The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I don't get the comment saying the Pastrami sandwich was 2 bites? I have had it at least a dozen times, it was huge and hard to finish with so much pastrami in it. It was better than some Jewish deli's i had tried back in the states as most pastrami is shipped in from large suppliers now. If i had to be really critical, it could have helped if they put less meat on it and priced it at 250 or so. However I did not mind paying 300 for that big of a sandwich.

The other sandwiches were huge also, and they had one of the best burgers in Thailand. I am sad to see them move but they did take a risk with that location as if you make something nice, like that restaurant was, when the rental term is up land owners here jack it up to crazy prices. I would not be supersized if that is the case here too.

I hope they find a place soon as i don't like door2door. They have great food and they need to be in a single shop house with a low overhead. Their original location where they started years ago would be fine with me.

Edited by marinediscoking

1 minute ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Bit confused.......P&R is closed for renovation?  But it will open at another location on 9 Feb.  If they are moving, were is the new location?

The Facebook page says same location, reopening at 7AM on Thursday 2/9.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

I don't get the comment saying the Pastrami sandwich was 2 bites? I have had it at least a dozen times, it was huge and hard to finish with so much pastrami in it. It was better than some Jewish deli's i had tried back in the states as most pastrami is shipped in from large suppliers now. If i had to be really critical, it could have helped if they put less meat on it and priced it at 250 or so. However I did not mind paying 300 for that big of a sandwich.

The other sandwiches were huge also, and they had one of the best burgers in Thailand. I am sad to see them move but they did take a risk with that location as if you make something nice, like that restaurant was, when the rental term is up land owners here jack it up to crazy prices. I would not be supersized if that is the case here too.

I hope they find a place soon as i don't like door2door. They have great food and they need to be in a single shop house with a low overhead. Their original location where they started years ago would be fine with me.

Their cheese burgers were/are great as are the mid-west style thin crust pizzas. Those sandwiches only look small when it's a 400lb guy trying to be satisfied by one. Some people should stick to their usual cheap street food.

Edited by pegman

Something about Thailand I have noticed is if a Thai is making your sandwich, it will be lacking adequate amounts of meat.  

Anyway, I have hit up 3 Mexican places recently.  These are my reviews:

Sue's Place:  I did not like it much seemed the food was microwaved.  Burritos, tacos, etc bland and served not hot.  It is inexpensive, but not quality food I did not think.

Tequila Reef:  Just average.  They did have Corona beer which was nice but I thought the portions were small for the price.  Taco Tuesday was not bad.

Mike's:  I really liked this place reminded me of Socal Mexican.  Large portions fresh hot and clean. I will return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave's Mexican Cantina

They have the best enchiladas I have had in Thailand. As previously mentioned they are made with shredded beef which makes a big difference in taste. I have noticed on my trips back to the states that most of the Mexican Restaurants located outside California are using ground beef in all beef dishes. Seems they take the short cut thinking most won't care but that another rant to be had elsewhere.

I do agree about the overpricing, seems more like beach rd. prices, I don't think many 2 week tourists will make it out that far. Also a small percent of the expat's will be going there regularly if things aren't priced 40 baht or so lower. Also portion sizes are small. I had 2 small enchiladas and two minuscule sides of rice and refried beans. The menu was a simple laminated A4 single single page so I guess he will change it after testing some things out. 

I wish him success as he has great tasting food.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 6:36 PM, ThaiBob said:

POR patrons, per their FB page they reopen on Thursday, Feb 9th. Some mention of a collaboration with the Sweet Spot. Stay tuned. 

PoR did not reopen this morning as they promised. The farang chef was sitting outside and they plan only to make deliveries from their old location on Jomtien Beach Rd. The Tappraya location restaurant is permanently closed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

PoR did not reopen this morning as they promised. The farang chef was sitting outside and they plan only to make deliveries from their old location on Jomtien Beach Rd. The Tappraya location restaurant is permanently closed. 

I was just about to ask about Pastrami on Rye....drove by it on a bhat bus and it looked like nothing was inside. 

On 2/7/2017 at 10:22 AM, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

The bacon was undercooked should you like the fat crispy. The eggs looked and tasted like they had been cooked some time ago ,then reheated, and some culinary barbarian had imaginatively sprinkled a cluster of green herbs over them just to make sure I didn't come back.

Disappointing, 3/10

Shocking considering the reported rent and fixed costs associated with that location, in addition of course to the previous failures there. If you can't do bacon and eggs correctly one has to wonder about all the rest....

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

No reason to really. According to the members here, it was a good value before and anyone who disagrees is overweight, a cheap charlie, low bottom expat, sex craving tourist, drunk, lacks class, and all the rest. Overpaying and buying girls from another farang makes you a "breed apart" and above it all, a team player, considerate and respectful of another's business decisions. 

Sounds about right. 

So glad my wife is a good cook and we eat a home, at least until she retired ahead of me 6 months ago and went back to Thailand.  Thai and Vietnamese food, nothing stinky (except for fermented shrimp paste - :)).  Her Asian friends here in USA are all over it.  Not too bad at making spaghetti sauce or some other things after 30+ years in a foreign land. Maybe I should tel her to move out of Isaan and open a restaurant in Pattaya.  She can do bacon and her room-temperature fried eggs are good if the weather is warm.  :)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, tolsti said:

I received a message today from Jims Burgers saying that as of 1st February they are open at lunchtime every day and not just Sat + Sun as at present.

Got another message yesterday to say that they are not open 11am until Midnight 7 days per week and are also doing deliveries.

• Like 1

Anyone ever had an egg at a local market stall up-country in the cold season?  Kai Luak. Throw an egg in a glass and pour hot water on it.  Might be OK on a warm day, not so much if it's cold and the egg white doesn't turn white. I used to order it two times around (hot water twice).  One to warm it, another to at least keep the egg white from being snotty. It was OK then.

14 hours ago, bobbin said:

I wonder if Pastrami on Rye will reduce their prices. Cheaper rent, no wait staff..

Drama continues:  I just drove by Pastrami on Rye and they appeared to be open again.  Tables were out front and two customers there.  If anybody has the "truth," please post it.  It does not look closed....at least as of 10 February.

36 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Drama continues:  I just drove by Pastrami on Rye and they appeared to be open again.  Tables were out front and two customers there.  If anybody has the "truth," please post it.  It does not look closed....at least as of 10 February.

If you are so curious why didn't you stop and ask yourself??  Or call them on the phone...

PS:  Just finished a 10 second call to the place and they are open and fully operational.  Boy, that was tough.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Got another message yesterday to say that they are not open 11am until Midnight 7 days per week and are also doing deliveries.

Hmm, on their Facebook page a post made yesterday says they are open 11-12, although in the hours section it says they aren't. I just called them at 2pm and they say they are open.

9d48c521fddd79e5b633d1d483074a07.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If you are so curious why didn't you stop and ask yourself??  Or call them on the phone...

PS:  Just finished a 10 second call to the place and they are open and fully operational.  Boy, that was tough.

Well to add more intrigue to this topic. I walked by there earlier this morning around 10:30 AM. I talked to one of the staff there who was sweeping the deck area. She told me that they are relocating back to the original location and will be only delivery and take out. She also stated that they were open today but were just serving coffee and pastries. I was able to glance inside and many of the tables and chairs were stacked on top of each other giving the impression that it either a major cleaning or a move was happening. Sorry guys it looks like they be gone.

Edited by jwdub
  • Like 2

Pastrami on Rye:  They're OPEN.  They're CLOSED.  They're OPEN.

The are open again today on Thappraya Road.  But, only serving on the outdoor patio.

Last night all the patio furniture was gone.  Today they're serving only on the patio.  What's up with that?  

What is it with the structure of burgers these days? Can anyone actually take a bite out of the damned things without half the contents squirting out onto the plate.Take out the tomato, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, beetroot and any other assorted veggies and put them where they belong - in a salad. I yearn for a thick and juicy burger cooked to medium rare served on a bed of onions fried golden brown and silky served on a lightly toasted bun. Ketchup for me, please but if you must pay extra for blue cheese sauce, BBQ sauce or any othet concoction dreamt up. Is there anyone anywhere in Pattaya that can satisfy my craving. I blame Americans and Aussies (for the beetroot).

Greek Grill House

Cafe style dining in a light, bright and white venue on Soi Buakow.

Everything looks strikingly clean , including the toilets

Choose from a limited range of dishes in a central display area.

The businesslike lady running the show is a Thai-Greek dual national.

Service is prompt.

I had Moussaka at 180 bahts including  salad trimmings.

The food was pleasant and tasty. I recognise that their are a number of regional variations but this is the first time I have been served Moussaka cooked without tomatoes or aubergines.

The portion size would have been OK for a former Biafran war refugee but not for the average western male.

Overall, my verdict: 5/10

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni
error correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

What is it with the structure of burgers these days? Can anyone actually take a bite out of the damned things without half the contents squirting out onto the plate.Take out the tomato, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, beetroot and any other assorted veggies and put them where they belong - in a salad. I yearn for a thick and juicy burger cooked to medium rare served on a bed of onions fried golden brown and silky served on a lightly toasted bun. Ketchup for me, please but if you must pay extra for blue cheese sauce, BBQ sauce or any othet concoction dreamt up. Is there anyone anywhere in Pattaya that can satisfy my craving. I blame Americans and Aussies (for the beetroot).

Beetroot is purely an Australian thing. Never seen it offered on a burger in the states.

Best burger i have had here was at Hooters. Hardrock is second Jim's 3rd Pastrami on Rye 4th. But PoR by far is the best value priced at around 260 bath about half the price of the other places.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2017 at 6:38 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

No reason to really. According to the members here, it was a good value before and anyone who disagrees is overweight, a cheap charlie, low bottom expat, sex craving tourist, drunk, lacks class, and all the rest. Overpaying and buying girls from another farang makes you a "breed apart" and above it all, a team player, considerate and respectful of another's business decisions. 

Permission to plagiarise. I will borrow parts of this from time to time.

Never heard "low bottom expat" before, might change that to bottom feeder. Or am I just out of touch.

• Like 1