needed a second one to satisfy even a moderate hunger.

For the rolls you choose the lower fat Roomali bread or the probably better known paratha, a higher fat bread which you can add an egg to for 20 baht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumali_roti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paratha

Both of my Roomali rolls were absolutely, totally DELICIOUS. :partytime2:The cheese one even better because the melted Indian cheese in it really did remind me of a burrito. 

So that's 320 without a drink for a very moderate amount of "street food" sort of eating. 

Their prices don't compete well with the many street kebab places in town and I wonder if that's going to be a problem for them even though the food is very different from those places (better!). 

This place has an outside grill in front but it's actually a sit down indoor restaurant inside. 

Anyway, l think the food is great.

Focusing on the rolls (if you go there you can see the rest of their small menu including two tandoori chicken legs for 150) you choose the bread type and then the fillings.

Here they are:

Aloo Hariyali

Paneer Tikka

Corn Kebab

Paneer Bhurji 

Chicken Tikka

Chicken Tikka Pickle

Chicken Tikka cheese (sounds great!)

Chicken Seekh (kebab)

Lamb Seekh

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Roast duck and crispy duck aren't the same thing. 

The Roast Duck at LK corner of Soi Buk: and Cent: road is also very good they will serve it full or half, may even do it in smaller portions? Bone in or out. Around 470bt for whole one. Whole will serve 3 with rice for large portion. And it's not scrawny slices like MK. 

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

The Roast Duck at LK corner of Soi Buk: and Cent: road is also very good they will serve it full or half, may even do it in smaller portions? Bone in or out. Around 470bt for whole one. Whole will serve 3 with rice for large portion. And it's not scrawny slices like MK. 

Yes, the duck there is very famous. Whether it's the "best" or not is a matter of debate.

Anyway, most people already know where to get ROAST duck in town.

It's not uncommon.

CRISPY duck is. 

11 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I was never clear if MK origins were Chinese, Japanese, or Thai. I do like their duck. 

From the website,

https://www.mkrestaurant.com/en/history

Suki was first introduced to Thai consumers more than three decades ago. While the name suki might sound Japanese – and most people might assume it is a variation of Japanese shabu shabu – suki is actually a twist on a Chinese steamboat dish. But it is uniquely Thai.

• Like 2

Firepork opening at Pattaya Avenue soon:

https://www.facebook.com/fireporkthailand/

At least they are sure that Muslim won't eat there :-)

You can't always be so sure.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exm4zp/a-muslims-adventures-in-pork

Anyway so they brand as authentic BBQ. Authentic to what BBQ tradition? There are so many. I find it weird that their branding doesn't make that clear.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You can't always be so sure.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exm4zp/a-muslims-adventures-in-pork

Anyway so they brand as authentic BBQ. Authentic to what BBQ tradition? There are so many. I find it weird that their branding doesn't make that clear.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

For me it is perfectly clear. The only restaurant that will barbecue meat before your eyes.

Do you know any other places doing this apart from street sellers ?

What barbecue tradition do you know ? Barbecue is barbecue, I do not see anything else to think about ?! But I might be wrong.

Edited by bleble

1 minute ago, bleble said:

For me it is perfectly clear. The only restaurant that will barbecue meat before your eyes.

Maybe you didn't understand my point.

What NATIONALITY / REGION of BBQ tradition does their food "authentically" represent? Do you know? Then say what it is.

http://worldwidebbq.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I see Bleble thinks my question is funny.

I don't see why it's funny.

If a restaurant is doing ARGENTINE style grilled meats, they tell you.

If a restaurant is doing AMERICAN BBQ, they tell you and often specifify the region down to the CITY as well.

Are we supposed to assume this place is THAI because it's in THAILAND and they don't say?

It's a real question. Anyone that does know, please post the answer. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bleble said:

What barbecue tradition do you know ? Barbecue is barbecue, I do not see anything else to think about ?! But I might be wrong.

Actually BBQ Prime Time on 9 does, if you care to walk over to their grill while they're grilling it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I see Bleble thinks my question is funny.

I don't see why it's funny.

If a restaurant is doing ARGENTINE style grilled meats, they tell you.

If a restaurant is doing AMERICAN BBQ, they tell you and often specifify the region down to the CITY as well.

Are we supposed to assume this place is THAI because it's in THAILAND and they don't say?

It's a real question. Anyone that does know, please post the answer. 

So explain me what is the big difference between different barbecue traditions ? Some put meat to grill on charcoal ? And others put meat to grill on charcoal ? I see now !

:-)

Of course this was mentioned here, but my limited attention-span will not allow me to read thru over 3000 posts.

Question: Restaurant serving (true) Mexican Food? Where?

Waitresses wearing large Sombrero's and Marriatschees playing in the background would be a nice touch, but not mandatory.
- Will travel for good Mexican Food, as long as within Pattaya city-limits.
Thx & cheers.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Of course this was mentioned here, but my limited attention-span will not allow me to read thru over 3000 posts.

Question: Restaurant serving (true) Mexican Food? Where?

Waitresses wearing large Sombrero's and Marriatschees playing in the background would be a nice touch, but not mandatory.
- Will travel for good Mexican Food, as long as within Pattaya city-limits.
Thx & cheers.

None, "true" or "Tex-Mex."  You can go to Mike's Mexican restaurant between Jomtien and Pattaya (maybe soi 5?....look it up).  He makes bland food, but the chile rellenos are just OK (not made with real pablano).  He also makes the best margaritas in town.   In Thailand, there is a place in Bangkok called "La Monita" that is a couple of steps better.  Sadly, we have reached a point where Taco Bell is actually desired by a lot of expats, including me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

None, "true" or "Tex-Mex."  You can go to Mike's Mexican restaurant between Jomtien and Pattaya (maybe soi 5?....look it up).  He makes bland food, but the chile rellenos are just OK (not made with real pablano).  He also makes the best margaritas in town.   In Thailand, there is a place in Bangkok called "La Monita" that is a couple of steps better.  Sadly, we have reached a point where Taco Bell is actually desired by a lot of expats, including me.

If nothing else, I could live with "Taco-Bell".  But where? (haven't been in town for almost a year, so I am not "up to date").

Can you give location(s)? Approximately.

Where is JT when you need him?

Thx &cheers.

22 minutes ago, swissie said:

If nothing else, I could live with "Taco-Bell".  But where? (haven't been in town for almost a year, so I am not "up to date").

Can you give location(s)? Approximately.

Where is JT when you need him?

Thx &cheers.

Having lived in the American SW for most of my life, I avoided Taco Bell like the plague.  Too many better places to eat.  But!  Here in Thailand, I'd visit there for sure!!!! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

define "best"

Define define.

Anyway ... hot news here.

The snazzy front building of Central Mall that used to house Zico's Brazilian Churrasco (BBQ) restaurant (a case where they told you what nationality kind of BBQ they had but they still went out of business, oh well) that sat idle for years and years is now being fixed up for something new.

I like run on sentences. So sue me.

A restaurant? I do not know yet.

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/14/2017 at 7:04 PM, marinediscoking said:

Yes. That is what I heard also. The owner who had the health problems was the one who did all the meats. it was a labor intensive slow process that had to be constantly monitored to come out right. A labor of love as most would put it. He told me the pastrami would take 21 days before it could be served. This was the main reason I heard for closure and not revenue.

Quite some time before they closed, one of the owners chatted with me about the pastrami and at that time he said they were in final negotiations to contract out the pastrami production to a provider in Malaysia.  I quietly wondered if that would result in a lesser quality.  I didn't often have a pastrami sandwich.  When I would order other random sandwiches, I was always satisfied.  Toward the end, I tended to order the pepperoni/cheese calzones, which I *really* liked.  I think some people looked at the menu and thought the prices were too high, but I always thought the quality supported the price.  I look forward to see what the place becomes next.

• Like 1