Taxi Driver Returns Bt3 Million Found On City Street To Truck Crew: Bangkok

webfact

Great news about an honest guy

But having said that as an ex bank employee he would know that the money would be destroyed if boxes were opened incorrectly and its hard to spend 3 million if it and you! are covered in purple dye!

Yup.

Better to wait for the cash reward in money you can spend, and of course get all that face for being so moral, honest, and better than the next man. He must have grown an inch with that alone.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he returned them so he is an honest man.....But i wonder if when he was working at the bank he found out about the exploding dye bombs they put inside those boxes. Happy New Year

Conspiracy theory:

Maybe he thought that receiving an honest reward would be safer than sharing the illgotten gains with his co-conspiritors.

No, that is too far-fetched.

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

"lot of good people"...no.... some. 5%? They should the man a car or a nice down payment on the house...he could of kept the 3 mil. and have that much and then some...

The authorities were due to trot out one of these stories. There is one every year. It deflects from things like this

http://www.thaivisa....e-smith-murder/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....-south-pattaya/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....ating-tourists/

Next year another taxi driver will "find 2 million Baht and return it to its grateful, rightful owner"

I was wondering the same This story seems to crop up often...

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

Agreed! Judging by the dour looks of those officers in the photo (particularly the one in the middle), one gets to thinking if perhaps...

I would have kept the money, to be honest. That much money just sitting around like that means some moron deserves to lose it and probably wouldn't matter much to them if it did get lost. Chump change compared to the billions more where that piece of corruption came from.

Let's hope you are not really an 'ajarn', theajarn. rolleyes.gif

Oh, but I am.

Think of me as some sort of Robin Hood. I wouldn't steal from the rich, and I readily would return a missing or dropped purse here and there -- heck, I even let the lady behind the 7eleven counter know that she's given me more change than I paid for the item itself -- but a giant bag of money most certainly belongs to some corrupt son of a b--ch.

Yeah, I'd take that money and donate it to charity.

Since the money was apparently bound for ATM's, it would be assumed that the money belonged to a bank. Your argument would seem to suggest that robbing banks is morally OK. Your morals and values define what you are.
  • Like 1

That's the one thing that crooks in this country never count on. .An honest person showing up to screw up their heist. Like what are the odds of that ever happening here? It's nice to know that there are still some honest taxi drivers out there.

I think that regardless of the merits of this particular case, that the overwhelming majority of people everywhere in the world are honest. I would have given it back, so would my husband and pretty much everybody I know: there are a couple who might not be so honest with a golden opportunity handed to them on a plate, but not the rest.

Discard all of the police or other officials corruption, they are a small percentage of the population and not all of them are bad. We've had a parking ticket which was being written as we ran up to the office, a going through a no entry sign (in front of a police officer) and a no helmet. In all 3 cases there was never any hint of the officer wanting money. They were very polite and helpful in giving us directions to where to go to pay the fine.

Taking police and government officials out of the equation (i.e. those who are in a position which is expected to be corrupt), I really believe that the majority of ordinary people out there are honest. I'm not a tree-hugging hippy-dippy new age wikka type or anything similar, but I really believe that only a small percentage of people are pre-disposed to be dishonest.

Most people, wherever you are in the world, are good.

Just my $0.02.

I agree 100%. It is sad when an honest person is news. I've had times in my life where I did the right and honest thing and people reacted with complete amazement. That's a sad commentary on our expectations.

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

Yes, based on the "facts" reported in the newspaper, it would appear to be a botched inside job where the three crooks had people who were supposed to pick up at the bridge and missed the handoff/pickup. The taxi driver stumbled along and "interfered."

and he didnt look inside the bag until the next morning that i do not believe i think he thought of the concequences and decided to return the goods or he was an accomplish in the set up that changed his mind

"Since it was heavy and he was afraid that it would cause an accident, he decided to take it home."

When someone finds something heavy in a sack that may cause an accident, they don't take it home and not open it until the morning. They leave it at the side of the road, don't they?

Apparently not

I would have kept the money, to be honest. That much money just sitting around like that means some moron deserves to lose it and probably wouldn't matter much to them if it did get lost. Chump change compared to the billions more where that piece of corruption came from.

Let's hope you are not really an 'ajarn', theajarn. rolleyes.gif

Oh, but I am.

Think of me as some sort of Robin Hood. I wouldn't steal from the rich, and I readily would return a missing or dropped purse here and there -- heck, I even let the lady behind the 7eleven counter know that she's given me more change than I paid for the item itself -- but a giant bag of money most certainly belongs to some corrupt son of a b--ch.

Yeah, I'd take that money and donate it to charity.

Since the money was apparently bound for ATM's, it would be assumed that the money belonged to a bank. Your argument would seem to suggest that robbing banks is morally OK. Your morals and values define what you are.

And why isn't robbing banks ok? they rob us blind every day.

I wonder if BIB gave thought to the notion that the taxi driver was in need of psychiatric help? A lot of Thai cops, renowned for their honesty and incorruptibility, must have thought this was very strange behaviour. wink.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ...strange behaviour...Too much

That's the one thing that crooks in this country never count on. .An honest person showing up to screw up their heist. Like what are the odds of that ever happening here? It's nice to know that there are still some honest taxi drivers out there.

I think that regardless of the merits of this particular case, that the overwhelming majority of people everywhere in the world are honest. I would have given it back, so would my husband and pretty much everybody I know: there are a couple who might not be so honest with a golden opportunity handed to them on a plate, but not the rest.

Discard all of the police or other officials corruption, they are a small percentage of the population and not all of them are bad. We've had a parking ticket which was being written as we ran up to the office, a going through a no entry sign (in front of a police officer) and a no helmet. In all 3 cases there was never any hint of the officer wanting money. They were very polite and helpful in giving us directions to where to go to pay the fine.

Read Thai folk tales about Sri Thanonchai or some local authors that write in English such as Pira Sudham. They will soon dispel you of such wishful notions.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

Well here's another. I was at a bar having a beer with a pal. The street noise was getting loud so after a while we moved to the back of the bar to finish my drink. After a while a serving girl came up and handed me a roll of baht that had fallen out of my pocket. Not a lot - just over a 1k bht. I gave her a 100bht tip which she at first declined.

• Like 1

Well here's another. I was at a bar having a beer with a pal. The street noise was getting loud so after a while we moved to the back of the bar to finish my drink. After a while a serving girl came up and handed me a roll of baht that had fallen out of my pocket. Not a lot - just over a 1k bht. I gave her a 100bht tip which she at first declined.

Yea, same here. In Jomtien beach Road a couple of years ago I was riding my bike on the pavement. My saddle bag dropped off the back without me knowing. It contained a few small things and about 200 baht in cash. Next thing I realised was a Thai guy on a motorbike rolled up beside me with the bag intact and gave it to me. I was flabergasted and very pleased. I gave him 100 baht which he initially declined and certainly did not expect. I'll never forget that as it went against all I know and expect in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Yea, same here. In Jomtien beach Road a couple of years ago I was riding my bike on the pavement. My saddle bag dropped off the back without me knowing. It contained a few small things and about 200 baht in cash. Next thing I realised was a Thai guy on a motorbike rolled up beside me with the bag intact and gave it to me. I was flabergasted and very pleased. I gave him 100 baht which he initially declined and certainly did not expect. I'll never forget that as it went against all I know and expect in Pattaya.

Went to Suvarnabhumi by Bells bus with my neice she was catching a plane to china the next morning and when we left the bus she had left one of her bags on the sidewalk containing all her money passport and all valuables ( yes not real bright ) Anyway we went to catch the mini bus to our hotel for the night when she realised that her bag was left on the sidewalk and when we had returned it was gone. So we went to see the airport police and gave them all the details and then just had to wait. The next morning early the police rang us and said they had the bag and we could collect it. The Bells employees had collected it and turned it in all in contact and my neice also didn't miss her flight. another good story and I bet there are many many more!

• Like 1