The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 2/14/2021 at 6:34 AM, hackjam said:

Had an excellent Indian meal at the Curry Home last night, located on Soi Buakhao, near Lengkee junction.

My favorite place in and around Pattaya right now for Indian food.

Also, see India By Nature, the outstanding Indian restaurant near the Airport bus station in Jomtien, are doing 20% off dine in and 30% off for takeaways for this month. 

Thanks .Near me. I will take a look at the menu.

On the subject of Indian restaurants I noticed a couple of positive reviews here on Masala Twist Jomtien a while back.

I have never been.

Has anyone here been there or had food from there in the last couple of months or so?

I like their menu offering and their prices are fine for me.

Thinking of taking a visit.

Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Am I (or others) wasting my time even bothering to post about such non-mass market food types as above?

You are only likely to get my attention with food types I am familiar, UK, USA, Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, Middle Eastern etc etc... but if you get into Georgian, Latvian, Russian and such I will be skipping over it. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are only likely to get my attention with food types I am familiar, UK, USA, Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, Middle Eastern etc etc... but if you get into Georgian, Latvian, Russian and such I will be skipping over it. 

You bring up a good point regarding unfamiliar food.....

Which is one reason of that Indian food has such a hard time gaining traction with farangs.......In Pattaya or anywhere else for that matter......

Take a test......

How many Indian foods is anyone familiar with from this list....

List of Indian dishes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_dishes

My bet is close to ZERO for about 99% of farangs.....

With other countries unfamiliar food names at least you might have "SOME'' idea what the food is but with Indian food its hopeless without Googling the name...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well obviously very few people are interested in the food of ALL countries. Even myself. It sounds like you are interested in a healthy diverse range though. 

Edited by Jingthing

And, to be honest, in Thailand, there is not a lot of difference between the curries,. Most places will have a dozen different curries and some will have coconut milk in. Apart from the ones with coconut milk, they are similar.

Aside, Masala Twist is worth a visit

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Any decent Lebanese restaurant in Pattaya? 

You haven't tried Grillicious at Terminal 21?

https://m.facebook.com/grilliciouslebanese/

It's open and on apps.

I consider it decent. Plus they have kibbeh.

There used to be a number but I'm not sure what's left open.

Related food but not specifically Lebanese is the quite good Falafel.and Hummus on Pratumnak. 

https://m.facebook.com/falafelandhummus1

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jwdub said:

Somewhat related is Falafel Ruty who operates a stand in the Jomtien night market.

I'm not an expert on this type of food but found her falafels in pita bread quite tasty.

She's also just branched out a stand quite recently in the Avenue shopping center on

2nd road adding a shakshuka dish to her menu there

Indeed.

I haven't tried her food yet but the shakshuka looks good. Does anyone know what time she quits for the day at the Avenue?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jwdub said:

Somewhat related is Falafel Ruty who operates a stand in the Jomtien night market.

I'm not an expert on this type of food but found her falafels in pita bread quite tasty.

She's also just branched out a stand quite recently in the Avenue shopping center on

2nd road adding a shakshuka dish to her menu there

Food there is just as any other shop selling falafel and hummus, but I have never found as cheap as here and the girl is more than friendly (but I have to agree that I am a handsome man ???? ).

Clearly recommend, but I won't say that it's over good or not, because just as mcdonalds burgers, they all are the same.

7 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

Clearly recommend, but I won't say that it's over good or not, because just as mcdonalds burgers, they all are the same.

Clearly you've never tried Burger King. Succulent and tasty with their own unique dressing. Best burgers this side of the Pacific. Highly recommended.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, polpott said:

Clearly you've never tried Burger King. Succulent and tasty with their own unique dressing. Best burgers this side of the Pacific. Highly recommended.

I like the "Italian" burger at Marco's but alas its 390 baht. Oh my.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

An update on Yupas Soul food restaurant on Soi Lengkee. Close to the 3rd road side.

They are indeed open.

Daily except Monday. 

It's a small shop so I suggest avoiding peak hours.

They're not currently on any apps but will deliver if you call them for a fee.

They haven't been updating their FB page. Perhaps too busy cooking.

I did stop in and had the Louisiana style red beans and rice (200) and collard greens side (100). It had sausage in it and included a small corn bread muffin. They do indeed sell collard greens.  Their original now gone Grab listing didn't show it so I incorrectly assumed they didn't have it

The red beans and rice dish was as good as can be hoped for in Thailand. I was less thrilled with the collard greens. While authentically containing ham, the overall flavor profile reminded me too much of soupy greens you'd find at Thai street food. Not saying it was bad but it just didn't transport me to deep south USA.

Side note. I think the classic meat flavoring for collard greens is ham hocks. But I was reading about a famous soul food restaurant n D.C. that uses smoked turkey wings instead. I think I've had it like that and yes even better.

Many more items to try on their menu!

I would say come on down y'all.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yupas-Soul-Food-and-Thai-Kitchen/

I think neckbones (fresh or smoked) are pretty if not most common with greens.  Hocks in beans is real common. 

I does not surprise me they are not able to use decent ham, not sure where they would even get it. Tough to get decent bacon here as well, at least with enough flavor to do justice to a pot of greens...

• Like 2