Thai Man Charged With Murder Of British Holidaymaker

I have no idea what a "home made gun" looks like or how it works, assuming it shoots regular bullets Its seems highly unlikely that it's home made, perhaps home modified in the way that a sawn-off is home made.

It could be a smooth bored steel tube of the approximate size of the cartridge with some kind of firing mechanism. Easy to make especially if you have access to a lathe, though that's by no means essential. The problem with these weapons is the lack of rifling so unless your target is just a few feet away the bullet could go anywhere and tumble to boot causing horrific injuries if it hit someone.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to the Thai Police for catching him. Good Job!

My opinion also,they do a good job

I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate the BIB. As there was a report of a shoot-out they surely have to forensically match the bullet with the accused's gun. Doubt if that has been done yet.

Secondly, the BIB do have a record of pressurising scapegoats to admit to a crime. Methinks there is some way to go before real justice is done.

• Like 2

On an earlier thread a TVF poster claimed to have actually witnessed the event. I hope I get this right. He claimed that there was a one-on-one fight between two thai guys and the one getting the worst of it pulled a gun and fired at his adversary. Unfortunately missing, and hitting the young British chap.

I wish the member would come back on and repeat the story.

• Like 1

A post containing sweeping generalisations about Thai men has been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Tragic story all round, however the Thais really don't help themselves...

If this guy was caught in crossfire, how can it be murder?

And seriously, are those two guys either side of him really the police?

Buck your ideas up BiB, the whole world is following this!

Tragic story all round, however the Thais really don't help themselves...

If this guy was caught in crossfire, how can it be murder?

And seriously, are those two guys either side of him really the police?

Buck your ideas up BiB, the whole world is following this!

they are plaincloth, yes they do have them here, so should not look like police.

Edited by diks
  • Like 2

RIP Stephen Ashton.

As for the previous poster, I have no idea what he is on about.

"I have no idea what he is on about."

No matter how sad, deplorable or unfortunate an event, there always seems to be some bitter, unhappy member of the ThaiVisa fraternity sitting at his computer ready to make it even more sordid with his pointless, groundless hate mongering.

Especially sad that the victim was a young man with his whole life ahead of him.

I also have no idea what the previous poster was on about. I speculate that he believe that the story told by the man arrested was not true but as pointed out by another poster there were witnesses so if it's not the truth it'll come out in the UK papers. What are you upset about by the comment "I have no idea what he is on about?" Are you upset by that comment? I have no idea what you're on about - honestly.

With all due respect, but why would the truth come out in the UK papers? Do they have somebody on the ground in KP?

The red-top UK press never let the truth get in the way of a good story. They don't need somebody on the ground, they can concoct 'the true and shocking front-page story" back in the press room.

Koh Pha-ngan (Had Rin for most) and "Full Moon Parties" continue to have some kind of mythical status for many 20-something Western backpackers. They will continue to come in their hoards.

This is not the first senseless murder at these bashes and certainly won't be the last.

• Like 1

The arrested bloke will no doubt try to prove to the police and eventually to the courts that he had no intention at all to shoot the farang and that his dead was regrettably entirely accidental.

Should this be accepted by the courts then he will be charged with manslaughter not murder, as a result he will spend some years inside.

The occurrence of the killing is / was a terrible event, and my thoughts are with his family.

RIP Stephen Ashton.

No matter how sad, deplorable or unfortunate an event, there always seems to be some bitter, unhappy member of the ThaiVisa fraternity sitting at his computer ready to make it even more sordid with his pointless, groundless hate mongering.

Especially sad that the victim was a young man with his whole life ahead of him.

I also have no idea what the previous poster was on about. I speculate that he believe that the story told by the man arrested was not true but as pointed out by another poster there were witnesses so if it's not the truth it'll come out in the UK papers. What are you upset about by the comment "I have no idea what he is on about?" Are you upset by that comment? I have no idea what you're on about - honestly.

With all due respect, but why would the truth come out in the UK papers? Do they have somebody on the ground in KP?

The red-top UK press never let the truth get in the way of a good story. They don't need somebody on the ground, they can concoct 'the true and shocking front-page story" back in the press room.

this has just been on the BBC NEWS in the uk at 1pm and has said about gangs praying on young tourist in thailand and it was gangs who want to have the spoils of the young party goes and rob them drug them it turf war but he was just unlucky in the line fire BBC news then went on to say about the danger,s now of holidays in thailand after many incidents involving forieng tourist opps !

wont look good for buisness

and the thai guy been charged with manslaughter dont know the penalty for that depends on how much money he has

Edited by mickyboy

This story is also covered by the BBC.

Another nail in the coffin that contains the rotten corpse of the Thai tourist industry.

Things will only change when tragic events like this have a direct detriment on the numbers of tourists entering Thailand.

I do not wish the worst for this country, but in all good consciousness I would not recommend it as a destination to any of my family or friends!

Edited by PoorSucker
Font size set to default

RIP Stephen Ashton.

a british consul lives there

Stephen Ashton Thailand death: Arrest after British tourist shot

A man has been arrested after a 22-year-old British tourist was shot dead in Thailand on New Year's Eve.

Stephen Ashton was reportedly caught by a stray bullet during a fight between two groups at a bar on Koh Phangan.

Police on the island said officers had arrested a 26-year-old Thai man and confiscated a gun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...033#TWEET493234

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2013-01-02

This story is also covered by the BBC.

Another nail in the coffin that contains the rotten corpse of the Thai tourist industry.

Things will only change when tragic events like this have a direct detriment on the numbers of tourists entering Thailand.

I do not wish the worst for this country, but in all good consciousness I would not recommend it as a destination to any of my family or friends!

It is a great place for a holiday but it is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons according to the FCO.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

The Times, Independant and Guardian, who all covered this on their front pages, are red tops? That's news!

• Like 1

Dry that one out you can fertilize the lawn. Bullshit. And he thought of this himself or with a little help from the BIB - disgusting.

So your "all Thai's hate us" theory is derailed? Your sad delusion that this shooter deliberately targeted a young farang is disproved?

Just another cynical, hate-filled, ignorant and non-contributory post IMHO.

......and there is the main reason I contribute to this board so seldom; ignorant haters bring down the mood on almost EVERY thread with their cynical view of Thailand. I feel like saying "please go back to whatever crappy, gray country you come from and leave paradise to the people who enjoy it." And please don't post on this message board, your sourpuss mood ruins it for everyone else.

I have lived on Phangan for the last 6 high seasons, and while the parties at Haad Rin are way over-crowded and fights often do break out, for the most part they are safe and the tourists have a good time. You hear about a speed boat accident maybe once a year.....low considering there are dozens of them going back and forth from Samui for every big party....and this is only the second shooting I have EVER heard about; there was also one 2 months ago between 2 Thai's over a drug deal gone bad. Guns are rare on Phangan, even this guy had a home-made one, probably a zip gun style gadget like they used to make in prisons.

IMO the cops somehow caught this guy, and he's in huge trouble now; good for them. Not murder because it seemed accidental, but the guy will do 10 or 15 years because of the gun and taking someone's life; manslaughter at the very least. For those looking to be cynical and blaming the cops or hating Thai's in general, I am sure there is another thread somewhere about how bad bar girls are and how they steal your money, blah blah.....this thread is for mourning a young man and applauding the provincial police for a job well done.

Would not be surprised if he's a scapegoat and will never see court, let alone a cell , He's being used to protect the tourist trade, and will be paid well for his troubles.

Efficient Thai cops when a farang is concerned. You're joking!;

In the meantime, to prove how lovely how "lovely and safe' resorts here are,

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa....ked-by-gunfire/

Now Pattaya is a "resort"?

That sex-tourist hellhole is a resort? It's a dump of epic proportions, if shootings and murders happen there who would be surprised?

Send up a link to the last shooting on Koh Chang..... or Ko Samet, Koh Tao, even Samui, then you may have an argument.......stay away from Pattaya and Patong and Thailand is an amazingly safe place for a beach holiday considering the numbers of tourists they bring in.

Edited by Deaw

Andre0720 , You may be right . Many Country born Thais are brought up by grandparents , who often don't discipline , guide or teach the children how to behave .

The parents go to work in Bangkok and send money home .

This is a tragic case ; but young people are really very foolish to go to Koh Pangan ; the Island has little to offer and they are solely drawn by these beach parties , that in reality must be pretty disgusting . This is not the first incidence of tragedy there .

Caught in a crossfire....does this send any messages to potential

party goers? It should.....Stay Away.

Screw the perp...hope he gets a firing squad.

RIP Mr. Stephen Ashton & condolences to the family & friends

Edited by sunshine51

http://www.thaivisa....ked-by-gunfire/

Now Pattaya is a "resort"?

That sex-tourist hellhole is a resort? It's a dump of epic proportions, if shootings and murders happen there who would be surprised?

Send up a link to the last shooting on Koh Chang..... or Ko Samet, Koh Tao, even Samui, then you may have an argument.......stay away from Pattaya and Patong and Thailand is an amazingly safe place for a beach holiday considering the numbers of tourists they bring in.

And Thailand does not have a very high gun-death rate, everywhere. let alone the political killings and the deaths in the south?