Risk Of Explosion Inside A Gas Car?

Sandman77

It's not the engine,but LPG fuel that is more dangerous than the other two....if by choice,I'll stick with diesel.smile.png

So? Fire/explosions after an accident don't happen frequently, let alone frequently enough to warrant any warning against LPG for this.

And the video posted earlier the badly installed LPG gives the most time for rescuewink.png

How high Is the usage of old LPG cars? Over the holidays we make a journey from Isaan to auythaia , with a 3o year old Toyota car by I friend in the village for only 800 km he need 3 and a half tank of LPG!

I traveled from BKK to Sisaket a distance of almost 600 km I have also driven to Phuket which is about 900. You need not worry about the availability of LPG. There are stations everywhere. On my LPG fuel gauge the single red light gives me about 80kms before it runs out. So after all the orange lights have disappeared or after about 250kms, I start thinking about refueling. Costs about 450 baht to flll up.

My wife noticed that there were very few NGV stations on the route we took, but lots of LPG.. But you will need to recognize the Thai script for "LPG"

Easy enough to spot the little red and blue torch icon on all LP station signs, it takes a bit of getting used to though and if you have dual fuel, running out is never really a concern as there is always something to get you to the next station, town or wherever...

It's not the engine,but LPG fuel that is more dangerous than the other two....if by choice,I'll stick with diesel.smile.png

So? Fire/explosions after an accident don't happen frequently, let alone frequently enough to warrant any warning against LPG for this.

And the video posted earlier the badly installed LPG gives the most time for rescuewink.png

I'd be curious to know how badly they sabotaged that installation too to get that result? It'd be nice to know exactly what they did or didn't do besides obviously not installing a pressure relief valve.. Honestly I can see an Lp tank having a much more controlled release then that given it has a weak point at the valve & psi gauge and should blow those off well before an entire tank failure..

You can find examples of anything on the net these days, but that does not mean it happens frequently. Let alone frequently enough to claim that LPG engines are more dangerous than any other kind of engine.

It happens frequently enough for there to have been many recalls of entire series of petrol-fuelled cars for mods to be carried out on them. I'm not aware of that ever having happened to diesel-fuelled vehicles.

And my comments are about the fuel, not the engine.

What your poorly attempting to say is that it does not vaporize as easily as does the other 2 fuels but it is extremely inflammable and can still ignite just as easily and violently if spilled & no longer contained which is the point of the OP's question not while still contained in the tank.. This is off topic now so no more discussion need be made, the point has been clearly and unequivocally established..

Unfortunately you are just plain wrong.

You can find examples of anything on the net these days, but that does not mean it happens frequently. Let alone frequently enough to claim that LPG engines are more dangerous than any other kind of engine.

It happens frequently enough for there to have been many recalls of entire series of petrol-fuelled cars for mods to be carried out on them. I'm not aware of that ever having happened to diesel-fuelled vehicles.

And my comments are about the fuel, not the engine.

Petrol or LPG?

You don't like it, up to you, but don't pretend LPG is dangerous for explosion risk after accidents. Simply not true.

What your poorly attempting to say is that it does not vaporize as easily as does the other 2 fuels but it is extremely inflammable and can still ignite just as easily and violently if spilled & no longer contained which is the point of the OP's question not while still contained in the tank.. This is off topic now so no more discussion need be made, the point has been clearly and unequivocally established..

Unfortunately you are just plain wrong.

Unfortunately you're a lost cause, in case you hadn't noticed there is no one taking your view point...Pretty telling that is, especially if you can still argue your point in the face of irrefutable proof of it's failing. coffee1.gif.. So the videos and reports I posted are what? Just fabrications? Dare I ask then, what was the reasoning for their tragic and volatile ignition in your immensely professional opinion whistling.gifrolleyes.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually saw in the newspaper today a Nissan owned by a ford employee exploded from the LPG tank. so it does seem to happen

Yes, they all do, that was never the debate, in any given situation any one of them can catch fire or explode if they weren't volatile they wouldn't work very well as motor fuels whistling.gif .. But is LP more prone to it then any other fuel? That was the OP and the general consensus is no it isn't when properly installed and in under normal circumstances...

Anyone can find this kind of information, the OP, and anyone else.. So why we discuss all this is beyond me? Maybe it is just for the fun?

Yes I know this is Thailand but using that as a point of argument has to take into account that any fuel system installed in Thailand will be subject to the same idiosyncrasies.

Conclusion

Considering all of the factors above, an LPG fuel system is quite a lot safer than most Petrol or Diesel systems.

Any risk that is added when a vehicle is converted to run on LPG is significantly less than the risk(s) we already (readily) accept.

A dual fuel (e.g. Petrol and LPG ) vehicle cannot be any safer because it retains the original risk, but it is certainly no less safe than it was before the conversion was carried out.

A vehicle with no Petrol or Diesel fuel system at all (a dedicated LPG vehicle) would be significantly safer than any of the above.......

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/danger.html

Edited by VocalNeal

Anyone can find this kind of information, the OP, and anyone else.. So why we discuss all this is beyond me? Maybe it is just for the fun?

Yes I know this is Thailand but using that as a point of argument has to take into account that any fuel system installed in Thailand will be subject to the same idiosyncrasies.

Conclusion

Considering all of the factors above, an LPG fuel system is quite a lot safer than most Petrol or Diesel systems.

Any risk that is added when a vehicle is converted to run on LPG is significantly less than the risk(s) we already (readily) accept.

A dual fuel (e.g. Petrol and LPG ) vehicle cannot be any safer because it retains the original risk, but it is certainly no less safe than it was before the conversion was carried out.

A vehicle with no Petrol or Diesel fuel system at all (a dedicated LPG vehicle) would be significantly safer than any of the above.......

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/danger.html

Watch it, you're trying to interject too much common sense and sensibility!

A good LPG installation is no more dangerous than a car running on petrol. Considering there are millions of petrol powered cars.....how often do you hear of one blowing up?

Guess you never heard of a Ford Pinto hugh...lol

Your right of course....explosions are igniting vapour not the liquid..the strength of the tanks is not usually the issue it's fuel lines,fittings etc, hence if poor installation greater the risk ba boom methinks..

Wondering ....is it standard to provide a drain hole under the tank in the trunk on LPG cars .....other open air /engine compartment leaks would disperse pretty quickly?

Think I would stay with diesel or gasoline....

Think about all the LP tanks in Thailand. Every home has at least on, every noodle cart has a couple, every big restaurant has a dozen, every taxi has one in the trunk, you truck loads all over over town and it is not unusual to see six or eight piled on the backs of motorcycle out for delivery.

How many do you see on fire?

When my GF and I move up country I would like to use waste products, kee kwai or whatever to produce gas that is usable in combustion engines.

I need a small plant to compress the gas, scrub the gas and pump it into vehicle mounted tanks.

If it's successful maybe build and market the systems for others.

I've already got the company name sorted "Sri-ratcha Hightech Injected Technology Home Obtained Urea Supply Environment-friendly Tank-stored Under-vehicle Renewable-energy Device Co Ltd".

But when it's converted into Thai I may need to rent the building nezt door to fit the whole name. Maybe I will just register the initials!