Racist Tourism And Imperialist Habits

annica2

I was a little disappointed searching for any articles related to privilege in the tourism industry in Thailand. The majority of those I found on "Racism in Thailand" were just more over privileged western people blogging about their shallow feelings and who may have experienced a little of the blowback from what has been hoisted upon Thai culture since (before) the Vietnam war.

I am embarrassed any longer to eat in any restaurant in Chiang Mai due to the macro effect of arrogant western tourists bringing their privileges and demand to what was once native Thai businesses. Any amount of 'xenophobia' in Thailand is only a symptom of the longest history of imperialism by western privileged powers experienced 365 days a year by Thai people left with no other option than to cater to tourists who show up to one of the cities here for 365 hours at most.

It is even more disgusting to me to read about this entitled mentality and just how much "help"(or philanthropic imperialism) tourists provide to Thai people when the opportunity for prosperity has been consistently stolen from them, first through militaristic imperialism, and subsequently through Western financiers propping up currencies in Europe and the U.S. and every other rich white country. The small amount of anger tourists feel during their holiday vacations to the beeches and bars of Thailand is nothing but blowback, and should be understood well by every traveller before bringing any pompous and arrogant demands to Thailand.

• Like 1

As Thailand, or Siam as is was then, is the only country in S. E. Asia not colonised by Western powers, please explain what you mean by "militaristic imperialism." Do you mean the Japanese occupation during World War 2?

Also, the attitude and behaviour of tourists in Thailand described by you is equally prevalent amongst tourists in my country, the UK, especially in London.

Yes, many Western tourists in Thailand, and elsewhere, are arrogant; ex pats too.

However, my step son works in a bank in a tourist area of Bangkok and he tells me that the most arrogant foreigners he deals with are the Japanese, with Indians and Russians coming a close joint second.

Go crawl back in your hole OP, even by the troll standards on TV the rant from this Annica creature is breathtaking.

It's Peter Mc ...Renowned for this sort of thing ,he's probably had 3 litres of cheap ozzy wine & has just been knocked back (again) by one of his Thai penpals whistling.gif

As Thailand, or Siam as is was then, is the only country in S. E. Asia not colonised by Western powers, please explain what you mean by "militaristic imperialism." Do you mean the Japanese occupation during World War 2?

Also, the attitude and behaviour of tourists in Thailand described by you is equally prevalent amongst tourists in my country, the UK, especially in London.

Yes, many Western tourists in Thailand, and elsewhere, are arrogant; ex pats too.

However, my step son works in a bank in a tourist area of Bangkok and he tells me that the most arrogant foreigners he deals with are the Japanese, with Indians and Russians coming a close joint second.

I'm only referring to old colonialism as historicity and specifically linking arrogant and demanding habits by privileged tourists to neo-colonialism, racism and imperialist influences. Because Thailand was not a textbook case of old school colonization, doesn't mean it hasn't, throughout history, been caught in the middle of it all. Your son's experiences fit well into what I'm referring to in my initial post.

Also, I'm actually very happy to troll this board.. AND point directly at the elephant in the room.

I was up for what may have proven to be a lively discussion before toddling down the pub to see the New Year in (still 7 hours to go here in the UK); but.............

Also, I'm actually very happy to troll this board

In which case you can crawl back under your bridge, you sad little individual.

Dealing with Westerners can't be easy for a simple unworldly Thai, immersed in nothing but Thai social-interaction. Like a fish in the sea that suddenly has to jump out to deal with humans for the first time.

Which is why they charge them triple for the pleasure.

Can't be easy for them.

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

I'm only referring to old colonialism as historicity and specifically linking arrogant and demanding habits by privileged tourists to neo-colonialism, racism and imperialist influences. Because Thailand was not a textbook case of old school colonization, doesn't mean it hasn't, throughout history, been caught in the middle of it all. Your son's experiences fit well into what I'm referring to in my initial post.

Also, I'm actually very happy to troll this board.. AND point directly at the elephant in the room.

Perhaps you could tell us what is the macro-effect of arrogant tourists bringing their privileges and demands to Thailand?

Perhaps you could tell us how strong Western currencies have harmed Thailand.

Perhaps you could explain the militaristic domination that Thailand has suffered.

Until you outline a basis of facts in which you believe, we find it very difficult to hold any meaningful discourse.

Normally, when I go off on a rant with no real basis, it is through some fault of my own, rather than any real injustice or failing of the world - in my case, normally drink, though boredom and frustration can also give rise to pointless unpleasantness

SC

So in your universe you don't have to be colonized to experience the negative effects of being colonized, merely being situated nearby a country that has been is enough. India is now a colonial power with imperial influences? I don't think so, if I remember history correctly India was colonized by the British Empire and England was actually a real empire with real imperial influences. India and many other former British colonies have somehow managed to overcome the horror of English colonization and is now doing fairly well only 60 some years after it ended. What (in your mind) exactly is the elephant in the room? I must have missed it. Edited by rsokolowski