The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Greek Grill House

Cafe style dining in a light, bright and white venue on Soi Buakow.

Everything looks strikingly clean , including the toilets

Choose from a limited range of dishes in a central display area.

The businesslike lady running the show is a Thai-Greek dual national.

Service is prompt.

I had Moussaka at 180 bahts including  salad trimmings.

The food was pleasant and tasty. I recognise that their are a number of regional variations but this is the first time I have been served Moussaka cooked without tomatoes or aubergines.

The portion size would have been OK for a former Biafran war refugee but not for the average western male.

Overall, my verdict: 5/10

Hello,

Without tomatoes or aubergines  ? Seems impossible ?!

Was the food as oily as the dirty thing that someone posted here few days ago ?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

Beetroot is purely an Australian thing. Never seen it offered on a burger in the states.

Best burger i have had here was at Hooters. Hardrock is second Jim's 3rd Pastrami on Rye 4th. But PoR by far is the best value priced at around 260 bath about half the price of the other places.

I've heard different reports about Hooters, never been to Hardrock and I am planning on visiting Jim's.  What made the Hooters and Hardrock burger best?  Just wondering.  

Eventually I should try them out also but I am asking for a reason to do so.  Right now judging from the pictures, Jim's look like they make awesome burgers.  It's a shame about Pastrami on Rye, hopefully it's just a hiccup. 

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 9:49 AM, Damrongsak said:

So glad my wife is a good cook and we eat a home, at least until she retired ahead of me 6 months ago and went back to Thailand.  Thai and Vietnamese food, nothing stinky (except for fermented shrimp paste - :)).  Her Asian friends here in USA are all over it.  Not too bad at making spaghetti sauce or some other things after 30+ years in a foreign land. Maybe I should tel her to move out of Isaan and open a restaurant in Pattaya.  She can do bacon and her room-temperature fried eggs are good if the weather is warm.  :)

Has she got any sisters (single) ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Greek Grill House

Service is prompt.

The food was pleasant and tasty. I recognise that their are a number of regional variations but this is the first time I have been served Moussaka cooked without tomatoes or aubergines.

The portion size would have been OK for a former Biafran war refugee but not for the average western male.

No aubergines or tomatoes, leaving lamb, taters and onions. Sounds like you had Lancashire Hotpot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Greek Grill House

Service is prompt.

I'm not challenging what you say about your experience but my experience was different. 
Referring to the moussaka, as anyone can see in the picture mine did have eggplant and the portion was MORE than  adequate especially considering the creamy aspect of the dish. Whether the minced meat in the dish was cooked with tomato sauce or not, I really can't say as I didn't really notice that either way. I would agree that no eggplant would be an unacceptable fault for traditional moussaka.

Aside from the included salad, the bean dish on the plate was a separate 1/2 order that I requested.

The Thai lady you spoke of told me she doesn't actually do the cooking and isn't an owner, but she does run the retail show.

As I mentioned before I did find the food on the oily side but not unpleasantly so, but I can understand why people looking at the pictures I posted may think differently. Probably a lot of water from the steam table  on the plate that looks like oil. 

greek3.jpg.044deb3f1d84aa907d68881c90db8ecf.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

jingthing:

I  did not find the Moussaka to be excessively oily,  rather It was less oily than I would have anticipated, had it been authentic

To be authentic one would expect a true Moussaka to be cooked with tomatoes rather than tomato sauce , although tinned cooking tomatoes probably deliver a better result than fresh tomatoes. Without doubt this Moussaka had never seen a tomato or an aubergine although  it was certainly edible and tasty.

Portion size is a subjective issue but  I could only describe my serving as a snack size light lunch.

If your experience was discordant with mine then inconsistency is possibly the explanation.

I have seen your picture and it doesn't reflect my experience of the same dish purchased in the  same establishment.

I invite you to agree that, If like me  you ordered the first portion from a full tray, then it would not be possible to assess the inner contents of the dish. 

It's entirely possible that the dish is not the same every day. Chefs don't normally work 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Perhaps other members should try it and report their experience ?  

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

Of course I agree if it's a full tray you can't see the contents. But on the other hand that's one of the glories of a point point operation. You usually can see what you're ordering. I walked in there once and didn't find a meal to appeal (the offerings change daily) so just said, see you later.

In any case, I don't think anyone including the owners there are suggesting the joint is a high end gourmet level Greek restaurant. But in my experience, they're doing pretty well at offering "working class style" Greek food for their price level in Thailand. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Of course I agree if it's a full tray you can't see the contents. But on the other hand that's one of the glories of a point point operation. You usually can see what you're ordering. I walked in there once and didn't find a meal to appeal (the offerings change daily) so just said, see you later.

In any case, I don't think anyone including the owners there are suggesting the joint is a high end gourmet level Greek restaurant. But in my experience, they're doing pretty well at offering "working class style" Greek food for their price level in Thailand. 

My observations were not made against the expectation of a high end gourmet restaurant.  I have simply reported my own  experience in a fair, measured and objective manner. There is nothing uncommon about two customers having a different experience on different occasions. Consistency is itself a measure of quality !

On 2/11/2017 at 7:13 PM, Roger Lee said:

What made the Hooters and Hardrock burger best?  Just wondering.  

Hooters burger tasted just like I would get back in the USA, basiclly the same taste. I think they are using Aussie beef but even when I cook it myself it doesn't taste that good. I am guessing they are adding fat and using a Hooters hamburger seasoning.  

Hardrock is a bigger burger but I liked hooters better. Its been a long time since i had it but with a drink it was 600 baht. 

Best burger I'v had is Asia was in Sn.ville Cambodia from an american run restaurant. The owner told me he used Australian angus ground beef adding fat and seasoning to it. When the patty was on the grill he would then put bacon grease on it too.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 1

Bacon grease is grossly underrated and criminally underused. Try soaking a thick slice of bread in bacon fat then stick it under the grill like you would toast. In civilised parts of the UK pork dripping is used to make sandwiches - dripping cakes as they are known. Beef dripping is used in chip shops for deep frying chips.

If you have a dodgy ticker avoid all of the above.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah we could talk about using lard in cooking, your lady's home cookin', etc. till the cows come home, but just another friendly reminder.

Please try to keep the posts on THIS thread about Pattaya area restaurants specifically. 

If you need renewed guidance, please refer to the O.P. 

Edited by Jingthing

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah we could talk about using lard in cooking, your lady's home cookin', etc. till the cows come home, but just another friendly reminder.

Please try to keep the posts on THIS thread about Pattaya area restaurants specifically. 

If you need renewed guidance, please refer to the O.P. 

That's a bit rich from someone who often mentions SoCal cooking in this thread, if you don't mind me saying so. It is incumbent on us all to state our own preferences and cooking styles from time to time in the hope that they may be represented in the eateries of this fair city; whether those preferences come from Southern California or the North of England or anywhere else. Please don't assume that your preferences are better than mine and can be discussed whenever it takes your fancy, whilst advising that any discourse of my preferences are to be nipped in the bud. Let's celebrate our culinary differences. You haven't lived a full culinary life, JT, until you have had fish and chips fried in beef dripping from a proper chippy in the North of England. The very best fish and chips in Pattaya are the palest of pale comparisons. Pass the salt and vinegar, me owd cocker and pardon me for challenging your Executive Order.

Edited by champers
  • Like 2