The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

15 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Meanwhile, Dan's Cantina changed the sign hanging on the door from a merely "Closed" to one with hours. Perhaps opening soon. He's expecting huge crowds for some very odd reason. People going to sit in there and drink looking at themselves? Enough seating for a big club. I'll be interesting, hopefully good and reasonable. 

Dan's Cantina or Dave's Cantina ?

On 1/23/2017 at 2:10 PM, Roger Lee said:

Kiss Food & Drink restaurant on 2nd Rd in Jomtien has a pretty good plate of barbecued ribs all for 170 baht. Though a little small they were definitely fall off the bone good with plenty of sauce, I didn't even touch the extra sauce.0c84a925d53f04d5d96771b4e4ab14e4.jpge6915c2791b11759b352db59f3327a54.jpg

Next time I'll have to try the strip loin for 270 baht. Not sure if this special is offered at their other locations or not.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I went here tonight after reading your post. Had the ribs and enjoyed it, so thanks for the info.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 2:36 AM, Jingthing said:

Special ASEAN food court stall, Rompho Market, Jomtien

Variety of Asean foods, good flavor, low cost

Rompho Market is at Jomtien 2nd road and Soi 5.

Worth highlighting because they offer foods not usually found at food courts and they do a good job of it as well!

The workers are also super friendly and helpful. Almost a shock to find that here.

What's on the menu? Quite a surprising variety.

For example,

Singapore Fried Noodles

Nasi Goreng plate (Indonesian)

Sate

Tom yum noodles

Kao Soi (Burmese influenced Northern thai curry noodle soup)

A quite fancy Gaeng Som (tamarind spicy broth) with large chunks of crispy fish

Whole fish w/ five flavors

and much more!

Everything I've had there has been either good or very good. 

You can find it this way. Go to KISS restaurant and then walk on that side towards the market area. It's the stall 2nd from the market area on that side with ASEAN flags. An English sign weirdly says KISS but this is nothing to do with KISS restaurant. 

Thanks for the tip.  I just had Singapore Noodles and it was very good--nice change from Thai food.  I also saw Singapore Chop Suey (sp.) on the menu.  It is well worth trying.  They also have a broad range of Thai dishes.

• Like 1

I tried their Singapore noodles and didn't like them. Not sure how consistent they are but what I got was a plate of very thin noodles, greasy/semi-crispy, some chopped meat and veg. (no beansprouts), too greasy. WAY TOO SWEET, served with pork sticks and peanut sauce. I know there are different kinds of Singapore noodles literally but this dish wasn't like any version I've had. It was more like a morph of Indonesian bami goreng and Thai sweet mee krob but not nearly crispy enough to be mee krob. OK, I get that many would like it if you like very sweet noodles. 

Also had the chicken yellow curry and rice. The rice was brown rice without asking but I was happy to see it. The curry was kind of funky in a good way, large chunks of potato, cauliflower, and undercooked carrot. The chicken tasted like the processed kind though so common in most cheap Thai food restaurants these days. 

On another table appeared what looked like a great dish. A large platter of all mixed vegetables in large chunks down in a sauce, but it looked remarkably appealing. It's not on the menu so not sure what you'll get if you ask for something like that.

Not down on the place at all. Just won't order the Singapore noodles there again. No biggie.

The place is CLOSED on Sundays which I found out the hard way, so now you know.

It's not always in the exact location I previously described. It depends on what other stalls are open.

They have only four tables and if it's busy (as it has been in high season all over that market) it might be hard to get a seat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I tried their Singapore noodles and didn't like them. Not sure how consistent they are but what I got was a plate of very thin noodles, greasy/semi-crispy, some chopped meat and veg. (no beansprouts), too greasy. WAY TOO SWEET, served with pork sticks and peanut sauce. I know there are different kinds of Singapore noodles literally but this dish wasn't like any version I've had. It was more like a morph of Indonesian bami goreng and Thai sweet mee krob but not nearly crispy enough to be mee krob. OK, I get that many would like it if you like very sweet noodles. 

Also had the chicken yellow curry and rice. The rice was brown rice without asking but I was happy to see it. The curry was kind of funky in a good way, large chunks of potato, cauliflower, and undercooked carrot. The chicken tasted like the processed kind though so common in most cheap Thai food restaurants these days. 

On another table appeared what looked like a great dish. A large platter of all mixed vegetables in large chunks down in a sauce, but it looked remarkably appealing. It's not on the menu so not sure what you'll get if you ask for something like that.

Not down on the place at all. Just won't order the Singapore noodles there again. No biggie.

The place is CLOSED on Sundays which I found out the hard way, so now you know.

It's not always in the exact location I previously described. It depends on what other stalls are open.

They have only four tables and if it's busy (as it has been in high season all over that market) it might be hard to get a seat.

Thanks for the details...but you might consider just saying you were wrong, and the foods sucks, as does the menu. So many just want to get full, not pay too much, and most important of all, not get sick. God Bless You. 

Dave's Cantina....I did finally try it. Nice clean place with AC. The food was good but expensive. 300 Baht and you get two Enchiladas(beef) or one Burrito(beef) with a small portion of Spanish flavored rice and refried type of beans.(think mashed beans and flavored rice) The beef was more or less like Mikes, a shredded type with decent flavor. He has three sauces at each table, all delightful(thought I'd slip in a gay friendly word). All of the food was good but just again, over priced not only for this market, but for the portion you get. There were some extras on offer such as sour creme and jalapeno peppers at reasonable prices. No nachos but I do recall chips and salsa being on the menu at over 100 Baht. No fried ice creme or other Mexican/Spanish desserts. They just opened as most know. Will I go back, sure, but I can afford it and don't mind paying. I do hesitate when I think I'm getting ripped off, but I'd call these prices just high, not a complete rip off. I don't care about his start up costs or overhead...before some of you chime in that "you don't understand..." BS. I understand perfectly well, I just don't care about your business decisions and mistakes. I as just posted, only want to enjoy the food, have enough of it, and not get sick later. God Bless You and OO...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Dave's Cantina....I did finally try it. Nice clean place with AC. The food was good but expensive. 300 Baht and you get two Enchiladas(beef) or one Burrito(beef) with a small portion of Spanish flavored rice and refried type of beans.(think mashed beans and flavored rice) The beef was more or less like Mikes, a shredded type with decent flavor. He has three sauces at each table, all delightful(thought I'd slip in a gay friendly word). All of the food was good but just again, over priced not only for this market, but for the portion you get. There were some extras on offer such as sour creme and jalapeno peppers at reasonable prices. No nachos but I do recall chips and salsa being on the menu at over 100 Baht. No fried ice creme or other Mexican/Spanish desserts. They just opened as most know. Will I go back, sure, but I can afford it and don't mind paying. I do hesitate when I think I'm getting ripped off, but I'd call these prices just high, not a complete rip off. I don't care about his start up costs or overhead...before some of you chime in that "you don't understand..." BS. I understand perfectly well, I just don't care about your business decisions and mistakes. I as just posted, only want to enjoy the food, have enough of it, and not get sick later. God Bless You and OO...

Do they have a ground beef option?

4 hours ago, pegman said:

Do they have a ground beef option?

RE: Dave's Cantina...I don't think so. It wasn't offered on the menu. Pork or Chicken were 10-20 Baht less than beef(300 minus 10/20 Baht). Upon reflection and riding up and down the Soi, I've come to the conclusion it's doomed at the price level the menu is, combined with the general economy of the area. It's a low bottom Ex Pat(3000-6000Baht a month roooms) and Thai area. Cheap apartments and lots of Thai housing. Most of the foot traffic is coming and going to the market at the top end. The brain power required to open an even slightly higher end restaurant in said area must be astounding. No tourists except an occasional lost Chinese group or Middle Easterners from the group hotel at the 3rd road intersection. 

The much bally hooed Pastrami on Rye closed last night, for good. Rumor they are going back to some neighborhood and/or the "owner" went to Hooters, who knows...and again, who cares? A two bite sandwich costing me 300 Baht convinced me not to go back despite the good location and AC and basically clean presentation. We sometimes forget where we live. Most people are on limited "budgets" and will try something once but won't make a habit of 300-500Baht meals when you can simply go to one of dozens of outdoor markets and create a fine meal for 40 Baht, saving money for warm beers daily. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

RE: Dave's Cantina...I don't think so. It wasn't offered on the menu. Pork or Chicken were 10-20 Baht less than beef(300 minus 10/20 Baht). Upon reflection and riding up and down the Soi, I've come to the conclusion it's doomed at the price level the menu is, combined with the general economy of the area. It's a low bottom Ex Pat(3000-6000Baht a month roooms) and Thai area. Cheap apartments and lots of Thai housing. Most of the foot traffic is coming and going to the market at the top end. The brain power required to open an even slightly higher end restaurant in said area must be astounding. No tourists except an occasional lost Chinese group or Middle Easterners from the group hotel at the 3rd road intersection. 

Wrong again, some other famous western restaurants and bars are found 100m from Dave Cantina. So funny that you seem to be living in your own world without understanding the REAL World.

And of course not only Arabs and Chinese in this street.

Edited by abab

The much bally hooed Pastrami on Rye closed last night, for good. Rumor they are going back to some neighborhood and/or the "owner" went to Hooters, who knows...and again, who cares? A two bite sandwich costing me 300 Baht convinced me not to go back despite the good location and AC and basically clean presentation. We sometimes forget where we live. Most people are on limited "budgets" and will try something once but won't make a habit of 300-500Baht meals when you can simply go to one of dozens of outdoor markets and create a fine meal for 40 Baht, saving money for warm beers daily. 

The one co-owner was hired as GM of Hooters a year ago. Maybe it  became too much of a burden keeping that place going too. Sad to hear.

Ok, thanks. I prefer Tex-Mex style. As for the area I guess it's still an upgrade from that neighbourhood of yours.

25 minutes ago, abab said:

Wrong again, some other famous western restaurants and bars are found 100m from Dave Cantina. So funny that you seem to be living in your own world without understanding the REAL World.

And of course not only Arabs and Chinese in this street.

Please name the other "famous" western restaurants. And, I was referring to tourists, not the general population of the area, when I mentioned the lost Chinese and middle easterners.. Thank you and God Bless You. ps:since I've been up and down that Soi at least 500 times, your enlightment on these restaurants will be perhaps simply mind blowing...

3 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Please name the other "famous" western restaurants. And, I was referring to tourists, not the general population of the area, when I mentioned the lost Chinese and middle easterners.. Thank you and God Bless You. ps:since I've been up and down that Soi at least 500 times, your enlightment on these restaurants will be perhaps simply mind blowing...

http://blueolivethailand.com

2 hours ago, saucyjack said:

Pastrami on rye has closed as its relocating , and teamed up with sweet spot to do desserts , the owner worked as Assistant GM at Hooters for a very short time , not everyone drinks beer with ice and lives on 40 baht street food

Howdyalike them apples Bruce?

PoR was a decent breakfast or brunch spot for me and Mrs NL and the prices weren't at all bad considering what one got; decent sized servings of good tasting food. Of course it's not the sort of place where one would dine daily but that's because there's plenty of decent alternative choices in and around the city, but it certainly is one of the places where one would dine regularly.

I hope they relocate to somewhere with less road (and more foot) traffic and easier parking too.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Howdyalike them apples Bruce?

What apples? I said I don't care and will add, I'm glad you and your Mrs. enjoy it. Don't hold your breath on the other predictions. It failed. No one is happy to see people fail, but I just don't accept the "blame the customer" mentality so often exhumed on this forum. As for Blue Olive being famous, well again, proof is in the posting. It hardly qualifies as "famous" and most members have never been there or heard of it. That's the best they could do with time to think about it? I think my remarks are confirmed. The rib eye's on offer this very moment at Friendship, marked "special" and priced at 795 a Kilo look fantastic. It's not consistent so get there quick if you like a good steak. Next roll could be back to no marbling and tough(after cooked). 

34 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

What apples? I said I don't care and will add, I'm glad you and your Mrs. enjoy it. Don't hold your breath on the other predictions. It failed. No one is happy to see people fail, but I just don't accept the "blame the customer" mentality so often exhumed on this forum. ...

I called you on your 'I told you it would fail because I can't afford it I didn't like it' apples and for someone who repeatedly says he 'doesn't care', you still have a lot to say on PoR's temporary closure, relocation and what the management or partners are doing elsewhere. Who is blaming the customer anyway?

9 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

A two bite sandwich costing me 300 Baht

Two bites? Having partook of several of the sandwiches that were PoR's specialty, I reckon you must have a real big mouth.

Anyway, here's more apples for you.

Pastrami On Rye open.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I called you on your 'I told you it would fail because I can't afford it I didn't like it' apples and for someone who repeatedly says he 'doesn't care', you still have a lot to say on PoR's temporary closure, relocation and what the management or partners are doing elsewhere. Who is blaming the customer anyway?

Two bites? Having partook of several of the sandwiches that were PoR's specialty, I reckon you must have a real big mouth.

I mentioned it as an after thought to my remarks about Dave's Cantina. I don't have much to say about PoR's closing. I wasn't a regular customer because as I said, I felt ripped off and left it at that. Not a long diatribe about the place. I could not, did not and do not care. The sandwich mentioned was...Pastrami on Rye bread. It was tiny and if memory serves, 300 Baht. The word is they are going back to their home and will have delivery again so you can simply place take out or request delivery. Enjoy yourself and God Bless You. 

I will quote what I said about PoR on the other thread just in case...

I saw the news this morning (Sun Feb. 5) and drove over there to check.  It was open, and I saw the manager and told him that I heard a horrible rumor that they were going to close.  He confirmed that today was the last day of operation at that location.  The rent was astronomical apparently.  The food will be available only via delivery service starting tomorrow Feb. 6 via Food Panda/door2doorpattaya.com.

A sad day for me as I had one last corned beef sandwich there.

11 hours ago, saucyjack said:

Pastrami on rye has closed as its relocating , and teamed up with sweet spot to do desserts , the owner worked as Assistant GM at Hooters for a very short time , not everyone drinks beer with ice and lives on 40 baht street food

Thanks for the update. I haven't been there in awhile and was going by what the owner last told me.