A Where To Get Repaired Question.

KhunHeineken

I was recently asked by a backpacker where he could get his backpack fixed. He ripped the nylon material. He was making do with an on the road repair with duct tape but he wanted it fixed properly. I couldn't help him with an answer.

Due to the festive season, I didn't get a chance to ask this question on the forum, and he has since moved on, but for the future, I would like to know if there is a place in Phuket that will repair backpacks, properly.

There are many Thai ladies on the side of the road with their sewing machines, but I don't think they could handle a job like this. I thought about somewhere around the Marina that would repair sails for the boats, but I don't know much about that.

Does anyone on this forum know of a repair place or a place that could improvise to fix a rip in a backpack? There is nothing on Google. Thanks.

Not specific you your location but had a tailor shop make some trousers last month and provided a sample that had a hole in material and they repaired the sample without cost and not even visible so suspect such shops could do it.

Not specific you your location but had a tailor shop make some trousers last month and provided a sample that had a hole in material and they repaired the sample without cost and not even visible so suspect such shops could do it.

I never thought about tailor shops. I spend a fair bit of my time when walking around trying to avoid them. :) I suppose they have access to industrial cloth cutters and sewing machines.

I'll ask a couple of them and see what they say.

I get my shorts altered by a Thai guy in a tin hut near the beginning of Soi Sai Yuan, just after the junction with Viset road:

post-35489-0-34726000-1357027083.jpg

His hut is on the extreme left of this picture, next to a convenience store. The traffic lights at Viset Road are in the distance, centre right.

post-35489-0-34726000-1357027083_thumb.j

• Like 1

I hope I dont offend anyone with this comment but I will give it a shot

IMO the best place is the small little row of Thai joints just on the Chao fa Rd past Khun Woodies as you are heading up to Phuket town on the left, they are before the little windie Soi that divides the too roads and ends up as the entrance to the big buddha road. They do all sorts of repairs and sewing and stuff.

There is a place in Phuket town that only specializes in backpack repairs, he's got all the threads, materials of over 400 manufacturers, all the plastic clip fixings in all colours and sizes, most important he travels to do repairs, up to 500 kilmetre's, a traveler in need is a traveler indeed, what was the name again, hold on it'll come to me, it's next to the specialized unicycle saddle repair shop, up from the resoling flip flop shop, across from the belt buckle cleaning shop, ah i can't remember but he does a fantastic trade, the amount of travelers sitting on the road side, head in hands, mumbling and a moaning, i can't go on i've a 1 cm split in my 40 years old hand me down from my granddad who died looking for the unicycle saddle repair shop, but ended up with a gleaming belt buckle, buried with perfect flip flops though, hopefully that helps.

PS, even in the UK if someone asked me this question about backpack repairs, i'd be thinking as i am now "you sad *******"

wish i could reach the trigger with my toe!!!!!!!!!

There is a place in Phuket town that only specializes in backpack repairs, he's got all the threads, materials of over 400 manufacturers, all the plastic clip fixings in all colours and sizes, most important he travels to do repairs, up to 500 kilmetre's, a traveler in need is a traveler indeed, what was the name again, hold on it'll come to me, it's next to the specialized unicycle saddle repair shop, up from the resoling flip flop shop, across from the belt buckle cleaning shop, ah i can't remember but he does a fantastic trade, the amount of travelers sitting on the road side, head in hands, mumbling and a moaning, i can't go on i've a 1 cm split in my 40 years old hand me down from my granddad who died looking for the unicycle saddle repair shop, but ended up with a gleaming belt buckle, buried with perfect flip flops though, hopefully that helps.

PS, even in the UK if someone asked me this question about backpack repairs, i'd be thinking as i am now "you sad *******"

The guy asked a legit question. I have fixed heaps of stuff at these sewing ladies. They did a fantastic job. It was cheap, I supported some local lady that probably needed the cash. Whats wrong with fixing stuff that is broken instead of throwing it away and wasting resources?

The guy asked a legit question. I have fixed heaps of stuff at these sewing ladies. They did a fantastic job. It was cheap, I supported some local lady that probably needed the cash. Whats wrong with fixing stuff that is broken instead of throwing it away and wasting resources?

i am the master of repairing and not buying new, today generation are a disposable, why can't i have a new one generation, i agree wheres the old days of getting it repaired, i suppose because the repair is more expensive then the new. your right it was a legit question and within my sarky replay was a hint of realism, common sense says the local sewing machine people or shoe repair guys, so irishlvan please answer my queries, a unicycle saddle repair shop, a belt buckle shining shop and a flip flop resoling shop, you may be sitting there snarling but indeed in the past i've had question to seek these services, there was magician show here and the clown needed his unicycle repaired, again related to a show, a Elvis look a like wanted a belt buckle made but finished in a chrome and diamond finish, i bought a pair of expensive flip flops here once and i caught the sole on my motor bike foot peg, ran around to get them repaired in the end had to get a 30 baht pair and glue that sole to the expensive ones to hold all the straps in place. all true, but imaging if i'd posted about flip flop repairs, TV members would be thinking he's nuts, but a service needed all the same

i am the master of repairing and not buying new, today generation are a disposable, why can't i have a new one generation, i agree wheres the old days of getting it repaired, i suppose because the repair is more expensive then the new. your right it was a legit question and within my sarky replay was a hint of realism, common sense says the local sewing machine people or shoe repair guys, so irishlvan please answer my queries, a unicycle saddle repair shop, a belt buckle shining shop and a flip flop resoling shop, you may be sitting there snarling but indeed in the past i've had question to seek these services, there was magician show here and the clown needed his unicycle repaired, again related to a show, a Elvis look a like wanted a belt buckle made but finished in a chrome and diamond finish, i bought a pair of expensive flip flops here once and i caught the sole on my motor bike foot peg, ran around to get them repaired in the end had to get a 30 baht pair and glue that sole to the expensive ones to hold all the straps in place. all true, but imaging if i'd posted about flip flop repairs, TV members would be thinking he's nuts, but a service needed all the same

So you know Bo Bo the clown? Nice bloke. Ill keep an eye out for the belt buckle repairs and the place to get flip flops repaired, but you could try the infamous Tam that runs the leather shop in the Phuket town weekend Naka Markets

So you know Bo Bo the clown? Nice bloke. Ill keep an eye out for the belt buckle repairs and the place to get flip flops repaired, but you could try the infamous Tam that runs the leather shop in the Phuket town weekend Naka Markets

It's Coco the clown, BoBo was the sex show clown, the belt buckle can be seen by Elvis at the holiday inn, beach road and the flip flop, well a thai is wearing them years later wai.gif
  • Like 1

I get my shorts altered by a Thai guy in a tin hut near the beginning of Soi Sai Yuan, just after the junction with Viset road:

His hut is on the extreme left of this picture, next to a convenience store. The traffic lights at Viset Road are in the distance, centre right.

Getting your shorts made smaller mate?

You are not eating enough curry.

Getting your shorts made smaller mate?

You are not eating enough curry.

Heh, heh! biggrin.png

No, getting them made shorter - I don't like them rubbing over my knees so I get them shortened just to the top of the knees. It's only a couple of inches, but as I've often been told, it makes a big difference! laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those members who posted serious suggestions.

To those members who had a joke about my question, no problem, it's all just friendly internet banter, but you did show your ignorance.

Some of the backpacks today are around the $600 mark and I didn't laugh at the young guy when he asked me if I knew anywhere that could do a decent repair for him. You might not think so, but some of these backpackers are carrying a fair bit of kit, between laptops, cameras, Ipads, Ipod, Iphone, backpack, light weight but heavy duty clothing for traveling etc it runs into thousand of dollars. How many members on TV would throw away a $600 item before making enquiries if it can be repaired?

I don't blame them for trying to repair the expensive gear they have before buying some cheap imitation in Thailand.

An example of prices can be seen in this link. This is a Macpac and it is a good brand.

http://www.macpac.co...s-aztec-85.html

Edited by KhunHeineken