The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Yet another very tempting daily changed menu at Ali Baba Express. 

https://m.facebook.com/Eastsiam/photos/a.1820474144630005/3991313737546024/?type=3&source=48

As I've mentioned before my suggestion to order multiple items at Ali Baba Express as it is so cheap and so good you can enjoy a variety of curries, so why not?

Well for me that means having leftover rice and rotis as their portions on those are so abundant. 

So sort of a funny story. 

My current main go to Indian restaurant has been Indian Rasoi. Available on multiple apps for delivery, most everything there is quite good and fairly priced particularly their tandoori items. Ali Baba Express btw doesn't do tandoori.

So anyway I ordered a tandoori based meal at Indian Rasoi without rice or bread as I had leftovers. Well they included a free naan anyway! Second time that has happened there.

Another rebuttal to those that think local restaurants are always trying to rip us off.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Krua Nha Bann

Very well known Thai restaurant

North Pattaya

Now on Hungry Now app listed as Krue Nha Bann

KRUA NHA BANN, Pattaya - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

I reckon many locals know this place and have probably been there. I know it too but I haven't ever eaten there (for a reason that I won't mention so don't even ask). 

Anyway, I noticed their menu on Hungry Now without realizing at first what restaurant it was. I was very impressed with the wide variety of menu items including lots of options that aren't on every Thai restaurant menu.

I'm sure I'm not the only expat that struggles sometimes to not to get bored with Thai food. For me a big reason for the boredom is how similar the menus usually are. Maybe it's not fair to say you've seen one green curry, you've seen them all, but I guess you know what I mean.

So I'm always attracted to Thai restaurants that go beyond the obvious choices.

So I did order food from there. Had two dishes.

Snapper over wide noodles in a Hong Kong style vegetable gravy (Thai Chinese style really) 

Ribs stir fried in Southern Thai yellow curry

Both dishes were about 150ish.

I would rate the quality and flavor as a solid B, but that's not a dig, a solid B is a good grade!

The portions were medium to somewhat on the small side.

The food good enough for me to want to try a number of dishes on their menu. For example they have what sounds like a hor mok talay which is one of my favorite Thai dishes and isn't on most menus (though it's not called that on their menu). 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon many locals know this place and have probably been there. I know it too but I haven't ever eaten there (for a reason that I won't mention so don't even ask).  

Eaten many times there.

Was great when it was the original owner, who seemingly was a Thai Celeb?

Sold it, to a Thai Woman a couple of years ago, who seemed more interested in promoting herself than the Restaurant, and the food just slowly went downhill.

IMHO

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The food good enough for me to want to try a number of dishes on their menu. For example they have what sounds like a hor mok talay which is one of my favorite Thai dishes and isn't on most menus (though it's not called that on their menu). 

Certainly used to be called Hor Mok Talay, and have ordered several times here.

[Be careful of Galvanic Shock]

Dish on the left is Laab Thawt.

KNB-003.jpg.de2ba2630802d1d693a618e5cec617ce.jpg

KNB-005.jpg.ab223e4863b55dde8b25c3557c4d08e0.jpg

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Certainly used to be called Hor Mok Talay, and have ordered several times here.

[Be careful of Galvanic Shock]

Dish on the left is Laab Thawt.

KNB-003.jpg.de2ba2630802d1d693a618e5cec617ce.jpg

KNB-005.jpg.ab223e4863b55dde8b25c3557c4d08e0.jpg

I meant on the Hungry Now menu. Its called something like Steamed coconut seafood curry there.

BTW about the fish dish I meant to say sea bass not snapper.

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Eaten many times there.

Was great when it was the original owner, who seemingly was a Thai Celeb?

Sold it, to a Thai Woman a couple of years ago, who seemed more interested in promoting herself than the Restaurant, and the food just slowly went downhill.

IMHO

Interesting. 

OK. Down from  great. So far I don't think it's great either as I rated the food a B. But do you still think its pretty good or not?

Edited by Jingthing

Have noticed a popular, but inexpensive place near the junction of Sukhumvit/Thepprasit (not the Tesco side).

The menu looked relatively simple. Steak, fries salad. That sort of thing. But the prices seemed good. Perhaps from 49 or 59 baht. I'll take pics the next time I'm there. Has anyone tried it?

• Haha 1

Looking for some feedback here.

I know I'm not the only one that's doing a lot of delivery food these days that ALSO likes discounts.

Do you think current discount information such as promotional codes for delivery apps should be posted here or perhaps there should be a separate thread only for that kind of specialized information. What do you think?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I know I'm not the only one that's doing a lot of delivery food these days that ALSO likes discounts.

Do you think current discount information such as promotional codes for delivery apps should be posted here or perhaps there should be a separate thread only for that kind of specialized information. What do you think?

Keep it here because people are also reviewing the food and some might wish to pay a visit to the premises to eat in based on the reviews. More places are probably going to be recieving sit-in customers from today.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You already know my thoughts, when it last came up almost a year ago.

• Like 1