Basic Nutrition In Chiang Mai

pingman

As for your claim that cereal is "highly processed garbage" I hope you're referring to Fruit Loops or Captain Krunch and not my sugarless mueslix cereal that I've been eating religiously every morning since I've landed in Thailand!

Well I am not exactly sure what you are eating because many different images popped up when I looked. But sugerless corn flakes, for example, is not healthy even though it isn't nearly as bad as fruit loops. Unprocessed oats are healthy, though. Could you link me to the specific product you're talking about? There seems to be a lot of different ones...

Just to jump in here I eat cereals from Blaine Washington. They are made from organic ingredients and shipped in 100% recycled paperboard and are packaged in envirobox's The product name is Nature's Path.

In my opinion they are good for me and they taste great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat cereals from Blaine Washington. They are made from organic ingredients and shipped in 100% recycled paperboard and are packaged in envirobox's The product name is Nature's Path.

I appreciate the advice. Yes, I am familiar with Nature's Path cereals. They're always prominently displayed on the shelves. However, it's almost twice as expensive as my non-organic Hahne muesli. Even the noteworthy Alpen muesli was on sale today at Rimping (2 boxes for the price of one), but again it's non-organic. To be honest, I'm not convinced the extra cost is worth it. I'm not too worried about pesticide residue in my cereal, as it's not produced in Thailand and I only eat a small amount every morning. But local fruits & veggies, I eat a lot, so I'm more concerned. When we'll get 60 baht per dollar, I'll reconsider my decision!

Just one thought I have: If organic food has to be shipped 8000 miles by burning fossil fuels, can we still claim that it's good for the planet? Just asking.

<p>

One of the reasons Thailand was so attractive to me was the food, both how good it tasted and was for me, but I'd like to add that one of the most popular, the balls in noodles soup, be they be pork, fish etc., are binded with borax which is quite dangerous to eat.

Sad if true. Source?

The Thai name for borax is น้ำประสานทอง, google Image search shows a bunch of meatballs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=DIHlUOm6I_GXiAf-84C4BA&biw=1366&bih=678&sei=DoHlUJ7ELoWtkgWZ2IHAAQ

• Like 2

MSG is not unhealthy. In double blind studies it was found that all of the people who claimed to have an adverse reaction to MSG couldn't actually tell the difference between the real thing and placebo. Several governments have run long term studies on the stuff over many decades now and it was found to be completely safe.

That is my take on it too. An extremely small number of people have an allergy to it, but other than that, the negative hype is overblown.

On the cereal front, I really like locally made Funky Monkey Granola (the label may say muesli) which is sweetened lightly with natural palm sugar that is very low on the glycemic index. I mix the granola half and half with raw rolled oats to bring the sugar down even futher and bring the total cost of the cereal down by 1/3 and add unsweetened yogurt. It tastes great and is full of natural nutrients and fiber.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I really like locally made Funky Monkey Granola (the label may say muesli) which is sweetened lightly with natural palm sugar that is very low on the glycemic index. I mix the granola half and half with raw rolled oats to bring the sugar down even futher and bring the total cost of the cereal down by 1/3 and add unsweetened yogurt. It tastes great and is full of natural nutrients and fiber.

Sounds like a great suggestion. I'll pick up a box on my next shopping trip. Thanks!

I eat cereals from Blaine Washington. They are made from organic ingredients and shipped in 100% recycled paperboard and are packaged in envirobox's The product name is Nature's Path.

I appreciate the advice. Yes, I am familiar with Nature's Path cereals. They're always prominently displayed on the shelves. However, it's almost twice as expensive as my non-organic Hahne muesli. Even the noteworthy Alpen muesli was on sale today at Rimping (2 boxes for the price of one), but again it's non-organic. To be honest, I'm not convinced the extra cost is worth it. I'm not too worried about pesticide residue in my cereal, as it's not produced in Thailand and I only eat a small amount every morning. But local fruits & veggies, I eat a lot, so I'm more concerned. When we'll get 60 baht per dollar, I'll reconsider my decision!

Just one thought I have: If organic food has to be shipped 8000 miles by burning fossil fuels, can we still claim that it's good for the planet? Just asking.

Cost is not the question and if I liked muesli I would consider it as Natures Path has that. For myself I just put bananas in it and get a source of potassium that way also. Not organically grown but chemical free if you peel them.

Don't know about fossil fuel how much does it take for a box of cereal?

Just a suggestion start a thread on what is good for the planet. It would be interesting.

I really like locally made Funky Monkey Granola (the label may say muesli) which is sweetened lightly with natural palm sugar that is very low on the glycemic index. I mix the granola half and half with raw rolled oats to bring the sugar down even futher and bring the total cost of the cereal down by 1/3 and add unsweetened yogurt. It tastes great and is full of natural nutrients and fiber.

Sounds like a great suggestion. I'll pick up a box on my next shopping trip. Thanks!

It comes in plastic bags and they sell in at Kasem's bakery, Baan Suan Pak Health Food store and ((sometimes) Rimping supermarkets. It is of import quality, but less expensive.

Not true. Hospital E.R. Rooms see patients on a daily basis suffering severe reactions to MSG. Doctors in both Thailand and America have told me this. It is unhealthy. I have had a couple of severe reactions to MSG in Thailand. I never eat the stuff and the g/f's entire family won't touch it either.

This simply does not add up with the main stream scientific conclusion. I would be quite happy if a Doctor told me that MSG was likely causing some ailment that I had - I would know to find a new doctor right away! I personally go with science over alternative medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

BTW sorry if I came off strongly on the cereal statement but I still stand by my belief that it really isn't a particularly healthy option. IE: I'd way rather have the bag of oats, or some eggs and ham, than some cereal for breakfast. I don't think the stuff will kill you or anything, and it is certainly way better than a pack of Oreos or somthing like pancakes.

Not true. Hospital E.R. Rooms see patients on a daily basis suffering severe reactions to MSG. Doctors in both Thailand and America have told me this. It is unhealthy. I have had a couple of severe reactions to MSG in Thailand. I never eat the stuff and the g/f's entire family won't touch it either.

This simply does not add up with the main stream scientific conclusion. I would be quite happy if a Doctor told me that MSG was likely causing some ailment that I had - I would know to find a new doctor right away! I personally go with science over alternative medicine.

http://en.wikipedia....odium_glutamate

BTW sorry if I came off strongly on the cereal statement but I still stand by my belief that it really isn't a particularly healthy option. IE: I'd way rather have the bag of oats, or some eggs and ham, than some cereal for breakfast. I don't think the stuff will kill you or anything, and it is certainly way better than a pack of Oreos or somthing like pancakes.

Ha lets not get to carried away here.

Nothing wrong with a stack of pancakes an egg on top covered with syrup and nice little pork sausages swimming around in the syrup.clap2.gif

http://en.wikipedia....odium_glutamate

Ha lets not get to carried away here.

Nothing wrong with a stack of pancakes an egg on top covered with syrup and nice little pork sausages swimming around in the syrup.clap2.gif

Do you have organic pancakes, eggs, and syrup shipped from Blaine Washington too?

The idea that msg is not bad for you is absurd. Absolutely mad. It's an excitotoxin. I know very well when i have eaten it. Firstly i'm not sufficiently in the habit of asking them not to use it, and then when i forget, and i've eaten it my heart is racing away at a fair rate of knots. How this can be considered of no harm is beyond me.

And doctors will know next to nothing about nutrition. They are simply untrained in the subject.

And doctors will know next to nothing about nutrition. They are simply untrained in the subject.

Scientists are the ones who have found that MSG is mostly innocuous and doctors read their research. Most people who think that they have reaction to it are simply imagining it because of the urban myth that it is harmful ( but a tiny minority of people do have an actual allergy to MSG).

Challenges in subjects who reported adverse reactions to MSG have included relatively few subjects and have failed to show significant reactions to MSG. Results of surveys and of clinical challenges with MSG in the general population reveal no evidence of untoward effects. We recently conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.

")
Edited by Ulysses G.

Scientists are the ones who have found that MSG is mostly innocuous and doctors read their research. Most people who think that they have reaction to it are simply imagining it because of the urban myth that it is harmful ( but a tiny minority of people do have an actual allergy to MSG).

Challenges in subjects who reported adverse reactions to MSG have included relatively few subjects and have failed to show significant reactions to MSG. Results of surveys and of clinical challenges with MSG in the general population reveal no evidence of untoward effects. We recently conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.

")

Unfortunately, most research on MSG is done by its manufacturers in independent labs. See the foot notes at the end of your article. The FDA itself consists of food industry reps and lobbyists who help keep MSG approved.

")

Unfortunately, most research on MSG is done by its manufacturers in independent labs. See the foot notes at the end of your article. The FDA itself consists of food industry reps and lobbyists who help keep MSG approved.

Where did you get this information? Which parts of FDA are you saying are reps and lobbyists? Are you referring to the Food Advisory Committee? Which of the members on the Food Advisory Committee are a rep or lobbyist?

MSPain

Roster of the Food Advisory Committee.pdf

Edited by hml367

Sorry, but I do not buy the silly dogma that the mainstream medical community is all involved in some big conspiracy to make us sick to increase their profits. IMO, the vast majority of medical doctors are sincere about trying to heal their patients and make the world a better place.

• Like 2

It all seems to be a futile argument. Some have studied many reports and claim it is harmful.

I often wonder how many reports they have read with as open a mind as the ones they read that said it is harmful, that say it is not harmful.

It is harmful to some people but that does not make it harmful to every one. I have no side effects from MSG so does that mean it is not harmful?

No it does not but to me it is not harmful for others it may be harmful. Who is really to say.

If one wants to believe they can find plenty of lit. to back it up. If one does not want to believe they can find plenty of lit. to back it up.

It is up to each individual to listen to their own body and act accordingly. To many people do not realize that we all have different metabolizing systems and can react differently to different foods.

And yes I realize their are things we all can take that will kill us.

It all seems to be a futile argument. Some have studied many reports and claim it is harmful.

I often wonder how many reports they have read with as open a mind as the ones they read that said it is harmful, that say it is not harmful.

It is harmful to some people but that does not make it harmful to every one. I have no side effects from MSG so does that mean it is not harmful?

No it does not but to me it is not harmful for others it may be harmful. Who is really to say.

If one wants to believe they can find plenty of lit. to back it up. If one does not want to believe they can find plenty of lit. to back it up.

It is up to each individual to listen to their own body and act accordingly. To many people do not realize that we all have different metabolizing systems and can react differently to different foods.

That you don't experience side effects from msg will not mean it doesn't harm you.

In my opinion, people who get bad reactions from msg are most likely better informed because they like to find out what it is what harm them.

Sorry, but I do not buy the silly dogma that the mainstream medical community is all involved in some big conspiracy to make us sick to increase their profits. IMO, the vast majority of medical doctors are sincere about trying to heal their patients and make the world a better place.

Sorry too, but if you read the article you linked to better, you can read who paid for this research and who are involved.

I give my son Spirulina (algae). I realise the wife is clueless and lazy when it comes to my sons diet so at least he is getting some nutrients this way. It has been the source of countless arguements between me and the wife. I like the OP are away for long periods. By the way when i am away the Spirulina stops.........."He no like"!!! is what she will usually say. When he takes it I will take it at the same time and we make a bit of a joke of it, I call it Schweppes. We both agree it tastes horrible.

I give my son Spirulina (algae). I realise the wife is clueless and lazy when it comes to my sons diet so at least he is getting some nutrients this way. It has been the source of countless arguements between me and the wife. I like the OP are away for long periods. By the way when i am away the Spirulina stops.........."He no like"!!! is what she will usually say. When he takes it I will take it at the same time and we make a bit of a joke of it, I call it Schweppes. We both agree it tastes horrible.

Spirulina is indeed very healthy - if it has grown in the right conditions. If it has grown in the wrong place, since is such an effective cleanser, it will load your body up with pollution and heavy metals instead. The same goes for many cleansing herbs, gotu kola is another one. Check your source carefully, or grow your own, so you don't end up with the opposite of your intent.

That you don't experience side effects from msg will not mean it doesn't harm you.

In my opinion, people who get bad reactions from msg are most likely better informed because they like to find out what it is what harm them.

Harming me would be a bad side effect. I don't get them.

Perhaps you can enlighten me what is wrong where am I suffering from the side effect.

I repeat my question how many reports saying there are no side effects to it have you read with the same open mind you had when you read the ones that say there is bad side effects.

My money says none. If you ever even looked at one you were probably saying BS all the way through.

Answer me this any one feel free to jump in. If all the stuff I read on this thread and disregarded it which is most of it. Why have I lived to be a reasonably healthy 71 years old?

If all the stuff I read on this thread and disregarded it which is most of it. Why have I lived to be a reasonably healthy 71 years old?

Nutrition is just one of many, many other factors that determine your lifespan.

I believe genetics is the key factor. Other factors that affect your lifespan include your physical environment, smoking, drinking, drug use, other medical conditions, weight, mental and emotional health, and whether you live above the 5th floor of any building in Pattaya.

Live long and prosper!

If all the stuff I read on this thread and disregarded it which is most of it. Why have I lived to be a reasonably healthy 71 years old?

I believe genetics is the key factor. Other factors that affect your lifespan include your physical environment, smoking, drinking, drug use, other medical conditions, weight, mental and emotional health, and whether you live above the 5th floor of any building in Pattaya.

Live long and prosper!

If I am not mistaken, Dolly has in the pst, mentioned some chronic medical conditions and needs daily medication, so who is to say?

Spirulina is indeed very healthy - if it has grown in the right conditions. If it has grown in the wrong place, since is such an effective cleanser, it will load your body up with pollution and heavy metals instead. The same goes for many cleansing herbs, gotu kola is another one. Check your source carefully, or grow your own, so you don't end up with the opposite of your intent.

I buy it in powder form in 1kg bags from a health store not far from the American Consulate. I have no idea where it is produced. Maybe I should check. Thanks for the heads up.

Live long and prosper!

On my fathers side no male has lived past 55 for 7 generations and I am over weight.

Speaking of over weight there was a article recently that people who are a little over weight tend to live longer I did not read the article but the title made me think of a big Juicie hamburger.

I buy it in powder form in 1kg bags from a health store not far from the American Consulate. I have no idea where it is produced. Maybe I should check. Thanks for the heads up.

Let us know if you have any luck finding out from that food store where it was produced. I was going to buy spirulina from that same store (near the US consulate) but the staff weren't too friendly and didn't seem to know where it was produced, other than that it was manufactured by a Japanese company, which didn't really answer my question ?!= sad.png