Taxi Driver Returns Bt3 Million Found On City Street To Truck Crew: Bangkok

webfact

Yes, Nisa, much more likely to have been an unsecured door. But logic never interferes with the good old conspiracy theory which TV posters love to produce in great numbers.

No doubt somebody screwed up (we all do sometimes) but agree to jump to a conclusion of dishonesty seems strange when the folks they hired were probably hired for their honesty above almost anything else. Being from the US, I personally find the average folks in Thailand to be very honest and generous and find Bangkok to be a much much safer city than large cities back home. If people visiting here and living here could learn one thing from general Thai culture it should be to try to think and see positive and not try to think bad or find negative in everything.

Bottom line is no matter what transpired to cause the money to leave the vehicle, you had a taxi driver return the money ($100k) and that is a good story. Why the need to bring ugliness to it except this is what many of us westerners are programmed to do.

Agree with that. Rather than pre-programmed western ugliness I'd classify it as cynicism, maybe with a touch of superiority thrown in.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminds me of my mate who had his motorbike stolen out of his secured condo.

The video camera was also out of order. Just happened to go 'out of order' that very night.

Luckily enough a condo down the road recorded the video of the two condo security guards wheeling it down the road and then lifting it into a pick-up truck. rolleyes.gif

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 2

I would have kept the money, to be honest. That much money just sitting around like that means some moron deserves to lose it and probably wouldn't matter much to them if it did get lost. Chump change compared to the billions more where that piece of corruption came from.

However I am sure Brinks is going to try to portray this event as an accident in order to salvage their reputation as money transporters.

The loss of face he's caused them, they're gonna have some big alligator smiles while publicly handing over his reward. whistling.gif

I would have kept the money, to be honest. That much money just sitting around like that means some moron deserves to lose it and probably wouldn't matter much to them if it did get lost. Chump change compared to the billions more where that piece of corruption came from.

Let's hope you are not really an 'ajarn', theajarn. :rolleyes:

The video camera was also out of order. Just happened to go 'out of order' that very night.

Luckily enough a condo down the road recorded the video of the two condo security guards wheeling it down the road and then lifting it into a pick-up truck. rolleyes.gif

...and just like the time that our security cameras were 'out of order' when someone broke into our school's computer lab.

Let's hope you are not really an 'ajarn', theajarn. rolleyes.gif

Oh, but I am.

Think of me as some sort of Robin Hood. I wouldn't steal from the rich, and I readily would return a missing or dropped purse here and there -- heck, I even let the lady behind the 7eleven counter know that she's given me more change than I paid for the item itself -- but a giant bag of money most certainly belongs to some corrupt son of a b--ch.

Yeah, I'd take that money and donate it to charity.

...and just like the time that our security cameras were 'out of order' when someone broke into our school's computer lab.

Thainess. whistling.gif

Putting on my negative cap to join the fun I asked myself why did he return the money.

I would imagine it was a short trip between ATM's and it wouldn't be long before the crew discovered for themselves what had happened.

How many traffic cams are recording events at 2am along the route?........I imagine the crew fill in a sheet writing down the time of their last delivery.....so how long before the police worked out what time the box fell out and check to see which cars were next to pass by.

You'd expect at least a knock on your door had you been one of them................bit late to be deciding to take a box back containg bags you recognise as money bags.....just so happened he never really looked until much later ;0)..................Like if I found a box first thing I would do is open it and have alook inside....anyone would.

Sit down, think, panic, take it back, is what might have gone down here or am I being too much of a neg?

Putting my positive hat back on. Isn't it wonderful to know there are some very hosest Thais out there who drive taxis?..betya he even turns the meter on

Edited by Tanlic

Could I be as honest MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe !!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe Not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I do know is I would have had to think long and hard indeed I am still thinking, hope Brinks give him at least 5% as a thankyou . HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

A fishy story, indeed... Too many coincidences.

how long before the police worked out what time the box fell out and check to see which cars were next to pass by.

You'd expect at least a knock on your door had you been one of them........

Would these Thai Police be some of the ones hired through the 300k baht police entrance exam scam unearthed a few months ago, where hundred of police applicants were caught paying 300k (3-4 years of their starting salary) to cheat?

If so, I'd guess they'd be on the case of 3 million missing baht pretty quickly.

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

More likely to get 5% of the three I dare say EX employees salary as a reward......more like it coffee1.gif

Always good to hear a story like this. Just go's to prove there are a lot of good people in the world. I hope he gets at least 5% of the money.

What? I thought that according to the TVF frothers that all taxi drivers were redshirt agitators and incapable of such acts.

Nice to see you now see it differently.

Not to get excited GK, it was only one EXCEPTION to the rule. The rest are still all "redshirt agitators incapable of such acts". rolleyes.gif Happy New Year

Police said the three employees gave conflicting information about the incident and that the truck's closed-circuit television camera was out of order. Police said they would investigate the case thoroughly.

sounds a bit suss methinks ! 3 employees different stories CCTV "not working" 3 boxes of money "accidentally left at the side of the road sort of sounds like a little self rewarded bonus to me bet they are well pissed that the taxi driver found it before they were able to retrieve it !

Yeah ... very brilliant thieves, huh? Left the bag of money in the middle of the road so they could pick it up later. Very brilliant comment too.

"Since it was heavy and he was afraid that it would cause an accident, he decided to take it home."

When someone finds something heavy in a sack that may cause an accident, they don't take it home and not open it until the morning. They leave it at the side of the road, don't they?

The authorities were due to trot out one of these stories. There is one every year. It deflects from things like this

http://www.thaivisa....e-smith-murder/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....-south-pattaya/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....ating-tourists/

Next year another taxi driver will "find 2 million Baht and return it to its grateful, rightful owner"

I was wondering how long it would take a TVer to turn this story into a cynical one.. Thanks for the buzz kill. Happy New Year anyway. Sounds like you could use it. Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

The authorities were due to trot out one of these stories. There is one every year. It deflects from things like this

http://www.thaivisa....e-smith-murder/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....-south-pattaya/

and this

http://www.thaivisa....ating-tourists/

Next year another taxi driver will "find 2 million Baht and return it to its grateful, rightful owner"

Disgusting. Uncalled-for, disdainful, empty speculation. The authorities did not "trot out" anything. On the other hand it is evidenced by the links that you have so readily provided that you keep a garbage collection which you stand ready to "trot out" if given the opportunity. Absolutely contemptuous.
  • Like 1

"Since it was heavy and he was afraid that it would cause an accident, he decided to take it home."

When someone finds something heavy in a sack that may cause an accident, they don't take it home and not open it until the morning. They leave it at the side of the road, don't they?

Each and every person each and every time??? Maybe, just maybe, the the taxi driver is truly a good honest person. Geeeze.

You've really rationalized that one, haven't you. Nice guy.

Let's hope you are not really an 'ajarn', theajarn. rolleyes.gif

Oh, but I am.

Think of me as some sort of Robin Hood. I wouldn't steal from the rich, and I readily would return a missing or dropped purse here and there -- heck, I even let the lady behind the 7eleven counter know that she's given me more change than I paid for the item itself -- but a giant bag of money most certainly belongs to some corrupt son of a b--ch.

Yeah, I'd take that money and donate it to charity.

Sure you would.
  • Like 1

Apart from the reward itself, Brinks should perhaps also consider giving the tax-driver a job, an honest man is hard to find !

Good on him ! thumbsup.gif

Very True....he deserves it.

That is a sterling idea. Really. Regardless of how that incredible sum, measured by any standard, came to be left behind, the point is, a guy who thinks 1,000 baht is a handsome piece of change returned this money. Yes, Brinks should hire him, and he would do well in Human Resources, to screen candidates who want to work there. Amazing story, and all the Boon belongs to this Honest Man. Well done sir.

Each and every person each and every time??? Maybe, just maybe, the the taxi driver is truly a good honest person. Geeeze.

Still doesn't explain why he took it home but did not look at it until the next morning. I can't imagine anyone taking home a heavy bag from off the road unless he thought it was valuable. And then not opening it until the next morning. I think the guy took it home thinking it was something worth having and when he got home, or before, he realised the cash/boxes might be traced or he might have been seen picking it up, so panicked and decided it would be safer just to return it like a good guy, and maybe get a reward. Of course, old HerbalEd, wouldn't do anything like that as it wouldn't be anally retentive enough.

Edited by Card

Great news about an honest guy

But having said that as an ex bank employee he would know that the money would be destroyed if boxes were opened incorrectly and its hard to spend 3 million if it and you! are covered in purple dye!

• Like 1