The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 03/04/2017 at 5:15 AM, Jingthing said:

Amma's Kitchen

South Indian specialty restaurant

In large (first) soi running between Soi 16 and Soi 14 north of Pattaya Klang,

Soi 16 is a Pattaya Klang soi many people would know, between 2nd and 3rd, adjacent to the large Thai covered "food court" on Klang.

Confusing directions!

I'd like to try this place.

Looks like it's on Soi 14, Pattaya Klang. If so, I believe this is the soi on the other side of Pattaya Klang from the north end of Soi Buakhao.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d10962223-r455130118-Ammas_Kitchen-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

Confusing directions!

Looks like it's on Soi 14, Pattaya Klang. If so, I believe this is the soi on the other side of Pattaya Klang from the north end of Soi Buakhao.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d10962223-r455130118-Ammas_Kitchen-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I wouldn't call it 14.

It's on a soi between 14 and 16.

As far as I noticed, there is no street sign on the connector soi (I did look).

Find Central Palace on this map (not the street view).

You'll see Amma's NAMED on the map on the same soi, opposite side of it on that map.

That's it.

http://www.soidb.com/pattaya/apartment/central-palace-apartment.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Confusing directions!

Confusing directions ? ! Are you crazy ! It never happened on this thread !!!!

:-)

Screenshot 2017-04-12 04.29.05.png

Edited by abab
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, abab said:

Confusing directions ? ! Are you crazy ! It never happened on this thread !!!!

:-)

Misleading map intentionally excluded.

The pointer on that map that you posted is incorrect. It indicates that it is on 14 well BEFORE the connector soi I mentioned. It's not there. I've already indicated where it is above, on that connection soi between 14 and 16.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, abab said:

Yes but how useful is it ?1 Sorry, your posts are great, but they lose 50% of interest because you are not able to click on your iphone of android location !

I might be a monkey, but I drove on Central Pattaya and was not able to find the Pho restaurant, what couldn't have happened with GPS location THAT EVERYBODY IN THIS WORLD IS ABLE TO KNOW BY JUST 1 FINGER CLICK !

Thank you again, anyway.

Are you totally incapable of getting off your butt and looking? It has loads of signs now. No point in driving either.... there is no parking. If you are so unobservant perhaps you have more than your share of car crashes as well?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The pointer on that map that you posted is incorrect. It indicates that it is on 14 well BEFORE the connector soi I mentioned. It's not there. I've already indicated where it is above, on that connection soi between 14 and 16.

give up pal..... this person wants GPS co-ordinates only. Maybe OCD or if you put the letters in the correct order (which they should be)....CDO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, keep indicating instead of posting a map or directions, you see your self how good it is !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

The food was pretty good and the prices were good.  250 baht for a huge cheeseburger with two sides of your choice.  My gf had Thai food and really liked it which is unusual as she usually prefers market food.

I don't consider 250 Baht a good price for a burger and fries and whatever that second side is? 

How would you/her distinguish  "Thai food" from "market food"? Thanks. 

I tried the new "Great American Sandwich" place on Soi Bouikow. The pulled pork is advertised as 1/2 pound of pork but I have my doubts as to that. 170 Baht again advertised as a good price but again, opinions would differ. Clean and comfortable place with enough staff for a carnival.

I won't make it back until after the madness as traffic already driven me back home today. I couldn't even get to Foodland to stock up. It's only going to get worse we can assume. I should have left town but had other issues to deal with. 

Happy New Year and may God Bless You.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You really wouldn't like Hooters. Stay away.

That 250 b/ burgers looks terrific!  Great chef there and yes I think he was the source of the temporal greatness of defunct Bite Me while it lasted (even after he left, muted somewhat). 

People are always gonna kvetch about prices (well some :whistling:people anyway), but hopefully in this thread we can get good information about what's offered, and people can decide for themselves whether it's worth it for them. 

Prices do matter. I usually try to include price information in my posts about restaurants and I encourage others to do the same. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah a double burger and fries can run about 200 b at Burger King.  That burger looks pretty darn good I assume hand made patty and looks like homemade bun.  Quite a bit less then Hard Rock or Hooter's I believe.  I will have to check it out.

That second side is mushrooms?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yeah a double burger and fries can run about 200 b at Burger King.  That burger looks pretty darn good I assume hand made patty and looks like homemade bun.  Quite a bit less then Hard Rock or Hooter's I believe.  I will have to check it out.

That second side is mushrooms?

Actually it was a pasta salad.  Very tasty and well prepared with peanuts and other stuff.  Next time I think I'll try their Aussie Steak.

16114803_1846896828887548_1367689502630345847_n.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

How would you/her distinguish  "Thai food" from "market food"? Thanks. 

I have no idea, but she certainly does.  She frequently cooks up Issan dishes to the delight of her many female friends at the condo complex. 

Currently the duck soup sold at the Rompho Market in Jomtien off 2nd Road and Rompho for 50 baht next to Kiss Food & Drink is all the rage here with the Thai community.  They know their tastes, I certainly don't have a clue :-).

Edited by Roger Lee

1 minute ago, TaaSaparot said:

And yet another dismissal of Thai Food from the Guru.

I think it's really sleazy to intentionally spin my post to imply that it says something that it does not say. I was referring OBVIOUSLY (and you know it too) to the fact that the FOCUS of that restaurant is their non-Thai BBQ menu. As I'm sure you well know, many restaurants locally with a non-Thai focus also offer a Thai menu because this is Thailand and some customers won't want to eat the non-Thai food. Rarely are those places where you can get the best Thai food in town. You know that too, I'm sure. 

BTW -- that pad krapow did look quite good and I find it quite hard to get pad krapow in Thai restaurants that meet my preferences. I do prefer a runny egg though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

16114803_1846896828887548_1367689502630345847_n.jpg

I made another visit the other night and had the Ham Hock shared by two of us.

As with everything I have had at Ewan's place it was fantastic.

For me, location is a bit of a pain, but the food is worth the hassle.

He was talking about tweaking his menu and prices with low season here now.

Worth checking his facebook page as he does do daily specials ..... The Ham Hock with two sides was 500 baht that day.

Also well worth considering if you are thinking of holding a party.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, champers said:

I'm going to reccomend a Thai place, though I can't eat spicy Thai food myself. I had a group of Thai visitors over recently and we went to the Charoen (yes, same name as the opticians) restaurant on Naklua Road just past the Lumpini Ville condo complex and on the same side of the road. All varieties of seafood, chicken and pork were consumed with a lots of rices and noodles. Chocolate ice cream was for afters. All was heartily consumed and deemed to be aroy mak mak. My chicken fried rice was very light and had lots of tasty chicken and plenty of good veggies. Bill for 6 ran to 1120 Baht, a snip methinks.

This place I suppose --

https://foursquare.com/v/charoen-food--drink/4da820eda86e68edb7d563b2

1 hour ago, champers said:

I'm going to reccomend a Thai place, though I can't eat spicy Thai food myself. I had a group of Thai visitors over recently and we went to the Charoen (yes, same name as the opticians) restaurant on Naklua Road just past the Lumpini Ville condo complex and on the same side of the road. All varieties of seafood, chicken and pork were consumed with a lots of rices and noodles. Chocolate ice cream was for afters. All was heartily consumed and deemed to be aroy mak mak. My chicken fried rice was very light and had lots of tasty chicken and plenty of good veggies. Bill for 6 ran to 1120 Baht, a snip methinks.

I know this place, totally useless one except for someone who knows nothing about Thai food.

18 minutes ago, abab said:

I know this place, totally useless one except for someone who knows nothing about Thai food.

I encourage you to post information about some local Thai restaurants that you feel are exceptionally good. 

• Like 1