The Ultimate Pattaya Döner And Gyros Guide

raro

I think I should also post something.... So here we go:

Döner King in Pattaya Klang, just a few shop houses down from that supermarket.

Run by a Turk, so expect authenticity galore. The Döner and other kebabs (Adana, Shish...) are actually great, but what is totally beyond me is why he replaced the yoghurt sauces (that he used to have) against mayonnaise based sauces.

Only three stars from raro. No frigging mayonnaise on a Döner!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

I like the one on 2nd road, just past S. Pattaya road. On the right as headed into Pattaya about 20 meters or so past the intersection.

That's Emad. He's one of the first who used to have a mobile cart opposite where MacDonalds at The Avenue is back in 2007.

I would say he's the best of a bad bunch. Nothing amazing, but passable.

I think I should also post something.... So here we go:

Döner King in Pattaya Klang, just a few shop houses down from that supermarket.

Run by a Turk, so expect authenticity galore. The Döner and other kebabs (Adana, Shish...) are actually great, but what is totally beyond me is why he replaced the yoghurt sauces (that he used to have) against mayonnaise based sauces.

Only three stars from raro. No frigging mayonnaise on a Döner!

I totally agree. Good place. BUT. The mayo sauces, only options, are atrocious, so they've lost my business. No problem with offering them, just offer other choices as well. Which they don't.

I want an actual Greek gyro w/ no mayonaise. Is there a place out there that sells gyro? I think not.

Gyro is just a bastardisation of a Kebab and as this thread states there are a few to choose from in town. A name doesn't make the dish ...........

Pattayanis

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect App

Where is that one?

They are here:

http://www.facebook....&type=3

What they have is grilled Greek (chicken or pork) Souvlaki w/ olive oil & oregano, served w/ bread and fresh lemon. Not Gyro. Better than Gyro?

http://www.facebook....&type=3

Edited by Jingthing

The fallafel kebabs' at Mikes' Kebab at the food court in Big C South Pattaya are very tasty!

Unfortunately the quality can vary depending on the staff making them. Mike is not there too often these days and he's leaving most of the work in the hands of his staff. I think this is a problem at most kebab places.

The place down from Emad on 2nd Road, where his partner set up a shop is a typical example. It's only worth getting a kebab there if he is working. His wife and the other staff make really lousy ones.

Same problem in Central Mall's food court. There's a kebab stall tucked away in the far corner (near the supermarket entrance). I've had good kebabs there when the owner makes them, but the other day I had one of the worst kebabs ever there. Sometimes the chicken is over salted too.

You can never win every time anywhere. Consistency is always a problem.

The fallafel kebabs' at Mikes' Kebab at the food court in Big C South Pattaya are very tasty!

Unfortunately the quality can vary depending on the staff making them. Mike is not there too often these days and he's leaving most of the work in the hands of his staff. I think this is a problem at most kebab places.

The place down from Emad on 2nd Road, where his partner set up a shop is a typical example. It's only worth getting a kebab there if he is working. His wife and the other staff make really lousy ones.

Same problem in Central Mall's food court. There's a kebab stall tucked away in the far corner (near the supermarket entrance). I've had good kebabs there when the owner makes them, but the other day I had one of the worst kebabs ever there. Sometimes the chicken is over salted too.

You can never win every time anywhere. Consistency is always a problem.

I think this is a problem at EVERY food serving place and is not restricted to kebab places.

I want an actual Greek gyro w/ no mayonaise. Is there a place out there that sells gyro? I think not.

Gyro is just a bastardisation of a Kebab and as this thread states there are a few to choose from in town. A name doesn't make the dish ...........

indeed, especially since they are schwarmas

Edited by tinfoilhat

I also think the Greek pita is better, but I disagree with JT about pattayinis. I think the pita at acropolis are far better which is located in the same are of soi buacoaw across the street from the Katoey bar/buchers arms pub and behind the fruit stand. One of the owners is a professional greek chef who comes to pattaya for the winter.

Edited by marinediscoking

I quite like the lamb doner kebabs at the small shop on South Pattaya Road, near Subway and just a few yards from Walking Street. I think he calls it Pumpuy kebab, or something like that. It's run by a Turkish guy (a couple of them actually, look like brothers) and he does the cooking himself, so the lamb is juicy and not overcooked or burnt. He's let down by his choice of sauces, mayo, garlic mayo, ketchup and chili ketchup, so I take my own extra spicy sauce. There may be better places around, but this one is very convenient if you've had a night out on the tiles in the Street of Shame.

I quite like the lamb doner kebabs at the small shop on South Pattaya Road, near Subway and just a few yards from Walking Street. I think he calls it Pumpuy kebab, or something like that. It's run by a Turkish guy (a couple of them actually, look like brothers) and he does the cooking himself, so the lamb is juicy and not overcooked or burnt. He's let down by his choice of sauces, mayo, garlic mayo, ketchup and chili ketchup, so I take my own extra spicy sauce. There may be better places around, but this one is very convenient if you've had a night out on the tiles in the Street of Shame.

I think that guy told me the "lamb" is actually "combo meat" with beef.

I think that guy told me the "lamb" is actually "combo meat" with beef.
the dreaded mayo again? What happened to good old cacik?

• Like 1