The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

23 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes, Soi watboon. 

Anyway after my trip to Soi watboon , on my return to Pattaya I passed the new Venezuelan streetfood place Arepa in Jomtien , next to Simons. I stopped by for a sandwich and all I can say is it was amazing ! 

The owner is from Venezuela and also runs a similar place in London. 

He deserves a lot of business, so stop by if you're in the area.

Thanks so much for the update on Arepazos.:partytime2:

They must have just opened because I walked by a few days ago and wasn't yet open. They have part of the Jomtien menu on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/ArepazoBros

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Indian ?

Marugame Seimen is a Japanese Franchise Chain.

What he means I think is that there are two "restaurants" there side by side, the Japanese noodle chain and the separate low budget Indian. They have no relation to each other than proximity. Or maybe he thinks because the Japanese place serves Japanese curry that's it's Indian? Anyway ... 

Does anybody know of a bar/pub that has cod & chips on its menu (apart from Retox game on). And I don't mean a fish and chip shop like Jolly Friar or Simons. Most of them have fish & chips but its Pangasius from the Mekong.

Not so wild goose chase.

I've heard good things about Barcode Turkish restaurant on the darkside but I haven't been. A while back I read in the "press" that they were planning on opening an in town location (good idea!). Well the other day on a Buakow baht bus I saw a big sign for BARCODE down some small dead end soi north a bit from Buakow night market area.

Well, I stopped in today and there is nothing Turkish about it. It's fair to assume this might have been a failed Barcode attempt but it's just another Thai and seafood restaurant with a predictable menu. (No customers in sight.)

Anyway for the dark side people --

https://www.facebook.com/barcodbarrestaurant/

One of my favorite Italian restaurants in Jomtien, La Taverna, in Jomtien has apparently changed hands and they're not off to a good start. The prices are about the same but the menu is shorter. Dinner companion not happy when a menu item was dropped so ordered lasagna as an alternative. Another friend ordered white wine from the menu, two minutes later, sorry no have. Friend says there is a store across the street. Two minutes later, sorry can't do. Five minutes later, sorry no lasagna. That did it, give us the check please we are leaving. Almost 30 minutes later the staff is struggling to put together the bills and make change. The staff was emptying their pockets to come up with the change. Needless to say La Taverna has been scratched from our restaurant list. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not so wild goose chase.

I've heard good things about Barcode Turkish restaurant on the darkside but I haven't been. A while back I read in the "press" that they were planning on opening an in town location (good idea!). Well the other day on a Buakow baht bus I saw a big sign for BARCODE down some small dead end soi north a bit from Buakow night market area.

Well, I stopped in today and there is nothing Turkish about it. It's fair to assume this might have been a failed Barcode attempt but it's just another Thai and seafood restaurant with a predictable menu. (No customers in sight.)

Anyway for the dark side people --

https://www.facebook.com/barcodbarrestaurant/

They closed on the Darkside almost 2 years ago. They moved to a place on 3rd Rd and then closed that also. For a short time they they we involved in another Turkish restaurant on Soi 12 or thereabouts on Beach Rd. Then they withdrew from that so are no longer functioning. it's a pity as Mehmets food and hospitality were excellent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, roger101 said:

Does anybody know of a bar/pub that has cod & chips on its menu (apart from Retox game on). And I don't mean a fish and chip shop like Jolly Friar or Simons. Most of them have fish & chips but its Pangasius from the Mekong.

Murphy's and Tropical on the darkside

11 minutes ago, tolsti said:

They closed on the Darkside almost 2 years ago. They moved to a place on 3rd Rd and then closed that also. For a short time they they we involved in another Turkish restaurant on Soi 12 or thereabouts on Beach Rd. Then they withdrew from that so are no longer functioning. it's a pity as Mehmets food and hospitality were excellent.

Thanks for that. There are Tripadvisor reviews from Feb. and March 2017 though. 

12 hours ago, roger101 said:

Murphy's and Tropical both on Darkside.

5 minutes ago, tolsti said:

Those would have been for the 3rd Rd site at that time. 

Makes sense. That site often doesn't update addresses and stuff. People write current reviews for places that have burned down. Too bad I didn't know about the 3rd road try. Sometimes it's worth it to ADVERTISE maybe?

9 hours ago, hackjam said:

Murphy's and Tropical both on Darkside.

Kiss has Cod and Chips as a new menu item. It is coated with a cross between batter and breadcrumbs and the cod was excellent. It is 220 Baht plus 7% VAT. A small salad and tartare sauce are included. Chips are so so.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Linda's Norwegian Restaurant

Linda's Norwegian Restaurant

Tappraya Road, Jomtien (across from Jomtien complex nightlife area)

Review of Scandanavian Sandwich buffet (12 to 5), 198 baht

I'm not revealing any insider secrets here because this has been well publicized in the local "press" but long standing and well respected Linda's restaurant has changed things up recently so it's worth a fresh look. 

http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/lindas-les-lindas-meny-211067

Linda's has been well known for high quality food but not the cheapest prices. 

Now they have a new more budget friendly breakfast and Scandanavian sandwich buffet lunch menu and they have also revamped their standard lunch and dinner menu as well (though still a bit pricey).

For similar food nearby for somewhat lower prices, you might want to check Joy Enjoy down the alley next to the nearby Tops market.

Anyway I visited the sandwich lunch buffet recently and overall I was quite impressed.

This is a REAL buffet. It's not metered by waiters with raised eyebrows if you order more food (annoying). 

There is a large buffet table with breads (which you don't need because of the sandwiches), salad makings, some kind of cold pasta dish, and a soup. All decent stuff.

The star of course is the sandwich case. There you have a choice of eight different types. Not sure they always have the eight but they were aggressively restocking items on the spot, especially the popular ones like shrimp and salmon w/ egg. 

- Shrimp sandwich with mayonnaise, lemon and dill. Roast beef sandwich with potato salad. Smoked salmon sandwich with scramble egg. Gravlax sandwich with dill stewed potatatoes and mustard sauce. Chicken liver pate with bacon. Ham and cheese omelet sandwich. Karbonade med løk. Lakse cabaret med majones.

http://www.lindasrestaurant.com/Content/Archive/301/Menu-2018-lunch-329947.pdf

When I first spoke to the waitress she said I could take two or three and then muttered all you want. In other words it's not limited to three. You won't be charged more if you take more than three. Of course, don't take more than you can or want to eat!

As this was a brunch for me, I ended up taking four (three at first and then later) because they aren't very large (they are open face one slice things) and I wanted a good sample of what's on offer.

They aren't the best Scandanavian sandwiches I've ever had (I've been to Denmark) but I would rate them as very good and quite authentic.

I tried the shrimp, salmon w/ egg, beef, and some weird stuff in aspic. I wouldn't get the aspic thing again but glad I tried it.

At only 198 (without drink and 7 percent tax added) I think this is a great option especially for a BRUNCH, when you come hungry. 

Bravo to Linda's for doing this concept in Jomtien! (I'll be back.)

Breakfast and/or night before leftovers?

Edited by champers

3 minutes ago, champers said:

Breakfast and/or night before leftovers?

Not sure what you're asking. 

I reviewed the lunch buffet, noon to 5 pm.

The breakfast menu starts at 7 a.m.

I'm not privy to their food stocking policies but I can say everything I had tasted fresh enough, nothing at all suspect. 

Edited by Jingthing

"The Great Cafe Ritz"

Tappraya Road, Jomtien

British style food including roasts, generous portions.

Near the new Arepazo Venezuluan restaurant and Simon's Fish and Chips 

Oldie but goodie returns to the Jomtien Complex area.

Many people know "Chef John" of Cafe Ritz in the Jomtien area.

Well there some kind of soap opera story here we don't need to get into because there is an existing restaurant where Chef John used to cook in the complex, but it seems the "real" Chef John is on the comeback.

Not sure if it's open quite yet but it sounds like at least SOON.

A sign in front of the new place states:

After a long time illness Chef John has forfill (sic) his dream to open again. A restaurant in Jomtien Plaza, it will be run along the lines of his past restaurant with many new dishes which has has studies over the past 1 1/2 years. He welcome old and new customer and to keep the same standard as in the past.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, altcar bob said:

The new Jap/Indian..Marugame Seimen.. Udon and Tempura fast food place,food court Big C  Pattaya Klang is really really good,try the Jap curry  79 baht  delicious,or the Indian section next door,advertised as 40 percent cheaper than equiv restaurants,never one for self advertising ,but this one is good

I really like Marugame Udon.  Been to the ones in Jakarta and Bangkok.  Went to the Marugame Seimen at Big C last week.  Much smaller selection of menu items since it is only a food park vs. a real restaurant in other cities.  The Big C one is a bit cheap on the amount of udon they put in the bowl but still worth going to.  I'm hoping Terminal 21 Pattaya will have a Marugame Udon as one was scheduled to open this Summer at Terminal 21 in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Kerala

(specific South Indian regional) Indian restaurant

2nd road, South Pattaya

From the owners of and next door to Indigo (north Indian) restaurant next door.

http://www.indigopattaya.com/

Indian food lovers in Pattaya. Aren't we lucky? Not only are there more Indian restaurants here than you could possibly count, but the market is so sophisticated that Indian REGIONAL restaurants can be supported as well.

OK, I'm not saying it's best town in the world for Indian food, but there are options.

Anyway, today it's about this new place Kerala.

Like it's neighbor Indigo, it is not cheap.

The menu is quite impressive as it really does include a lot of specifically Kerala dishes.

I tried the Kerala style vegetarian thali, traditionally served on a banana leaf with refills available. 

This one not served on a banana leaf and no refills.

What was served was a large portion of Kerala style rice (my first time) with a small bland cabbage dish, a small spicy green bean dish, a small plain curd, and some bland sambar. 

The rice was wonderful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matta_rice

I thought the overall portion and variety of the other dishes was inadequate for the price of 325. As I love spicy food, I particularly enjoyed the spicy green bean dish.

Indian breakfast items including Kerala specific ones served all day.

Sample prices -- 

Kerala rice (a la carte) 100

Kerala meat biryani 300

Kerala chickpea curry 150

Kerala Chicken Varatharacha Curry 280

I think there is added tax cost according to the menu but on my visit for some reason I wasn't charged.

I'd probably recommend a visit to at least try the rice but I'm personally a bit put off by the value for money factor there.

Edited by Jingthing

Great news about the sandwich buffet for us Scandinavians. I will drop by next time I'm in the area. Shrimp sandwich is a Norwegian speciality, and of course you can not get enough of smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.

• Like 2

Great news about the sandwich buffet for us Scandinavians. I will drop by next time I'm in the area. Shrimp sandwich is a Norwegian speciality, and of course you can not get enough of smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.

Great but don't get too excited. I reckon their profit margins are related to how many sandwiches people take but I reckon it probably averages out to 3 or 4.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, balo said:

Is candied salmon a thing in Norway? Seen any in Thailand?

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/indian-candy-smoked-salmon-47871

Comfort By Harlan

Pratamnak

https://www.comfortbyharlan.com/

Meet Michelin Star "Celebrity" Chef Harlan Goldstein!

Putting Pattaya on the international food map? I dunno. 

But I love his quote about our adopted city --

"It's the most disgusting place ... and I love it."

I can imagine John Waters saying something like that. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Buono Italian Restaurant

Soi 4 Jomtien

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buono/149626182316293

A serious Italian restaurant (chef and ingredients) that is getting good comments.

Haven't tried yet.

They have a promotion "until" September Buy a pizza or pasta and get one free plus drinks 30 percent off, Monday through Saturdays, 2 to 6 pm.

I think they also have daily specials of a pizza and pasta that is not on the more limited menu choices for the 2 for 1. 

• Like 1