Policies Threaten Economy: Abhisit

webfact

POLITICS

Policies threaten economy: Abhisit

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung

The Nation

30197050-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has warned the government against continuing its populist policies in the same manner next year, saying the measures risked plunging the country into fiscal deficit and weakening the economy.

Abhisit has expressed his concern over the government's move to seek Bt2.2 trillion in loans while reducing revenue by cutting taxes, saying the plan would affect the country's monetary and fiscal positions.

"Everyone has come up with the same analysis - that if the government continues its current economic policies, the country will experience fiscal deficit and become weak economically."

The government, Abhisit said, is expected to increase its use of non-budget spending, something he said showed a lack of financial discipline and would put the country at risk. "At some point this financial indiscipline will adversely affect confidence in the country and result in a financial and economic crisis. The government should learn from our own history or from what has happened in foreign countries," Abhisit said.

Abhisit said next year the public would be adversely affected by rising living costs caused by

the government's policy of increasing the minimum wage to Bt300 and raising the price of cooking gas.

"The government's mindset of increasing prices first and solving any problems that may arise after, will create a lot of problems especially with corruption and discrimination. The increase in the minimum wage will cause many small-scale business operators [to go under]. The government also is not living up to its election promises to [slash] the cost of living," he said.

He suggested the government review its rice-pledging scheme, saying there are many ways to help farmers.

The farmers themselves have revealed that the money is not reaching them but has fallen into the hands of others.

Moreover, rice exports have dropped both in volume and in value, which has caused the country to lose markets which will be hard to regain," he said.

The opposition leader also offered advice to Thais on how to survive financially next year. "Living life in accordance with the sufficiency principle is best because it provides the best immunity," he said.

Abhisit also suggested the government review its plan to seek Bt350 billion in loans for urgent needs.

"It has been a year and the government has not done anything. If the government seeks the loan and does nothing with it, the public would have to shoulder interest unnecessarily," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-31

Maybe if previous Governments/Army over the past 50 years had thought about helping the farmers/other less well off with education, economic opportunity etc, then maybe the power vacuum which Thaksin stepped into and abused would never have been created.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted for the old political and Army General Bangkok families.

Maybe if previous Governments/Army over the past 50 years had thought about helping the farmers/other less well off with education, economic opportunity etc, then maybe the power vacuum which Thaksin stepped into and abused would never have been created.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted for the old political and Army General Bangkok families.

Well I doubt borrowing large sums to finance a High Speed Rail will benefit many of the less well off.

On a personal note, when I need to borrow a sizable amount of money I rarely decide it is time to stop working overtime, or otherwise reduce my income. In fact, if my income was excess to requirements, why would I need to borrow?

• Like 1

Well I doubt borrowing large sums to finance a High Speed Rail will benefit many of the less well off.

On a personal note, when I need to borrow a sizable amount of money I rarely decide it is time to stop working overtime, or otherwise reduce my income. In fact, if my income was excess to requirements, why would I need to borrow?

No it probably wont, but we would have never got to this stage if previous Governments (of all nature/color) had shown a bit of foresight and compassion for their fellow Thais, rather than just enjoying the riches of the country unhindered by the pesky poor. The reap what they sow. Perhaps if the people before AV had shown some common sense and logical thinking like he does then we would not be where we currently are.

Though I am unsure about the PT policy I can't see how it varies that much from Abhisit/Korns policies when they were in charge which also included the 'Strong Thailand' investment project of 1.43 trillion baht along with populists policies such as just giving people money.

post-34593-0-35965800-1356919220_thumb.j

• Like 1

Excellent points, everyone with any credibility would agree, thaksinomics is a recipe for financial ruin.

Oh is that so? Thing is that this isn't "Thaksinomicss". Interesting that you don't mention that the refinancing of a large part of the domestic debt arises in part to the Abhisit -Korm multi billion baht "stimulus" initiative that was enacted without much discussion, let alone oversight. Remember that?

The fact remains that the debt to GDP ratio is still going to be less than it was when Abhisit was at the same point in his administration. In the short time that Yingluck has been in office, the economic policies you ridicule have pushed Thailand's economy in a performance that exceeds that of many EU members.

Have you looked at the employment rate lately? If the government was doing such a bad job, why then is the economy at near full employment?

• Like 1

That may be true but completely wrecking Thailand's rice industry, plunging the country into debt and all the while the farmers are still not any better off is hardly economic genius or social justice.

Excellent points, everyone with any credibility would agree, thaksinomics is a recipe for financial ruin.

Oh is that so? Thing is that this isn't "Thaksinomicss". Interesting that you don't mention that the refinancing of a large part of the domestic debt arises in part to the Abhisit -Korm multi billion baht "stimulus" initiative that was enacted without much discussion, let alone oversight. Remember that?

The fact remains that the debt to GDP ratio is still going to be less than it was when Abhisit was at the same point in his administration. In the short time that Yingluck has been in office, the economic policies you ridicule have pushed Thailand's economy in a performance that exceeds that of many EU members.

Have you looked at the employment rate lately? If the government was doing such a bad job, why then is the economy at near full employment?

What effect do you think the GFC had on the Thai economy at the time? It's a bit difficult comparing the countries economic performance under two (or three) different governments when the global economy was quite different during each time.

What effect do you think the GFC had on the Thai economy at the time? It's a bit difficult comparing the countries economic performance under two (or three) different governments when the global economy was quite different during each time.

Valid criticism, but I offer one item was consistent: The bleakness.

Dont forget that Yingluck had the benefit of following a stable and fiscally responsable government which left a sound economic foundation for her government to rape. While the democrats followed 3 unstable Thaksin government who continued thaksinomics and a miltary coup government that greatly increased the military budget. In addition during Ahibist tenure they they had to fund the law enforcement opperations for multiple long term riot, the loss of revenue due to the occupation of the center of Bangkok ect ect. While Yinglucks governement has and is spending borrowed money on corrupt schemes that artificially infate the GDP through debt.

PS:Thing is that this isn't "Thaksinomicss".

Thailand set for return to 'Thaksinomics'....Thailand's incoming premier plans a raft of populist measures to narrow the rich-poor divide, at the risk of higher inflation and public debt. http://www.channelne...1140008/1/.html

11 May 2012 - Déjà Vu “Thaksinomics”? Many of Yingluck's policy measures, such as debt relief for state banks and soft loan schemes backed by the central bank, have ... https://www.alliance...20511_AC_VT.pdf

Many economists predicted that the economic policies of Yingluck's brother Thaksin – a set of rural-targeted policies dubbed 'Thaksinomics' – would bankrupt ... www.asiamoney.com/.../Yinglucks-pricey-promises-frame-Thailands...

Wrong again GK

PSS: When has Thailand unemployment rate been less than full employment, even during the riots when tens of thousands of redshirt were sitting around for months they were still employed

Not wrong "again". You denigrate the Thaksin administration, biut it posted some of the best economic results in Thailand's recent history. The Abhisit government was a temporary government, no matter how much you want to spin it. The reality is, and you can't accept it, that the popularly elected PM has managed the economy effectively and despite the constant chants and prayers for her demise, has performed well. Tell you what; next election Abhisit can run on his record of failures and Yingluck can run on her record of success and we'll see who will win. I anticipate that Abhisit will maintain his perfect record of losing elections.

Have a happy new year and remember, Thailand under the popularly elected and legitimate Yingluck of administration has succeeded and will continue to succeed despite the negativity of farangs.

I wish for health and prosperity to the charming, honest, diligent, dedicated and smart PM Yingluck. May she continue to govern with both the love, admiration and support of the Thai people. I offer you my hand in fellowship and brotherly love as I invite you to take the pledge of allegiance to the people of Thailand as they continue their journey of freedom and democracy, led by their beloved PM.

charming, honest, diligent, dedicated and smart PM Yingluck

Wow GK thanks for enightening me on our incredible PM. And here I was thinking she was just a clone. I guess K.Taksin didn't know what he was saying when he called her his clone.

I join you in your support of Thai people but not for the beloved one as you say unless she makes a 180 degree turn which I don't think will happen. Too bad she doesn't join you and me on your pledge.

• Like 1

Dont forget that Yingluck had the benefit of following a stable and fiscally responsable government which left a sound economic foundation for her government to rape. While the democrats followed 3 unstable Thaksin government who continued thaksinomics

'Stable' ...AV's administration...have you lost it. The mayhem caused by him deceptively slipping into the PM's seat through the back doors of the barracks set this country back as far as the 2006 coup.

And regarding Taksinomics;

• Thaksin's economic policies, helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty.
  • GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006.
  • Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.
  • Nationwide poverty fell from 21.3% to 11.3%.
  • Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000) )
  • The Stock Exchange of Thailand outperformed other markets in the region
  • After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007.
  • Public sector debt fell from 57 per cent of GDP in January 2001 to 41 per cent in September 2006.
  • Foreign exchange reserves doubled from US$30 billion in 2001 to US$64 billion in 2006.
  • Thaksin's 30-baht/visit universal healthcare program won the applause of the general public. Prior to the program's introduction, a large portion of the population had no health insurance and only limited access to healthcare. The program helped increase access to healthcare from 76% of the population to 96%.
  • During the Thaksin government, the number of people living with HIV/AIDS as well as the overallprevalence rate noticeably declined.
  • The Thaksin era also saw the opening of a number of government one-stop service centers to reduce red tape for anything from investment to utilities and ID-card processing.
  • After more than 30 years of planning and debate, the Thaksin government finally completed the construction of the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Thank god the yellows/ army/ Dems saved us from the evil dictator. Things have been so much better since he was removed.

Edited by Rich teacher
  • Like 2

Dont forget that Yingluck had the benefit of following a stable and fiscally responsable government which left a sound economic foundation for her government to rape. While the democrats followed 3 unstable Thaksin government who continued thaksinomics and a miltary coup government that greatly increased the military budget. In addition during Ahibist tenure they they had to fund the law enforcement opperations for multiple long term riot, the loss of revenue due to the occupation of the center of Bangkok ect ect. While Yinglucks governement has and is spending borrowed money on corrupt schemes that artificially infate the GDP through debt.

PS:Thing is that this isn't "Thaksinomicss".

Thailand set for return to 'Thaksinomics'....Thailand's incoming premier plans a raft of populist measures to narrow the rich-poor divide, at the risk of higher inflation and public debt. http://www.channelne...1140008/1/.html

11 May 2012 - Déjà Vu “Thaksinomics”? Many of Yingluck's policy measures, such as debt relief for state banks and soft loan schemes backed by the central bank, have ... https://www.alliance...20511_AC_VT.pdf

Many economists predicted that the economic policies of Yingluck's brother Thaksin – a set of rural-targeted policies dubbed 'Thaksinomics' – would bankrupt ... www.asiamoney.com/.../Yinglucks-pricey-promises-frame-Thailands...

Wrong again GK

PSS: When has Thailand unemployment rate been less than full employment, even during the riots when tens of thousands of redshirt were sitting around for months they were still employed

Not wrong "again". You denigrate the Thaksin administration, biut it posted some of the best economic results in Thailand's recent history. The Abhisit government was a temporary government, no matter how much you want to spin it. The reality is, and you can't accept it, that the popularly elected PM has managed the economy effectively and despite the constant chants and prayers for her demise, has performed well. Tell you what; next election Abhisit can run on his record of failures and Yingluck can run on her record of success and we'll see who will win. I anticipate that Abhisit will maintain his perfect record of losing elections.

Have a happy new year and remember, Thailand under the popularly elected and legitimate Yingluck of administration has succeeded and will continue to succeed despite the negativity of farangs.

I wish for health and prosperity to the charming, honest, diligent, dedicated and smart PM Yingluck. May she continue to govern with both the love, admiration and support of the Thai people. I offer you my hand in fellowship and brotherly love as I invite you to take the pledge of allegiance to the people of Thailand as they continue their journey of freedom and democracy, led by their beloved PM.

Happy new year GK, I share your sentiments and wish nothing but good times for the people of Thailand no matter who they are led by.

post-46292-0-73278300-1356933264_thumb.j

The Democrat party seems to have selective amnesia...bah.gif

Dont forget that Yingluck had the benefit of following a stable and fiscally responsable government which left a sound economic foundation for her government to rape. While the democrats followed 3 unstable Thaksin government who continued thaksinomics

'Stable' ...AV's administration...have you lost it. The mayhem caused by him deceptively slipping into the PM's seat through the back doors of the barracks set this country back as far as the 2006 coup.

• Thaksin's economic policies, helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty.
  • Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.
  • Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000) )
  • After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007.
  • Public sector debt fell from 57 per cent of GDP in January 2001 to 41 per cent in September 2006.
  • Foreign exchange reserves doubled from US$30 billion in 2001 to US$64 billion in 2006.
  • Thaksin's 30-baht/visit universal healthcare program won the applause of the general public. Prior to the program's introduction, a large portion of the population had no health insurance and only limited access to healthcare. The program helped increase access to healthcare from 76% of the population to 96%.
  • During the Thaksin government, the number of people living with HIV/AIDS as well as the overallprevalence rate noticeably declined.
  • The Thaksin era also saw the opening of a number of government one-stop service centers to reduce red tape for anything from investment to utilities and ID-card processing.
  • After more than 30 years of planning and debate, the Thaksin government finally completed the construction of the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Thank god the yellows/ army/ Dems saved us from the evil dictator. Things have been so much better since he was removed.

I hope you dont teach history.

"Thaksin's economic policies, helped Thailand recover from the 1997", Chuan Leekpai was a democrat PM from 1997 til 2001 Thaksin came to power in 2001

• Like 1

"Thaksin's economic policies, helped Thailand recover from the 1997", Chuan Leekpai was a democrat PM from 1997 til 2001 Thaksin came to power in 2001

poorly snipped & an even poorer grasp of the facts

Bangkok, Aug. 3, 2003 (TNA): "The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has sent a letter praising Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his economic team, and the Bank of Thailand (BOT) for their expert handling of economic policies, the prime minister revealed yesterday.

Making one of his proudest radio broadcasts to the nation, Mr. Thaksin revealed that the IMF board of management had sent a letter to Thailand congratulating it on the early repayment, and praising the government’s economic strategies and the expert handling of fiscal policies by the BOT, which had served to strengthen the economy.

The letter said that the prime minister and his economic team were worthy of praise due to the impressive progress that they had made, he said.

“Thailand will continue to have a good relationship with the IMF, but no longer in the status of a debtor."

Edited by Rich teacher
  • Like 1

This problem isn't only confined to Thailand , take a good look at the countries around her, except for Malaysia, Singapore and H.K. who all had British rule and Values knocked into them, the rest are all junta unrepresented rabble , ask yourself, who runs the government of Thailand my friend, the Generals in Charge of the departments , a trade off for free elections, so who does run Thailand???? it ain't Yingluckbah.gif

This problem isn't only confined to Thailand , take a good look at the countries around her, except for Malaysia, Singapore and H.K. who all had British rule and Values knocked into them, the rest are all junta unrepresented rabble , ask yourself, who runs the government of Thailand my friend, the Generals in Charge of the departments , a trade off for free elections, so who does run Thailand???? it ain't Yingluckbah.gif

Myanmar had british rule.

That place was a basket case ,full of tribal factions and in later yrs an elected head of state under house arrest , junta trash that still is in power today, only because the british didn't have the balls or inclination to go back in and sort it out, early , probably broke as usual.

poorly snipped & an even poorer grasp of the facts

Bangkok, Aug. 3, 2003 (TNA): "The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has sent a letter praising Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his economic team, and the Bank of Thailand (BOT) for their expert handling of economic policies, the prime minister revealed yesterday.

Making one of his proudest radio broadcasts to the nation, Mr. Thaksin revealed that the IMF board of management had sent a letter to Thailand congratulating it on the early repayment, and praising the government’s economic strategies and the expert handling of fiscal policies by the BOT, which had served to strengthen the economy.

The letter said that the prime minister and his economic team were worthy of praise due to the impressive progress that they had made, he said.

“Thailand will continue to have a good relationship with the IMF, but no longer in the status of a debtor."

LOL, Thaksin said he was praised by the IMF, how credible is that.

Thaksinomics has made the poor dependent on debt and relies on the middle-class for taxes. An anti-Thaksin academic has claimed that increased rural income resulting from anti-poverty projects has been spent on mobile phones, pickup trucks, and other flashy consumer items. An academic at Chulalongkorn University said, "The worst thing the prime minister has done is to destroy the basic market mechanism and twist social welfare into political king-playing."

It is claimed that the middle-class, defined as those making from THB 100,000 - 1,000,000,000 (USD 2,500 - 25,000,000) per year pay the majority of Thailand's income taxes. Other sceptics argue that a revival in export demand, rather than the government's fiscal policies, has been the main contributor to Thailand's economic recovery since 1997. TDRI economist Somchai Jitsuchon argues that "we cannot claim that Thaksin's economic management was obviously better than that for other countries [in the region]. Export demand largely contributed to growth." Somchai further argues that domestic consumption grew largely because of a low-interest-rate environment in international markets and not as a result of Thaksin's policies.

Thaksin had the PTT listed and it promptly became the largest company by market capitalization upon listing in the SET. PTT greatly benefited from the global increase in worldwide oil prices following the invasion of Iraq, and the rise in its stock price helped propel the SET to a boom in 2003. However, anti-Thaksin critics have claimed that PTT's bull run was due to manipulation by Thaksin.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

That the BOT is still carrying that debt is immaterial.

The BOT is not carrying IMF debt, but debt resulting from "in response to the East Asian crisis various measures such as blanket guarantee for all depositors and bank bailouts were put in place, causing huge losses for the FIDF"

Thaksinomics has made the poor dependent on debt and relies on the middle-class for taxes. An anti-Thaksin academic has claimed that increased rural income resulting from anti-poverty projects has been spent on mobile phones, pickup trucks, and other flashy consumer items. An academic at Chulalongkorn University said, "The worst thing the prime minister has done is to destroy the basic market mechanism and twist social welfare into political king-playing."

It is claimed that the middle-class, defined as those making from THB 100,000 - 1,000,000,000 (USD 2,500 - 25,000,000) per year pay the majority of Thailand's income taxes. Other sceptics argue that a revival in export demand, rather than the government's fiscal policies, has been the main contributor to Thailand's economic recovery since 1997. TDRI economist Somchai Jitsuchon argues that "we cannot claim that Thaksin's economic management was obviously better than that for other countries [in the region]. Export demand largely contributed to growth." Somchai further argues that domestic consumption grew largely because of a low-interest-rate environment in international markets and not as a result of Thaksin's policies.

You can find any number of academics who will argue on economic policy, but the best known indicator of inequality is the Gini Index (look it up if you don't know about it);

"Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000) )"

Cambodia and Vietnam were French colonies, (French Indochina)

You can find any number of academics who will argue on economic policy, but the best known indicator of inequality is the Gini Index (look it up if you don't know about it);

"Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000) )"

Ok so Thailand and Cambodia have the worst Gini coefficient in all of asia, with the exception of Communist China. whats your point?

Edited by waza