How Should I Give Directions To Reach My Building To A Thai Person?

Asiantravel

Perhaps someone who has lived in Pattaya longer than I have could give me some constructive advice as to the correct way to give instructions to a Thai about how to reach my address when something is being delivered or they are visiting?

I actually stay in a building fronting a particular Soi and I always provide them in an e-mail with the number of my building on that Soi as well as a photograph of the building itself looking straight on taken from the Soi and then a even Google map which also shows the location.

But time after time people keep getting stuck at the beginning of the Soi and have to ring up an get me to go and meet them down the Soi . They always ask me what Soi number they say “ have many Soi’s 6,8. 15 etc “but I explain to them it is not down another Soi it's actually fronting the main Soi the name of which I've already given you! Where am I going wrong? Like I said I always provide the number of my building on the Soi itself which is attached at the front of the building but nobody seems to take any notice of this.

The address system in Thailand I believe is dreadful. If you go to somewhere like Phnom Penh it's so easy to get around and find buildings and locations because the address system is clear and easy and actually makes sense !

Try just going down and meeting them! They will never learn, and most directions are from a 7/11 to another 7/11. This is Thailand, and no one can give or understand directions here, thats including farang. If you listen to the radio adds, for a bar or anything else, the soi is always given, then they say its next to so and so, addresses mean nothing here. I have thought about this problem many times also, and havent yet come up with a solution.

• Like 1

He's a delivery driver. it's probable that they have a delivery docket with an address. It's unlikely that he will have access to any email that is sent. He may not even be based in the same location that you sent the email to. Find some known Thai landmark near your house that you can reference and if you can find one, then just get used to taking 1 or 2 minutes to walk to the end of the soi

• Like 1