People Urged To Exercise Their Rights As Consumers

Jai Dee

People urged to exercise their rights as consumers.

Secretary-general of the Foundation for Consumers Sari Ong-som-wang (สารี อ๋องสมหวัง) called on the people to be more alert in helping check irregularities and exercising their rights, as they will impact society as a whole.

Ms. Sari said that the foundation has received around 660 complaints over the past year. She said that the number is still considered low, adding that consumers are believed to also launch their complaints at other agencies. She said that the number of complaints does not indicate the severity of the problems. Instead, she said it points to the people’s increased enthusiasm. She said that most complaints are concerned with debts, as state and private sectors release loans and set up regulations which exploit consumers.

Ms. Sari said that the foundation was able to mediate and demand compensation for consumers by 80%. However, she said that the foundation can only suggest ways to solve problems for people with debt-related problems, as the foundation cannot directly get involved. She said that consumers should be more alert in checking irregularities and use their rights, as exercising their own rights will affect the society as a whole, setting precedent for public rights protection in the future.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 Febuary 2006

Most shops don't care. The customers just keep walking in.

I also have my doubts about companies dumping in Thailand products that won't pass their quality check.

We just bought office furniture from Office Depot and right out of the box it was all scratched. We also got a GE clothes iron that spills hot water on your feet. Many other items I forget. Parts missing with this and that.

I don't buy much from the little shops, the warranty usually lasts til you hand over the money. The bigger places are getting better though, maybe they're finally realising that the customer does in fact have a choice as to where they buy from. Still, poor/shoddy service still rules the day, and will do for a long time to come.

They do not dump, they produce in Thailand and "sell" their names. All companies you have in good remembrance from your homecountry are BS in Thailand. For example: Siemens, Phillips, Panasonic, Haeffele, Mercedes, BMW and many more. "Made in Thailand" sucks!

They do not dump, they produce in Thailand and "sell" their names. All companies you have in good remembrance from your homecountry are BS in Thailand. For example: Siemens, Phillips, Panasonic, Haeffele, Mercedes, BMW and many more. "Made in Thailand" sucks!

had the wifes daughter come over last year and for xmas took her to halfords for a bike, she chose one, so the following week i went back and picked it up, all along the top it had MADE IN THALAND, to which i showed wife and thought that will be nice. :D

she said to me why did i buy it as every thing made in thailand is 'not good' :D

she used to work in a factory and they used to have mechanics fix the brand new machinery before it left the factory :o