21 Million Tourists, And Still Counting: Thailand

webfact

TOURISM

21 million tourists, and still counting

Phoowadon Duangmee

The Nation

Amid rising country profile and strong performance in 2012, TAT expects to see 24.5 million arrivals next year

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's international tourist arrivals reached the 21-million mark yesterday and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) now aims to achieve 24.5 million next year.

The 21-millionth international tourist this year was on Thai Airways International's flight TG 551 from Ho Chi Minh City, which landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport in the afternoon, according to the TAT, which described the achievement as promising for the country's tourism industry.

"We're confident that the number will increase a little more to 22 million by the year-end," said TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni, who presided over the ceremony at the airport's arrival terminal to welcome the 21-millionth international tourist.

International tourist arrivals, according to TAT, have increased 15 per cent from last year and earned the country more than Bt965 billion, a 24-per-cent rise from last year.

Seeing this promising trend, the TAT now aims higher for 24.5 million international tourists next year, and an estimated Bt1.14 trillion in tourist revenue, according to its press release.

Among the top-10 source countries for international visitors, China stays at the top, followed by Malaysia, Japan, Russia, South Korea, India, Laos, Australia, the United Kingdom and Singapore, according to the TAT.

"Asian tourists are still our main market, and we saw the number of arrivals through Suvarnabhumi and Phuket airports increase 35 and 47 per cent respectively in the first two weeks of December," the TAT governor said.

The Asean Economic Community will take off in 2015 but the idea of an "Asean zone" is already drawing many more Asian tourists to Thailand. It has increased a strong sense of travel, and encouraged Asians to visit their neighbouring countries, he said.

"Our family often takes a holiday in Thailand. We love the beaches here, as they're more beautiful and well-organised than what we have back home in Vietnam," said Niculas Carlsson, a Swedish expatriate, who travelled with his Vietnamese wife and two children on THAI TG 551 from Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok.

"Last year, we went to Phuket and now we are returning for a holiday in Samui Island."

Thailand's tourism industry is also wooing Russian tourists, who seek an escape from the cold winter at home, to the "tropical paradise" in Thailand.

Conde Nast Traveler, a respected travel magazine, recently released its annual reader survey, and the voting result spreads a positive image of Thailand to global readers.

Bangkok has become travellers' first choice among Asian cities, beating Hong Kong, Kyoto and Singapore. Chiang Mai, in Thailand's North, is ranked fifth in the annual Readers' Choice Awards.

In the Top 10 Islands in Asia category, Phuket is ranked second behind Bali, and Koh Samui is ranked fifth.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-29

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMMMM.. Ive been here most of the year (In pattaya) and its got to have been the quietest year ive seen. Ive got friends who live in Phuket who also said that its been very quiet.. I think that there maybe more tourists but there staying for a much shorter time..ie 1or 2 weeks.. not so many now staying for 2 or 3 months.. Business in general is poor in Pattaya.. once again are they just dressing it up.. they would'nt do that would they ;-0

• Like 1

A few of the restrurant owners I know wonder were these people are, they say not as good as last year. I think too many non spending chinese.

Your restaurant owners will increasingly grow their worries...guaranteed!

The Asian tourist is a totally different tourist rather than the western farang, the restaurants were used to see.

Asian tourists travel in groups and you are mistaken by the non-spending Chinese; they spend more than their western counterpart!

Asian tourists have a day-to-day program, fully booked in booked hotels, buses, restaurants and sightseeings.

They are not the typically beach tourists! Asians do NOT like to stay on the beach during daytime; they dont like to get brown/burned like the western tourist.

And, what's more important: they are here to stay and will be a MAJOR group of inbound tourism, whether one likes it or not.

After all, it's THEIR hemisphere..is it not?

A few of the restrurant owners I know wonder were these people are, they say not as good as last year. I think too many non spending chinese.

The Asian tourist is a totally different tourist rather than the western farang, the restaurants were used to see.

Asian tourists travel in groups and you are mistaken by the non-spending Chinese; they spend more than their western counterpart!

Asian tourists have a day-to-day program, fully booked in booked hotels, buses, restaurants and sightseeings.

They are not the typically beach tourists! Asians do NOT like to stay on the beach during daytime; they dont like to get brown/burned like the western tourist.

And, what's more important: they are here to stay and will be a MAJOR group of inbound tourism, whether one likes it or not.

Reminds me of when the all in one tourist hotels opened up in other parts of the world. Tourists didn't need to leave the confines of the hotel grounds. Great for the hotel, but when the travel presenters talked to the locals, they were less than enthusiastic. The holidaymakers were no longer spending money in the local family run businesses. With the organised tours the Japanese and Chinese go for, the little guys will lose out big time.

• Like 2

Not really anything surprising here. Thailand is a huge destination for foreign tourists and is growing leaps and bounds with the Chinese as a top destination. The surrounding regions in general is seeing similar increases. The only odd thing is that there are so many unhappy folks posting here that can't accept so many people love to visit Thailand because of the attractions, prices and service levels.

But I guess if it makes posters feel better to believe their is some international conspiracy where foreign travel organizations, airlines, airports, investors, hotel construction and numerous other global organizations have got together with Thailand to inflate the number of arrival and departure cards then so be it ... whatever makes their boat float.

I did my 90 day report yesterday. Normally I just go in and straight up to the window. This year there has been a wait every time. Yesterday I was #40 and #23 was being served when I got there. Airplane arrivals are up from last year. The GDP is up, the Stock Exchange of Thailand is up 36%. Central mall in Pattaya is packed every day I go. The big Japanese restaurant in Rayong has a waiting list every time I go. All the economists are reporting positive about Thailand. The only place one reads anything negative about Thailand is on Thai Visa.smile.png

Why do you always bring up Thai economy into tourism numbers??? Do you not understand it is not related ???

What does 90 days reporting have to do with tourism?

And finally , are you not aware that 1 year has 12 months and while right now we are at the peak of high season, the other 11 months of the year,the place was almost empty compared to previous years

Tourism is one of the driving forces of the Thai economy. If tourism is up the economy will be up. Tourist dollars have a multiplier effect on the economy. Tourism is very related to the Thai ecomomy.

Many Farang tourists stay more than 90 days. How many single men stay at hotels and eat at restaurants 6 months a year and then go back to Canada and the USA? A lot. And they spend a lot.

I mention the economy because the numbers from international sources can be trusted more than anecdotal evidence from some old whiners writing from cold water flats in the West because they are jealous of people who live in Thailand.

Any responsible person with knowledge of the tourism business in Thailand will attest that this year season or no, is better than last season.

Word to the wise. No one likes to dine at a restaurant with no customers.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Why do you always bring up Thai economy into tourism numbers??? Do you not understand it is not related ???

You appear to be either sorely misinformed or just like to make things up as tourism accounts for approximately 6.7% of Thai GDP.

Currently, medical tourism makes up 0.4% of the GDP, while tourism overall accounts for 6% to 7%, the third most important economic driver in Thailand. To compare, the Thai automotive industry accounted for 12% of GDP last year, while manufacturing led the way accounting for 36% of GDP in 2011.

BBC Travel

post-566-0-31112600-1356756994_thumb.jpg

World Travel & Tourism Council (pdf)

You're correct in what you've written but whether or not the Chinese will be a boom for Thailand depends on how the Thais deal with the way they travel. As you've identified they travel in groups and follow a set itinerary. This may or may not be good for Thailand depending on who get the cash from the Chinese tourists. In the 80s through to the 90s many Japanese tourists traveled to Australia in the same organized way that the Chinese travel now. The benefits of the tourist spending were significantly reduced because the groups of Japanese tourists were directed into shops, restaurants, hotels and tour operations that were own by Japanese companies. Kick back / commissions were paid to the tour leader so local businesses missed out on a significant portion of the tourist boom. I don't know if the same will happen here but it's possible.

I did my 90 day report yesterday. Normally I just go in and straight up to the window. This year there has been a wait every time. Yesterday I was #40 and #23 was being served when I got there. Airplane arrivals are up from last year. The GDP is up, the Stock Exchange of Thailand is up 36%. Central mall in Pattaya is packed every day I go. The big Japanese restaurant in Rayong has a waiting list every time I go. All the economists are reporting positive about Thailand. The only place one reads anything negative about Thailand is on Thai Visa.smile.png

And finally , are you not aware that 1 year has 12 months and while right now we are at the peak of high season, the other 11 months of the year,the place was almost empty compared to previous years

Tourism is one of the driving forces of the Thai economy. If tourism is up the economy will be up. Tourist dollars have a multiplier effect on the economy. Tourism is very related to the Thai ecomomy.

Many Farang tourists stay more than 90 days. How many single men stay at hotels and eat at restaurants 6 months a year and then go back to Canada and the USA? A lot. And they spend a lot.

I mention the economy because the numbers from international sources can be trusted more than anecdotal evidence from some old whiners writing from cold water flats in the West because they are jealous of people who live in Thailand.

Any responsible person with knowledge of the tourism business in Thailand will attest that this year season or no, is better than last season.

Word to the wise. No one likes to dine at a restaurant with no customers.smile.png

Again with the same nonsense.

6% is a driving force?blink.png

Those who stay longer than 90 days usually are not so called tourists but rather either expats or long term residents.

Anyone with REAL experience and knowledge of the country knows that this year has been the most quite year in the past 3.

But since you and your buddy Nisa insist on posting nonsense, perhaps one of you can explain to me why the official stats in the past 2 weeks has been

24 Million

22.8 Million

22 Million

21 Million

Please enlighten me with your deep and thorough knowledge of economics and tourism how and why the numbers keep changing by 1 million with each statement?

Please show me some graphs and statistics to explain the 1 million loss of people with each statement?

• Like 2

You appear to be either sorely misinformed or just like to make things up as tourism accounts for approximately 6.7% of Thai GDP.

Currently, medical tourism makes up 0.4% of the GDP, while tourism overall accounts for 6% to 7%, the third most important economic driver in Thailand. To compare, the Thai automotive industry accounted for 12% of GDP last year, while manufacturing led the way accounting for 36% of GDP in 2011.

BBC Travel

6.7% is not a huge amount nor it is a driving force.

Furthermore the amount of tourists does not make up the 6.7% the amount of money spent by the tourists makes up the 6.7%

So if half the stated amount visited Thailand, but spent double as much, it would make the same 6.7%

Again with the same nonsense.

6% is a driving force?blink.png

Those who stay longer than 90 days usually are not so called tourists but rather either expats or long term residents.

Anyone with REAL experience and knowledge of the country knows that this year has been the most quite year in the past 3.

But since you and your buddy Nisa insist on posting nonsense, perhaps one of you can explain to me why the official stats in the past 2 weeks has been

24 Million

22.8 Million

22 Million

21 Million

Please enlighten me with your deep and thorough knowledge of economics and tourism how and why the numbers keep changing by 1 million with each statement?

Please show me some graphs and statistics to explain the 1 million loss of people with each statement?

Sure no problem please provide links to your 24,22,22 figures.

BBC Travel

Wow. the 0.4% for medical tourism really surprised me as being such a large contributor as a % of GDP.

Id be interested in knowing the make up (no pun intended) of which countries the tourists for this industry are from. If such detailed figures exist.

I guess there are a lot of people who have never been in the hospitality business. I have been successful with Chinese tourists and Japanese tourists and even French tourists. You bribe the bus driver. It is not like it's rocket science. biggrin.png

Of course.

Your bus tour does not end up at lunch stops with an interconnecting door to a gem merchant by accident. (30% discount WITH authenticity certificate!).

It is not like most tour companies look for the best value or best tasting food for you.

• Like 2

BBC Travel

Wow. the 0.4% for medical tourism really surprised me as being such a large contributor as a % of GDP.

Id be interested in knowing the make up (no pun intended) of which countries the tourists for this industry are from. If such detailed figures exist.

If i am not mistaken but Bangkok Hospital Bangkok and Bumrungrad both have contracts with Dubai and few other States in the area, to treat a huge number of people(covered either by the state or insurance)

Not so long ago, there was a big dispute between Bangkok Hospital and from memory Dubai( i could be wrong) about the over billing, the amounts were into hundreds of millions.

When i was treated in BKK Hospital few years ago, in physiotherapy room it was mainly people from that region and i know i paid 1000 baht for 20 mins treatment while they were signing bills for 2000 for about the same treatment.

21 million http://www.thaivisa....nting-thailand/

22 million http://www.thaivisa....f-thai-tourism/

21.8 million http://www.thaivisa....ailand-rise-14/

23 million http://www.thaivisa....ailand-in-2013/

Two of the numbers are from different media outlets; one in Hawaii. The other two, 21.8 and 22 million look to me like it was rounded up. In any event pretty close and both reported by Nations news.

The end message is all the same. Business is booming including the tourist business.

• Like 1

Two of the numbers are from different media outlets; one in Hawaii. The other two, 21.8 and 22 million look to me like it was rounded up. In any event pretty close and both reported by Nations news.

The end message is all the same. Business is booming including the tourist business.

ok great answerthumbsup.gif

post-157118-0-12801000-1356765475.jpg

• Like 1

ok great answerthumbsup.gif

post-157118-0-12801000-1356765475.jpg

GDP up 5% this year 7% next. Stock market up 33% this year. Standard and Poors and Moodys positive about Thailand. Unemployment lowest in memory. Auto sales highest in history. Tourists entering country highest in History. Who are the only people who see any gloom and doom in business in Thailand? You and 4 or 5 others posting on Thai Visa? Come on man.

Even if you are having business problems do you think the cure to get more business is to tell people how bad business is?

• Like 1

You know, Chiangmaikelly might just be right.

Everything seems to be going so swimmingly just now what with the amazing economic data he refers to that it would be a shame to mess with it. Let's have no more silly coloured shirts, no more politicians who spend more time in court that in parliament and no more Mr T. PM Yingluck is obviously the nation's saviour' and maybe her feng shue initiative has created the Miracle Thailand we were promised after all.

MMMMM.. Ive been here most of the year (In pattaya) and its got to have been the quietest year ive seen. Ive got friends who live in Phuket who also said that its been very quiet.. I think that there maybe more tourists but there staying for a much shorter time..ie 1or 2 weeks.. not so many now staying for 2 or 3 months.. Business in general is poor in Pattaya.. once again are they just dressing it up.. they would'nt do that would they ;-0

I don't think that they need to cook the books on tourism stats. Well, Pattaya maybe. tongue.png