The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I've posted about this before in detail. There are already several local authentic Chinese restaurants in offering Sichuan Mala dishes. But weirdly most of them don't serve strong or fresh enough Sichuan peppers in the dishes.

As far as outdoor Mala BBQ meat sticks there are already places like that in Pattaya Chinatown north of Marina Mall. There's also a small place with such sticks on Jomtien Beach road named Mala.

What is mala? The ma is the aromatic tingling Sichuan pepper flavor and the la is the more familiar hot spicy pepper flavor.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Do you realize it has only been open for a few days?  They need time to get everything right. I can say, for a fact, the existing staff are professional in the way they interact with customers, and the food is really good (excellent breakfast items and the pizza and burgers are, IMHO, the best in town). 

Frasers did the same sort of thing when they opened. They started with a reduced menu and added items every few days. I was really impressed how mistake free for a new Western food place in Thailand it was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2018 at 12:08 PM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Do you realize it has only been open for a few days?  They need time to get everything right. I can say, for a fact, the existing staff are professional in the way they interact with customers, and the food is really good (excellent breakfast items and the pizza and burgers are, IMHO, the best in town). 

Yes sure, they need to go back to school to understand that not being open for dinner is stupid. A very good start ! Wish them the best.

Like to recommend a 3 pm. 50 % discount at East Coast Kitchen, thanks to excellent eatigo, on sixth floor of Holiday Inn's new backyard building.  Restaurant is next to the pool, so after eating (the biggest piece of tender grilled salmon ever), I brought my Wifi out to sit by the pool and digest.  Then I enjoyed a swim.  This pool gets sunshine, so it is warmer than some.

I will be doing this again.

• Like 1

Baan Thai Kitchen

Jomtien 2nd road

English sign.

Thai seafood/fish done a limited number of ways

Open evenings only.

Located across the street from Laong's Bistro. Map here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g3366878-d8857194-Reviews-Laong_s_Bistro_Boutique-Jomtien_Beach_Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

This locals mostly open air restaurant is covered with a traditional "Thai house" architecture. From outside it appears to be a full menu Thai restaurant, but alas, it is not.

What is offered is seafood/fish and fish done in various but limited ways:

In Rice porridge

In a clear soup

Stir fried (most expensive dishes)

Suki

Rather surprisingly -- NO TOM YUM

There is an English menu but it isn't all that clear and English is very limited.

But worth a shot, I thought. 

Had the seafood combination soup (more specific ones like just squid and just shrimp are offered as well) large/special sized at 100. Regular size 70. Added rice. I was pleasantly surprised that the bowl included fish as well. Being labelled seafood I assumed it would be all shellfish. Also no B.S. like fake crab. 

It's a simple clear broth with seafood and Chinese cabbage but the fish and seafood was ample, large sized, perfectly cooked, and delicious. Served with what seemed to be a special green seafood sauce. Yes, that's served everywhere with Thai seafood, but this seemed different, in a good way. 

As I was up for a major meal and wanted to sample more of their menu, I tried their seafood dry suki at 70 baht. Served with another special sauce, this time red Sriracha style. This  was the best dry suki I've ever had. Contact Michelin?

A mystery to me is exactly what is in the more expensive dry seafood stir fries (one price, 150). I'm thinking maybe vermicelli noodles, but I don't know yet. I assume at least it's a bigger quantity of seafood/fish than in the soups though. Spicy or not, I don't know.

I love this kind of restaurant that focuses on a very limited menu and does it very well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As far as I know (please correct if wrong) this is the only fuller menu Lanna restaurant in town.

There's also a little shophouse in a soi between Father Ray and Boonthaworn on Sukhumvit road that has decent Lanna cuisine

here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2018 at 12:35 PM, FashionExport said:

Yes sure, they need to go back to school to understand that not being open for dinner is stupid. A very good start ! Wish them the best.

They have announced today that as of next week they are remaining open until 9 pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

There's also a little shophouse in a soi between Father Ray and Boonthaworn on Sukhumvit road that has decent Lanna cuisine

here

Also the longstanding place on 3rd Road.

And the place on the North side of 3rd Road, that only seems to open in the evening.

And .... sure there is one more, that I can not remember just now.

3 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

If you are a fan of Vietnamese dishes, you should give 'Saep Der' a try on Pattaya Tai.

It's a 24 hour Guaytiew Restaurant that does some excellent Vietnamese dishes between Midday and 9pm.

That's a long road. Where exactly on Pattaya Tai?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Also the longstanding place on 3rd Road.

And the place on the North side of 3rd Road, that only seems to open in the evening.

And .... sure there is one more, that I can not remember just now.

Full menu Lanna places those? Rather than just mostly Khao Soy curry noodle soup? 

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Gasalawng in Tree Town not open last night.

Erratic opening hours, is a sure sign, it wont be around for long.

Well, you really never know with restaurants here. It's a high risk, high turnover business all over the world. My philosophy is when you find a restaurant you like here, be sure to eat there sooner than later because when you feel like going there later, there may be no there there. Also, restaurants often change for the worse, so if it's good now, even if it's still open, no guarantee it will be good next week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, you really never know with restaurants here. It's a high risk, high turnover business all over the world. My philosophy is when you find a restaurant you like here, be sure to eat there sooner than later because when you feel like going there later, there may be no there there. Also, restaurants often change for the worse, so if it's good now, even if it's still open, no guarantee it will be good next week. 

Too-true, in my experience. I used to be disappointed, I now half expect it.

Any recommends on a decent Indian Restaurant, tried many including some with many Indian customers and was disappointed. Used to go to the Curry Hut in Jomtien but it has changed hands, food not the same and they allow smoking inside! I do like Bollywood but hard to get parked in that area .

Any recommends on a decent Indian Restaurant, tried many including some with many Indian customers and was disappointed. Used to go to the Curry Hut in Jomtien but it has changed hands, food not the same and they allow smoking inside! I do like Bollywood but hard to get parked in that area .
Probably also bad parking but you might want to try Happa Grill. Valet parking offered?

http://happagrill.com

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

I tried the new Texas Chicken (aka Church's Chicken in Canada) at Central Marina.  Taste is the same.  Doesn't seem as oily as in America.  The butter biscuit is tasty.  

2 pieces of chicken, 1 butter biscuit, small fries, pop, and promo ice cream for 119 baht.  Good deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried the new Texas Chicken (aka Church's Chicken in Canada) at Central Marina.  Taste is the same.  Doesn't seem as oily as in America.  The butter biscuit is tasty.  

2 pieces of chicken, 1 butter biscuit, small fries, pop, and promo ice cream for 119 baht.  Good deal.
Didn't like the chicken comparied to KFC but it was bigger. But loved that American biscuit thing definitely going back to get the biscuits with honey and maybe try the wraps.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

AREPAS Venezuelan "Street Kitchen"

Shop house restaurant not yet open on Thappraya Road, Jomtien close to Simon's Fish and Chips

Definitely will be the first Venezuelan restaurant in town!

I wish they were going to do baked South American empanadas too but that's asking too much.

What are Apepas?