The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why, some people will be glad to eat out and manage without? 

Particularly for breakfast!

So true, looking forward to getting out for meals again.

And also, will be glad to see staff back earning coin again, suspect been a tough few weeks for them.

15 hours ago, hackjam said:

Good info, and yes, anytime we have ordered Thai food from GRAB, been mainly disappointed. 

So will give this place a go.

Missus reckons its called Janeee, and the 3 is for third road.

Well I'm not saying their food is all that but I think its decent enough. Please let us know what she thinks.  I will live in eternal shame if she hates it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aroy Zap

https://aroihooor.com/?fbclid=IwAR1YT0wig6JbyT-LGJF6Z3FKP5U-vashjT6FZN3EokA5T7Hh6ZcK04tiJP0

Available for delivery from the Lineman app.

Based on the map on Lineman it appears to be close to Sukhumwit in Naklua?

They appear to specialize in Massaman. They have with chicken legs or beef Tenderloin.

I had the chicken version at 150 baht. This was the best Massaman that I've had in Pattaya and that includes the famous place on Pattaya Klang. 

It arrived without asking very spicy and somewhat sweet.

Also tried the Fried pork balls at 120 also very good but I really wish they had some other healthier options to go with their Massaman.

But that's a petty complaint. I now have a go to place for Massaman, more like it comes to me.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My go to Indian restaurant has changed again. 

It is now Everest.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10384221-Reviews-or10-Everest_Indian_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

So far I am enjoying the flavors of everything from there but unfortunately find their breads underwhelming. Prices moderate for the local market.

A special thing about the place is that they offer some Himalayan style dishes such as very good Nepalese momos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Aroy Zap

https://aroihooor.com/?fbclid=IwAR1YT0wig6JbyT-LGJF6Z3FKP5U-vashjT6FZN3EokA5T7Hh6ZcK04tiJP0

Available for delivery from the Lineman app.

Based on the map on Lineman it appears to be close to Sukhumwit in Naklua?

They appear to specialize in Massaman. They have with chicken legs or beef Tenderloin.

I had the chicken version at 150 baht. This was the best Massaman that I've had in Pattaya and that includes the famous place on Pattaya Klang. 

It arrived without asking very spicy and somewhat sweet.

Also tried the Fried pork balls at 120 also very good but I really wish they had some other healthier options to go with their Massaman.

But that's a petty complaint. I now have a go to place for Massaman, more like it comes to me.

You don't need to include the Tracking element with the links: https://aroihooor.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all! I'm looking for a seafood / BBQ / soup buffet for about ฿200. I have found a few, but not quite what I'm looking for. Mainly, I'd like crab and possibly lobster, fish, larger shrimp, different oysters and beef. I know. I'm just being cheap. My bad! 

For ฿89. There is a descent buffet "สลาตัน กระทะร้อนThey have razor clams and small sized shrimp, pork, chicken, small selection of vegetables, Som Tam station, fries, pastas and chicken for kids as well as ice cream (Vanilla and coconut) and watermelon for desert. The atmosphere is nice, playing Thai music and you can order "Fancier" drinks from the shop 10 feet away for about ฿40-180. I would recommend going at 5:00ish as later the ice on the food melts and doesn't seem to get replenished. I've only been twice. Maybe they don't even use ice, lol! I really like the table spacing and outdoor seating. 1/3 of the shop is under a metal roof high above and 2/3 is completely uncovered. It made the BBQ smoking issue minimal being outdoor and table spacing far apart. 

For ฿99 is the ever so popular "จุ่มโจร 99บาทI say popular, because in the evening it is full pretty much every night I drive by. I have never been but I have been told they do not have seafood. Possibly they have clams and shrimp. Maybe you can verify. The photos show quite an array of meats, vegetables, and deserts. I do see the bumpy squid in one photo. This  shop is pretty much indoor and all the tables seem to be close together. Not my fave, but I'm going to go try soon anyhow. 

For ฿249? (Thats what the sign says on google) แบกะดิน 2 Baegathin 2, Moo Gratha is a seafood buffet recommended to me by a friend. The photos show they have quite a bit of seafood selection. I see snails, various clams, beef, larger shrimp, squid, fake crab, vegetables and mushrooms. They have BBQ grill not just the soup pan grill, They seem to have a full menu also with many items I would assume are on the buffet. Again, I am unsure because I have not been there. Maybe you could clarify. 

Thanks for the info all! There is light at the end of the tunnel! 

• Haha 2

Leckerle

German in Naklua? Soi 33. Who would have thunk it? 

LECKERLE, Pattaya - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Yeah I've done German restaurants in Naklua but for some reason never ate at Leckerle.  I recently heard some really good things about their pea soup (a favorite) of mine and then I saw that the Hungry Now app was offering good promotions on some of their dishes, so I ordered me in some.

I had the split pea soup with sausage, comes with dark bread and butter. 120

Also the schnitzel served with lovely shoestring fries and generous salad. (On promotion Hungry Now.)

The split pea soup was some of the best I've ever had of either the Dutch, American, or German persuasions. The schnitzel was certainly nice but I'm sure it would have been nicer served in house (so not their fault as not an ideal delivery item). 

I seriously love their split pea soup. Why go anywhere else for split pea soup? In fact, I intend to use their split pea soup as a base for cooking some pasta fagioli at home. Add the beans, pasta, and greens. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I honestly can't think of anything worse to eat in Thailand, than Moo Grataa.

Add in that you stink for the remainder of the evening from the cooking at the table, and its big no thanks here.

Quite different for me, if you can find a good one. Almost like camping, but more convenient. Can really be quite cosy.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Aroy Zap

I'll definitely give this place a try.  thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tamales! Get your hot Tamales!

Tamales are a very rare commodity in Pattaya, so this is definitely news. Dave's Mexican used to have them but that place is long closed.

Tigglebitties now has tamales, chicken or pork.

Tigglebitties Tavern - หน้าหลัก | Facebook

It's separate delivery arm 

Hotmeals2u Order Quality Food Online With Delivery all over Pattaya

doesn't yet have them on their menu, but did feature them today as a special.

I reckon they will eventually be on their menu or at least a regular special option.

I chose the chicken tamales which was a substantial meal consisting of:

2 tamales wrapped in banana leaves

Mexican rice

Refried beans

Ranchero sauce

Plastic cups of cheese (melt in the beans) and sour cream.

250 baht

OK, the tamales were on the too dry side but the flavor was believably tamale-esque and the red sauce helped wet things up. 

I would recommend adding extra spice at home if you have it. I use Chipotle hot sauce.

I'm curious to see how the pork compares. No, I don't like their tamales as much as their super burritos but if you're jonesing for tamales in Pattaya, where else are you gonna go?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

hello, any idea where to eat the real carbonara with only eggs and no cream ?

I understand that most people do not even know that real carbonara has no cream, but is there at least one restaurant owner who knows ?!

thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:40 AM, TaaSaparot said:

I honestly can't think of anything worse to eat in Thailand, than Moo Grataa.

Add in that you stink for the remainder of the evening from the cooking at the table, and its big no thanks here.

yes really ! just smelling it makes me feel like vomit.

But maybe we don't know and there is a better quality mookata ?!

1 hour ago, thcosh said:

hello, any idea where to eat the real carbonara with only eggs and no cream ?

I understand that most people do not even know that real carbonara has no cream, but is there at least one restaurant owner who knows ?!

thank you.

Any Italian restaurant run by Italians will know; just ask them. Real carbonara? Do you know where to find real Pancetta in Thailand? Be realistic, unless you are prepared to pay the big bucks and I know that you are not, you are not going to get a real anything.

Carbonara: Pancetta/Guanciale(expensive, if at all available), Parmigiano Reggiano(expensive) 

Unless you are willing to pay for it, you aren't going to get a 'real' anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Any Italian restaurant run by Italians will know; just ask them. Real carbonara? Do you know where to find real Pancetta in Thailand? Be realistic, unless you are prepared to pay the big bucks and I know that you are not, you are not going to get a real anything.

Carbonara: Pancetta/Guanciale(expensive, if at all available), Parmigiano Reggiano(expensive) 

Unless you are willing to pay for it, you aren't going to get a 'real' anything.

Pancetta is for sale in many supermarkets but I make my carbonara with a very good German smoked streaky bacon  ... and no cream.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, Eindhoven said:

I notice no mention of Parmigiano Reggiano ????

As an aside and off-topic I know; anyone who wants to have the real thing and not the rubbish they call Parmesan locally, can find this Organic/BIO Parmigiano Reggiano: https://www.carrefour.fr/p/parmigiano-reggiano-bio-aop-carrefour-bio-3560070924950 at half price at TOPS Central Festival. 190 baht. Ignore the price on the label. Good stuff. Cheapskates need not apply. It's quality at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

As an aside and off-topic I know; anyone who wants to have the real thing and not the rubbish they call Parmesan locally, can find this Organic/BIO Parmigiano Reggiano: https://www.carrefour.fr/p/parmigiano-reggiano-bio-aop-carrefour-bio-3560070924950 at half price at TOPS Central Festival. 190 baht. Ignore the price on the label. Good stuff. Cheapskates need not apply. It's quality at a reasonable price.

How long does the application process take?

^^

I should add that they are in the basket on the floor of the fridge next to the Fontina proscuitto.. not in the usual place at the beginning of the chiller. The ones in the usual place are priced at 319 baht.

Also grabbed one of these for around 100 baht; down from 179 baht: https://www.delameredairy.co.uk/products/goats-cheese/medium-goats-cheese/

A review of a few things I have had from Hungry Hippo in the last month...

#1... Their Chicken Masala (Indian Food) Not bad but not good...Sort of edible.........  I will never order again....

#2...Their Hamburger......Worst hamburger I have had in ages......I bought it so I felt obligated to choke it down....And the fries were bad too....I will never order again....100% NO.........

#3...The  Lasagna........The Lasagna was pretty good, almost very good....I was quite happy and felt the Lasagna. was good food at a good price.....I would order the Lasagna. again........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

A review of a few things I have had from Hungry Hippo in the last month...

#1... Their Chicken Masala (Indian Food) Not bad but not good...Sort of edible.........  I will never order again....

#2...Their Hamburger......Worst hamburger I have had in ages......I bought it so I felt obligated to choke it down....And the fries were bad too....I will never order again....100% NO.........

#3...The  Lasagna........The Lasagna was pretty good, almost very good....I was quite happy and felt the Lasagna. was good food at a good price.....I would order the Lasagna. again........

As Meatloaf didn't say: one out of three ain't good.

• Haha 1