The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

End of 3rd Road almost to North Pattaya Road , same side as motorcycle shop on the reverse corner , a new Shanghai Chinese restaurant has opened up (all white brightly lit interior with red lettering).

They do classic soup type steamed dumplings and stewed ribs , prolly the best most of you gweilo's will ever come near.

I agree -- A MAJOR addition to the overall very weak Chinese restaurant scene in these parts. So much so that there is a dedicated thread about it. The original name was Ting Tau <deleted> but the current name is Shanghai Restaurant.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609362-new-chinese-restaurant-in-pattaya-ting-tai-<deleted>-off-3rd-road-north/

• Thanks 1

I have to admit long ago I had the large prawn tom yum noodles at Dang Dum and I was not very impressed with the broth but did like the prawns. However, I still think overall Dang Dum at the Avenue is a very welcome addition to the limited casual Thai options in the central touristic area.

I agree its a welcome addition (although there has been the Glang branch for decades).

But it has to be one of the worst value for money Tom Yams in town.

200 baht for 2 prawns and a stock made from Knorr !

CLOSED in Jomtien

Dine From 99

Good rididance.

Oxford Street Sports Bar (across from Jomtiem Market) CLOSED

Possible new Italian place may be in the offering in its place ,"Da Vinci",,,, Yellow alert Jingthing!

Battle Stations!

Aussie Bar. in Rumpo Complex(next to Jomtien Market) Not closed but the food menu is long gone as well as the spirit of the place with the new owner.

Where to get a decent meat pie in Jomtien now?

how's the pig and whistle, jomtien doing ??

They seem to be doing OK though I woudn;t say great. It may be the only sports bar left in Jomtien and their price of about

225 B for an acceptable daily western food special seems to be in the right ball park. They are also spacious and air-conditioned and I often see crowds in there when it gets really hot. You can even read the British tabloids as you sip on some ale !

Bistro Oscar, jomtien complex. Had the set special. Very pleasant caulliflower soup with crispy bacon. John Dory with vegetables perhaps needed a stronger sauce, and a rich chocolate ice cream ... delicious. All washed down with a couple of glasses of the house shiraz which was good. Good service, pleasant surroundings. Total bill tb700. Recommended.

• Thanks 1

another recommendation on the dark side: Fabrice. That's the guy who owned before Dao Cafe and Aqua Demie.

Same great food as he had in the other places that he built up and sold: pizza and steaks. Every dish is a recommendation, the burgers are Texas size.

Tried Saigon Cafe on 6th floor of Central Festival tonight.

Not being an expert on Vietnamese food I cannot comment on authenticity, but the food tasted good. I had a mixed starter, and beef salad, Jr had one of the "house specials" crab salad. The beef salad arrived before the starter, this is Thailand, the beef was tender and flavoursome. The other dishes duly arrived and were tasty. With a glass of wine and a sprite it came to 780B (inc 7% service fee). Probably more than some would expect to pay, but a good meal.

• Thanks 1

another recommendation on the dark side: Fabrice. That's the guy who owned before Dao Cafe and Aqua Demie.

Same great food as he had in the other places that he built up and sold: pizza and steaks. Every dish is a recommendation, the burgers are Texas size.

And, to get there: Drive up Soi Nernpleubwan from Sukumvit Road, turn left (or turn right if you are coming from the big Wat)toward Aqua Demiye; the soi splits, drive down the left side of the "y" split and turn left again at the next crossing. About 100 meters further down on the left you will see the building with Fabrice, which has the bar entrance to the left and the restaurant entrance to the right. You're there!

• Like 1

Please share more info on the location. I would love to give them a try,

Thanks

And, to get there: Drive up Soi Nernpleubwan from Sukumvit Road, turn left (or turn right if you are coming from the big Wat)toward Aqua Demiye; the soi splits, drive down the left side of the "y" split and turn left again at the next crossing. About 100 meters further down on the left you will see the building with Fabrice, which has the bar entrance to the left and the restaurant entrance to the right. You're there!

You use a reference to Aqua Demiye in your directions but I have no idea what that is.

How about putting this spot on the restaurant map?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216772654245189722830.0004d276d391000cbece5&msa=0

Edited by Jayman

You use a reference to Aqua Demiye in your directions but I have no idea what that is.

Thanks

See Raro's post #181. There's a 7/11 on the corner of Nernpleubwan ("NPW") and the soi that Aqua Demiye is on -- does that help? whistling.gif There used to be a bar on the corner called Corner Bar, but I think that is now gone. I would estimate that it is 1.5 to 2 km from the Wat at the end of NPW. The address on the internet is Soi NPW, Soi Mapyialia 47. If I am out later today, I'll check for a soi number on the sign post at the corner of NPW.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

Will have to try...I loved the "old" Dao and the current Aqua but haven't been to Fabrice yet...is a side order or dessert course of strumpet still on the menu?

Also, any opinions on the food at that New Holland Resort place?

Thanks

See Raro's post #181. There's a 7/11 on the corner of Nernpleubwan ("NPW") and the soi that Aqua Demiye is on -- does that help? whistling.gif There used to be a bar on the corner called Corner Bar, but I think that is now gone. I would estimate that it is 1.5 to 2 km from the Wat at the end of NPW. The address on the internet is Soi NPW, Soi Mapyialia 47. If I am out later today, I'll check for a soi number on the sign post at the corner of NPW.

Yes.. I know that intersection with the 7/11 on the left (coming from suk). Thanks for the clarification. I will venture out and try and find it.

Will have to try...I loved the "old" Dao and the current Aqua but haven't been to Fabrice yet...is a side order or dessert course of strumpet still on the menu?

Also, any opinions on the food at that New Holland Resort place?

Yes, I think I remember strumpet.

You mean the tulip resort? Last I heard is that the menu is again undergoing a major overhaul, hope they keep the Dutch junk food as I need my frikandel fix once in a while...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks

See Raro's post #181. There's a 7/11 on the corner of Nernpleubwan ("NPW") and the soi that Aqua Demiye is on -- does that help? There used to be a bar on the corner called Corner Bar, but I think that is now gone. I would estimate that it is 1.5 to 2 km from the Wat at the end of NPW. The address on the internet is Soi NPW, Soi Mapyialia 47. If I am out later today, I'll check for a soi number on the sign post at the corner of NPW.

Yes.. I know that intersection with the 7/11 on the left (coming from suk). Thanks for the clarification. I will venture out and try and find it.

Here it is.

http://m.google.com/u/m/wAsBfY

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Great thread Jingthing, just read all of it. In May ill definitley be visiting ...

Israeli restaurant THE PLACE, Soi Buakhao.

THE SWISS RESTAURANT, Soi Diamond.

Italian place off Buakhao LA TAVERNA DEL PASSATORE.

JUN JUN SING. Korean place, North Pattaya

&

A LA TURCA Turkish restaurant at Central Festival.

One question. What do you recommend i try at A LA TURCA?

Great thread Jingthing, just read all of it. In May ill definitley be visiting ... Israeli restaurant THE PLACE, Soi Buakhao. THE SWISS RESTAURANT, Soi Diamond. Italian place off Buakhao LA TAVERNA DEL PASSATORE. JUN JUN SING. Korean place, North Pattaya & A LA TURCA Turkish restaurant at Central Festival. One question. What do you recommend i try at A LA TURCA?

I have eaten at all those places except the new location of A La Turca. I used to eat at the original A La Turca, years back, and found it OK. It didn't match what I expected from visiting Turkey. A lot of people like their food and I just posted that item to give attention to their new location at the mall. Now they are advertising heavily and it would be hard to miss them.

A great place to have a baked potato is the Turkish restaurant named Master Kumpir in the basement of Central. All kinds of good stuff to chose from for topping, and one baked potato usually leaves me feeling full unless I'm extremely hungry.

Prices between 150-200 Baht.

My only complaints are that the soft drinks are not cold (easily remedied, I buy from Burger King next door) and that the staff has been very "unenthusiastic" at times (lethargic would probably be a better word).

A great place to have a baked potato is the Turkish restaurant named Master Kumpir in the basement of Central. All kinds of good stuff to chose from for topping, and one baked potato usually leaves me feeling full unless I'm extremely hungry.

Prices between 150-200 Baht.

My only complaints are that the soft drinks are not cold (easily remedied, I buy from Burger King next door) and that the staff has been very "unenthusiastic" at times (lethargic would probably be a better word).

Their Turkish scrambled egg dish and the lentil soup is also very good. Agree about the service...I guess pretty boring place to work, I mean, is it anyone's dream job to be dressing baked potatoes all day long.

Great thread Jingthing, just read all of it. In May ill definitley be visiting ... Israeli restaurant THE PLACE, Soi Buakhao. THE SWISS RESTAURANT, Soi Diamond. Italian place off Buakhao LA TAVERNA DEL PASSATORE. JUN JUN SING. Korean place, North Pattaya & A LA TURCA Turkish restaurant at Central Festival. One question. What do you recommend i try at A LA TURCA?

I have eaten at all those places except the new location of A La Turca. I used to eat at the original A La Turca, years back, and found it OK. It didn't match what I expected from visiting Turkey. A lot of people like their food and I just posted that item to give attention to their new location at the mall. Now they are advertising heavily and it would be hard to miss them.

I'm not as much a "foodie" as others and always found al la turka to be very good and tasty food. Their moussaka is the bomb! As for the place, walked by it and as its one of those el cheapo open air shophouse affairs, with Thai, German, and Israeli food, I gave it a pass. The Italian place off Bua Khow I highly recommend, however.

• Thanks 1

I'm not as much a "foodie" as others and always found al la turka to be very good and tasty food. Their moussaka is the bomb! As for the place, walked by it and as its one of those el cheapo open air shophouse affairs, with Thai, German, and Israeli food, I gave it a pass. The Italian place off Bua Khow I highly recommend, however.

The Place does indeed have Thai food mostly for the Thai companions like so many places. It is an ISRAELI restaurant featuring Israeli food mostly for Israeli people. As far as German food, I think there is some confusion. Israeli food isn't only Middle eastern origin food. For example, Chicken schnitzel is one of the most popular dishes in Israel and it is considered as Israeli as hummus.

The Italian place you like is ALSO an open air place. Who cares, open air or not open air, if the food is good?

Moussaka at a la Turka? Is it even on the menu at their new place? I tried it at their original location and was underwhelmed. I'll look at their menu again as it would be silly to think their food is the same after many years and different locations. I think its called Musakka in Turkey. Overall, I felt the prices at the new mall place were pushing it on prices. Understandable considering the rent they must be paying in that mall.

Edited by Jingthing

The Place does indeed have Thai food mostly for the Thai companions like so many places. It is an ISRAELI restaurant featuring Israeli food mostly for Israeli people. As far as German food, I think there is some confusion. Israeli food isn't only Middle eastern origin food. For example, Chicken schnitzel is one of the most popular dishes in Israel and it is considered as Israeli as hummus.

The Italian place you like is ALSO an open air place. Who cares, open air or not open air, if the food is good?

Moussaka at a la Turka? Is it even on the menu at their new place? I tried it at their original location and was underwhelmed. I'll look at their menu again as it would be silly to think their food is the same after many years and different locations. I think its called Musakka in Turkey. Overall, I felt the prices at the new mall place were pushing it on prices. Understandable considering the rent they must be paying in that mall.

The smells emanating from the Italian place as I was outside perusing the menu overwhelmed my hesitation over that lack of an enclosed air con space. There were no such emanations from The Place. I had no idea schnitzels are an israeli speciality...do you think I could get a nice pork one?

The smells emanating from the Italian place as I was outside perusing the menu overwhelmed my hesitation over that lack of an enclosed air con space. There were no such emanations from The Place. I had no idea schnitzels are an israeli speciality...do you think I could get a nice pork one?

No a pork schnitzel would not be a super typical Israeli food and there are no pork dishes at The Place. That's so hilarious. Pork in Israel. Yes, pork is sold in Israel. Honestly I am not even sure they have chicken schnitzel on the menu at The Place but they have other European origin dishes such as homemade soups (quite nice) and meat and potatoes type platters. The weirdest thing about The Place to me is no falafel. DECENT falafel is so hard to get in town, I would really welcome it on their menu.

If you want a pork schnitzel, there must be over 100 non-Israeli places in town to get that. As far as gourmet level, yes the Italian place would be rated higher, no doubt. The Place is remarkable for offering some seriously authentic Israeli dishes such as Jerusalem style hummus (with organ meats on top) and Shakshouka (Israeli huevos rancheros).

Again, pork is sold in Israel and more popular than most would think, especially among Russian Jewish immigrants:

Exile to the north satisfied the religious, but the demand for pork did

not decline. Instead, over the years, it has increased - especially

among immigrants from the former Soviet Union. Mizra and Tiv Ta'am

stores, which sell it, can be found nearly everywhere around the

country, which prompts formulation of a new historical thesis: In

Israel, gastronomy is more influential than politics.

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/week-s-end/the-makings-of-history-pork-and-the-people-1.409478

Edited by Jingthing