The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Sichuan / Yunan / Northern Chinese Restaurant on Third Road (across from HIPPIE CAKES)

Restaurant Name Not Known (Chinese Writing)

Updated Info From Another Thread

This is NOT the same Chinese restaurant as Ting-Tai-<deleted>, also on 3rd road but not currently operating

This Chinese restaurant on 3rd road is not signed in English but you can find it as it is directly across from Hippie Cakes (love that name), has Chinese writing in the window, and has a Karoake shop on the 2nd floor.

Member susanschwaiger posted about this place some time ago (thank you!) and I finally paid a visit and have both my impressions and some NEWS to report about this quite interesting restaurant.

As said the food offered is all Chinese including specialties from Sechuan and Yunan provinces as well as some Northern Chinese offerings in the form of dumplings.

The CURRENT menu (the one offered to me anyway) is all a PICTURE menu with Chinese writing, no Thai writing, and no English writing. I sensed that some items were going to be not so appealing to westerners such as intestinal meat offerings. I found out later I was correct about that. Personally I dislike offal. Anyway, I was informed this current menu is actually "NEW" and was told a translation into English would be available in 10 days time. I wouldn't bet on it but you heard it here first.

At the current time, LANGUAGE is an issue with understanding the menu.

The Yunan beef with rice noodle soup for only 100 baht is still on the menu and I reckon is the most popular dish there. (Just a guess, it's cheap.)

That said, I really don't think the food has changed very much since the thread about the place but the news of the new menu is news of sorts. Myself I was mostly interested in the Sechuan offerings. As far as I could tell, these included:

Ma Po Tofu (looked pretty good but I suspect they might be using the cheap Thai yellow tofu which I find unacceptable in anything, but not sure)

Kung Pao Chicken (appeared to be a large portion) 200 baht

Sechuan Hot Pot, choice of pork, chicken, or Fish 200 - 250

Sechuan Spicy Shrimp

Big Guess from the picture: Cumin Fried Beef (meat not confirmed) and also Cumin Fried Pork Innards (meat confirmed)

Probably a few others.

Then there are the other dishes that are not Sechuan. A number of these dishes are not hot spicy so for those not into hot spicy, there are good options. Go look!

They had two choices of Northern dumplings. One steamed. One fried like potstickers with a base of crust. I tried the fried. Both 100 baht. They had meat and veg inside with a soy garlic dip. Not the best dumplings I've ever had, but certainly tasty and a LARGE portion, great value at 100 baht.

Of course I tried the Sechuan Spicy Hot Pot. I requested it extra spicy and also requested that they include Sechuan pepper corns (a must!) by saying MAH-LA which they did understand. I get the one with fish. The pork one I saw on the menu I suspected would be offal so I asked if they had other options and was told fish and chicken.

The fish was a WHOLE FISH and the bowl was HUGE. It wasn't quite as much food as the big bowl suggested as there wasn't that much meat on the fish but not really complaining.

As far as the Sechuan hot pot goes, it was better than the Sechuan Hot Pot at the now defunct Jomtien Welcome Plaza place but it was still not particularly wonderful. I would say if you crave a Sechuan hot pot it is probably the only place in town to get one. But if you are new to the dish, don't order it as trying this dish won't give you an idea on how wonderful this dish can/should be.

Good things about the dish:

It was very chili spicy as requested

The fish meat was delicious and the type of fish worked well in the pot

It had extra little veggies as expected

It did not have extra items like soft tofu and Chinese cabbage as expected

It did have a HUGE portion of sour bamboo shoots in it. I have never heard of sour bamboo shoots in a Sechuan hot pot. It made the hot pot remind me of a Southern Thai curry. Nothing wrong with a Southern Thai curry but I wanted a Sechuan hot pot.

The Sechuan peppercorns were the kind you can buy in Thailand, not the fresh vibrant kind you can buy in China or the USA (from China).

This is a big deal! A Sechuan hot pot should SIZZLE with Sechuan peppercorns. But these Thai sourced ones are very very dull, just a HINT of the qualities of real Sechuan peppercorns. The words FLAT and STALE come to mind. I know this because I have cooked Sechuan dishes at home using both the Thai ones bought here and Chinese ones I've brought from the US. There is no comparison.

Anyway, I don't understand the issue with getting real and fresh Sechuan peppercorns in Thailand, so close to China, but from a taste point of view for Sechuan, it's a real issue

I should add this. It is quite possible the dish I thought was Sechuan hot pot with fish was actually Yunnan hot pot with fish. The first lady I talked to said it was Yunnan but it looked Sechuan to me on the picture. An older man I later talked to said it was Sechuan. He may have just said that because that's what I wanted. Like I said before the large portion of sour bamboo shoots didn't seem right to me and I think Yunnan cooking uses that ingredient sometimes so that's a good clue. In any case, they are really similar dishes. I think the dish whatever you call it would have been actually great if they dropped the sour bamboo shoots, added tofu, cabbage and REAL fresh Chinese peppercorns but that's not going to happen, so it is what it is.

I would definitely return to this restaurant to try some other dishes. It has some weaknesses but also some strengths. I feel it's worth exploring the menu.

The original thread about this restaurant:

http://www.thaivisa....up#entry5331103

The location of this restaurant:

http://maps.google.c...&sz=17&t=m&z=17

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Sichuan / Yunan / Northern Chinese Restaurant on Third Road (across from HIPPIE CAKES)

Restaurant Name Not Known (Chinese Writing)

Updated Info From Another Thread

This is NOT the same Chinese restaurant as Ting-Tai-<deleted>, also on 3rd road but not currently operating

This Chinese restaurant on 3rd road is not signed in English but you can find it as it is directly across from Hippie Cakes (love that name), has Chinese writing in the window, and has a Karoake shop on the 2nd floor.

Member susanschwaiger posted about this place some time ago (thank you!) and I finally paid a visit and have both my impressions and some NEWS to report about this quite interesting restaurant.

As said the food offered is all Chinese including specialties from Sechuan and Yunan provinces as well as some Northern Chinese offerings in the form of dumplings.

The CURRENT menu (the one offered to me anyway) is all a PICTURE menu with Chinese writing, no Thai writing, and no English writing. I sensed that some items were going to be not so appealing to westerners such as intestinal meat offerings. I found out later I was correct about that. Personally I dislike offal. Anyway, I was informed this current menu is actually "NEW" and was told a translation into English would be available in 10 days time. I wouldn't bet on it but you heard it here first.

At the current time, LANGUAGE is an issue with understanding the menu.

The Yunan beef with rice noodle soup for only 100 baht is still on the menu and I reckon is the most popular dish there. (Just a guess, it's cheap.)

That said, I really don't think the food has changed very much since the thread about the place but the news of the new menu is news of sorts. Myself I was mostly interested in the Sechuan offerings. As far as I could tell, these included:

Ma Po Tofu (looked pretty good but I suspect they might be using the cheap Thai yellow tofu which I find unacceptable in anything, but not sure)

Kung Pao Chicken (appeared to be a large portion) 200 baht

Sechuan Hot Pot, choice of pork, chicken, or Fish 200 - 250

Sechuan Spicy Shrimp

Big Guess from the picture: Cumin Fried Beef (meat not confirmed) and also Cumin Fried Pork Innards (meat confirmed)

Probably a few others.

Then there are the other dishes that are not Sechuan. A number of these dishes are not hot spicy so for those not into hot spicy, there are good options. Go look!

They had two choices of Northern dumplings. One steamed. One fried like potstickers with a base of crust. I tried the fried. Both 100 baht. They had meat and veg inside with a soy garlic dip. Not the best dumplings I've ever had, but certainly tasty and a LARGE portion, great value at 100 baht.

Of course I tried the Sechuan Spicy Hot Pot. I requested it extra spicy and also requested that they include Sechuan pepper corns (a must!) by saying MAH-LA which they did understand. I get the one with fish. The pork one I saw on the menu I suspected would be offal so I asked if they had other options and was told fish and chicken.

The fish was a WHOLE FISH and the bowl was HUGE. It wasn't quite as much food as the big bowl suggested as there wasn't that much meat on the fish but not really complaining.

As far as the Sechuan hot pot goes, it was better than the Sechuan Hot Pot at the now defunct Jomtien Welcome Plaza place but it was still not particularly wonderful. I would say if you crave a Sechuan hot pot it is probably the only place in town to get one. But if you are new to the dish, don't order it as trying this dish won't give you an idea on how wonderful this dish can/should be.

Good things about the dish:

It was very chili spicy as requested

The fish meat was delicious and the type of fish worked well in the pot

It had extra little veggies as expected

It did not have extra items like soft tofu and Chinese cabbage as expected

It did have a HUGE portion of sour bamboo shoots in it. I have never heard of sour bamboo shoots in a Sechuan hot pot. It made the hot pot remind me of a Southern Thai curry. Nothing wrong with a Southern Thai curry but I wanted a Sechuan hot pot.

The Sechuan peppercorns were the kind you can buy in Thailand, not the fresh vibrant kind you can buy in China or the USA (from China).

This is a big deal! A Sechuan hot pot should SIZZLE with Sechuan peppercorns. But these Thai sourced ones are very very dull, just a HINT of the qualities of real Sechuan peppercorns. The words FLAT and STALE come to mind. I know this because I have cooked Sechuan dishes at home using both the Thai ones bought here and Chinese ones I've brought from the US. There is no comparison.

Anyway, I don't understand the issue with getting real and fresh Sechuan peppercorns in Thailand, so close to China, but from a taste point of view for Sechuan, it's a real issue

I should add this. It is quite possible the dish I thought was Sechuan hot pot with fish was actually Yunnan hot pot with fish. The first lady I talked to said it was Yunnan but it looked Sechuan to me on the picture. An older man I later talked to said it was Sechuan. He may have just said that because that's what I wanted. Like I said before the large portion of sour bamboo shoots didn't seem right to me and I think Yunnan cooking uses that ingredient sometimes so that's a good clue. In any case, they are really similar dishes. I think the dish whatever you call it would have been actually great if they dropped the sour bamboo shoots, added tofu, cabbage and REAL fresh Chinese peppercorns but that's not going to happen, so it is what it is.

I would definitely return to this restaurant to try some other dishes. It has some weaknesses but also some strengths. I feel it's worth exploring the menu.

The original thread about this restaurant:

http://www.thaivisa....up#entry5331103

The location of this restaurant:

http://maps.google.c...&sz=17&t=m&z=17

Now we have 2 pattaya restaurants maps going?

Now we have 2 pattaya restaurants maps going?

No. I just pasted that map from the original thread on the Sechuan / Yunan / Northern Chinese restaurant.

BTW, as I won't get to this place very often, if someone happens to go and notices that the picture menu has advanced to having English descriptions, please post with that news.

Edited by Jingthing

Side note: I am a little disheartened that there isn't greater participation in this thread from MORE people posting little restaurant food items to share.

Surely there are more than a few people in town who are BITE curious? sorry.gif

So cheesy. Yes I know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As announced (or threatened if you please) this thread is open to a VARIETY of restaurant information snippets. In that spirit:

New Location of an Old Established Pattaya Restaurant

A La Turca

Turkish Cuisine

Previously in various locations

Now at Pattaya Central Festival, 5th Floor, 2nd road side

The most recent and probably best reincarnation of this Pattaya standby.

Full menu of Turkish delicacies, presented in a modern clear menu, moderate prices.

I have eaten at older locations. The menu has evolved to include more popular standards. If you like Turkish food, probably worth a visit.

Good to hear this...I lost track of them after they closed their outlet on Soi Yumi behind Big C Extra. One of my fav middle eastern restos in town.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE here on this restaurant:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/page-4#entry5999324

Are you excited?
Anyway I won't repeat what I posted before (see link) but I will add the new info.

The Legend of Chicken Cuisine (update only)

Visited this restaurant for the first time and now I know more about their concept. Their specialty indeed is TAIWAN style hot pot feasts. This is a very specialized kind of Chinese food and a good portion of their food is ORGAN MEATS (also pork bone marrow) that may be challenging, not appealing to typical western tastes.

HOWEVER, there is an offering that I think most Westerners who like Chinese food would enjoy and not find challenging.
They offer a wonderful SMALL set at a wonderful small price, which I think might be the best deal in town for gourmet Chinese food. It is a light meal, probably better for lunch than dinner.

Here's the deal:
120 baht includes high quality bowl of rice, two small side salad dishes (bean sprouts, cucumber), a large pot of hot tea and the feature, the two dishes:

Clams in broth, delicious clams in a delicious delicate clam broth. Subtle.

Huadiao Chicken. This might be the most famous dish of the Taiwan hot pot style tradition, except for the pork marrow bones.
It was a WONDERFUL dish. Chicken pieces on the bone in a fantastic reduced WINE sauce with some small vegetables for flavor. It actually reminded me of French food! A great dish.

What were the chicken parts? I couldn't identity it because they were chopped into quite small pieces. Maybe it is some kind of non-appealing organ origin, but it tasted like normal chicken meat to me, and I liked it, so if someone comes back and says I ate a plate of chicken anuses, I can live with that.

Again, at 120 baht you can't afford NOT to try this set! (Hyperbole, oh no.) It is the ONLY low cost, light meal set they've got. I would NOT go there for Thai food; it seems overpriced. Either the Taiwan stuff or forget it.

The staff told me something that is not clear on the menu! ONE person CAN order a multi-course FEAST for only 390 baht. You can also in groups of three to ten or more choose from different feast options at a similar price range per person. Frankly, I am not that into this, I don't like marrow and I am not big on offal cuisine, and the menu fails to translate a good bit of the features of the feast, but you can tell quite a bit might be challenging to many westerners. If you're more open minded, I reckon based on the set, the food would be great!

Their business is clearly targeted to CHINESE tour groups but you are welcome too and at least one staff member can speak English.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

It was reported recently at one of the Expat club meetings that Goose's closing may be temporary and their website is still up, so who knows?

http://goosesfishandchips.com/

Sure, that's possible. It is for sale. But keep in mind the original owner was dedicated to an authentic concept so I wouldn't necessarily expect the same food with a new owner.

Goose's Fish and Chips. 2nd Road between soi's 7 & 8

Goose's is OUT OF BUSINESS. As previously reported on this very thread.

Sorry didn't see the posting of Gosses Closed. Must be fairly recent event within last month.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is more informational for those who have been curious about a new-ish tourist oriented Thai restaurant on 2nd Road. I stopped in and can offer my impression of my meal. (In short: middling.)

Yiam Restaurant

Thai and Western food aimed at tourists
2nd Road, east side, just north of Pattaya New Plaza, north of Central Mall, south of Pattaya Klang

An extensive and mildly impressive range of Thai food choices at lower end prices. Higher prices than Kiss but only slightly and certainly lower than standard Thai restaurants for tourists in such high visibility locations.

What attracted me was the Hor Mok Talay at 100 baht as that's one of my favorite dishes, and most places don't have it and those that do it's usually more expensive.

So I ordered the Hor Mok Talay and Larb Gai.

The Hor Mok Talay was served in foil not a coconut (but that was clear from the menu). It was a small portion, OK tasting seafood, and OK tasting curry flavor. It was not really a STANDARD or what I would call a "real" version of this dish. It was more of a lazy version. It wasn't a mousse at all. Instead there some chunks of egg cooked into the dish. First time EVER that I have seen that kind of treatment of that dish. I wouldn't order again based on that, but really not bad for 100 baht if you don't mind the lazy execution.

The Larb Gai was a very healthy sized portion and had all the expected side salad items. I order it phet phet and it did come with SOME dried chili but it really was Russian phet phet, not Thai phet phet. So I asked them to bring me some prik ki nu but they didn't have any so they brought some chopped up regular Thai chilies instead. So that was OK. The larb itself was strange to my tastes, almost a weird kind of creamy sensation to the dish. I would not order larb there again. But it wasn't horrible. About 80 baht.

Looking at the other tables that had Thai food, the dishes looked pretty OK, and my limited information opinion is that overall the food is a bit better than Kiss (which I consider fairly close competition to this place) but not by much.

You could do a lot worse for the money for a tourist oriented Thai restaurant in that kind of location.

No comment on their western food (I'm not interested). I'm sure generic tourist oriented.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

The Hor Mok Talay was served in foil not a coconut (but that was clear from the menu). It was a small portion, OK tasting seafood, and OK tasting curry flavor. It was not really a STANDARD or what I would call a "real" version of this dish. It was more of a lazy version. It wasn't a mousse at all. Instead there some chunks of egg cooked into the dish. First time EVER that I have seen that kind of treatment of that dish. I wouldn't order again based on that, but really not bad for 100 baht if you don't mind the lazy execution.

I ate here once when it first opened late last year, and was as underwhelmed as your review.

Is Hor Mok not traditionally served in a banana leaf basket ?

Having said that, Leng Kee serves theirs in a coconut.

And it came more like scrambled egg than a mousse, but there was plenty of seafood in it, and tasty enough.

You tried Leng Kee's Hor Mok Jing ?

Edited by ChangFai
  • Thanks 1

Street Hor Muk is a small snack in a banana leaf and generally has fish. Restaurant Hor Muk Talay is usually mostly a variety of shellfish often including some crab with one element being some fish, served in either a coconut or foil, not a banana leaf. Some places offer the coconut as an "upgrade" option for an additional charge. No I hadn't realized Leng Kee had some kind of Hor Muk but not really interested in an omelette version. In my experience the street version and the "Talay" restaurant versions have a different flavor profile but both are mousse-like or you might call it like a savory custard. Street Hor Muk reminds me very much of the classic Cambodian food -- Amok (similar but not the same). Amok is definitely served in a banana leaf as far as I know not served anywhere in a Pattaya restaurant or street.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a post where I rather pitifully encourage OTHERS to post their restaurant snippets in the spirit of this eclectic Pattaya area restaurant thread!

Yes, I see it has turned into a kind of blog written by moi. That was NOT my intention but without your participation, it is what it is.

Here is a post where I rather pitifully encourage OTHERS to post their restaurant snippets in the spirit of this eclectic Pattaya area restaurant thread!

Yes, I see it has turned into a kind of blog written by moi. That was NOT my intention but without your participation, it is what it is.

I for one appreciate what you are doing on this thread. Whether others post reviews or not, I hope that you will continue.

• Like 2

Didnt want to travel far the other night, and as my favourite local Thai restaurant was closed, it was decided we should try the new branch of Daeng Dam.

Never often on that Soi that runs behind the Avenue nowadays, and only spotted the restaurant because a baht bus driver on Friday night decided he didn't want to go further up 2nd road ..... brilliant Walking Street to Soi LK Metro for 10 baht smile.png

For anyone who doesnt know Daeng Dam, the original is on Pattaya Glang and is long standing daytime place that always seems busy.

The new branch is described as a food center and is on the GF at the very back of the Avenue.

post-94120-0-11389600-1365559892_thumb.j

post-94120-0-32944700-1365559912_thumb.j

At first glance I was disappointed at the menu as it seemed to be all one dish type things with a couple of pages worth of noodle soups.

We wanted a couple of dishes for the centre of table.

So we ordered, Tom Yam Goong, Tawt Man Plaa, and Plaa Muek Pat Pong Gari.

First up was the Tawt Man Plaa (Thai Fish Cakes)

They were very nice, not chewy like so many places, and that they were served with some tempura and fried basil leaves was nice touch.

post-94120-0-61540500-1365559959_thumb.j

Plaa Muek Pat Pong Gari (Squid stir fried with curry powder)
Squid was very nicely cooked, not rubbery but the inclusion of tomatoes made the whole dish watery.
Tomatoes have no place in this sort of dish IMO
post-94120-0-83212100-1365560010_thumb.j
And the Tom Yam.

Alarm bells should have rung when the waitress said they only had River Prawns left.

The prawns themselves were fine large fresh River Prawns and there was TWO of them.

The soup had clearly been made with Knorr, and was disappointing.

That this dish was 200 baht was disappointing and I know many places that can do it a lot better at half the price.
post-94120-0-26586900-1365560056_thumb.j
With two small Leos, the bill of 500 baht seemed expensive for what we had, but a lot of that was down to the 200 baht Tom Yam.
post-94120-0-24368100-1365560088_thumb.j
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CLOSED in Jomtien

Dine From 99

Good rididance.

Oxford Street Sports Bar (across from Jomtiem Market) CLOSED

Possible new Italian place may be in the offering in its place ,"Da Vinci",,,, Yellow alert Jingthing!

Battle Stations!

Aussie Bar. in Rumpo Complex(next to Jomtien Market) Not closed but the food menu is long gone as well as the spirit of the place with the new owner.

Where to get a decent meat pie in Jomtien now?

• Like 1

CLOSED in Jomtien

Dine From 99

Good rididance.

Oxford Street Sports Bar (across from Jomtiem Market) CLOSED

Possible new Italian place may be in the offering in its place ,"Da Vinci",,,, Yellow alert Jingthing!

Battle Stations!

Aussie Bar. in Rumpo Complex(next to Jomtien Market) Not closed but the food menu is long gone as well as the spirit of the place with the new owner.

Where to get a decent meat pie in Jomtien now?

how's the pig and whistle, jomtien doing ?? Edited by properperson

I have to admit long ago I had the large prawn tom yum noodles at Dang Dum and I was not very impressed with the broth but did like the prawns. However, I still think overall Dang Dum at the Avenue is a very welcome addition to the limited casual Thai options in the central touristic area.

I have to admit long ago I had the large prawn tom yum noodles at Dang Dum and I was not very impressed with the broth but did like the prawns. However, I still think overall Dang Dum at the Avenue is a very welcome addition to the limited casual Thai options in the central touristic area.

Will have to try it since I live 250 m. away.Walked past it a few times since they opened,but never seen much customers there

Will have to try it since I live 250 m. away.Walked past it a few times since they opened,but never seen much customers there

They do seem to be having a problem attracting many customers. Perhaps being stuck in the back there isn't so advantageous. I wish them good luck.

End of 3rd Road almost to North Pattaya Road , same side as motorcycle shop on the reverse corner , a new Shanghai Chinese restaurant has opened up (all white brightly lit interior with red lettering).

They do classic soup type steamed dumplings and stewed ribs , prolly the best most of you gweilo's will ever come near.

• Like 1