Swimming In A Sesspit

stevef

been down to bang saray today could not believe the state of the beach and surrounding sea and area ,.my god people were acatually swimming in what can only be described as a human inspired sesspit the water and beach was awash with every kind of excriment organic man made and probarbley human and animal as well ,just need a few dead dogs or bodies to wash up and make the area complete welcome to beautifull thailand .How the people who visit thailand ever come back after seeing this is beyond me and the strange thing is the only person cleaning it up were farangs the locals just stand amongst this crap oblivious to the fact that they are ruining there childrens heritage but as i have said before they dont give a toss make money today screw the world tomorrow,its amazing you can go to florida spain greece or many other places were the beach vendors and the goverment actually take care of what is essentially there buissness and lively hood but here nothing oh yeah maybe once in a blue moon we will get the v.i.p people down for a photo shoot but that is all ,they want to attract tourists to what might as well take them to the local dump but it appears the beach and surrounding sea is the local dump so sad to see such a lack of caring bet if the area was covered in money or gold they would be there in vasts amounts picking that up but plastic /glass/polystyrene or any other thing is always someone elses problem

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i did notice though were many people stopping getting out of there cars taking one look and getting back in there cars and driving off maybe a sign of things to come they were just to disgusted about it to take there friends and family down there????.

We stayed in the Furama hotel in Jomtien a couple of weeks ago, overlooking the sea.

Every morning I could see an area about 100 metres out to sea, where some kind of effluent was quite clearly 'bubbling' to the surface, with a long, dark, slick trailing away in the direction of the tide. It hadn't rained for days.

I have read that 'grey' water is legally allowed to be drained into the sea but the smell coming from the storm drains along the pavement/sidewalk all along that Jomtien beach road leads me to believe it is far more than grey water.

No, we didn't go swimming in the sea :-)

Been to Bang Saray twice before Christmas. 1st time it was quite clean. Last time - December - it was definitely not clean. Ate at one of the restaurants along the beach for the 2nd time and this time you could smell the difference too.

Not a pleasant experience sick.gif

When I look at the filth, litter that is in Pattaya Bay or Jomtien, I have to remind myself this evidence that Thailand is a developing country--Just like countries in Africa. Many locals are not educated to take care of their litter along with city officials are not willing to provide the correct infrastructure (proper sewage; sewage treatment plants; fining industries or boats that pollute; providing simple things such as trash bins--chained to a tree of course.) Living in 5 different countries around the world, (Africa, Middle East, and Asia) I have discovered one cannot judge a country's development by its towering modern buildings and highways, but how the governments (and locals) take care of their environment along with progress. It is true, Thailand once had beautiful beaches but as development provided quick wealth for some, it also ruined what tourists were attracted to.

Edited by toenail

When I look at the filth, litter that is in Pattaya Bay or Jomtien, I have to remind myself this evidence that Thailand is a developing country--Just like countries in Africa. Many locals are not educated to take care of their litter along with city officials are not willing to provide the correct infrastructure (proper sewage; sewage treatment plants; fining industries or boats that pollute; providing simple things such as trash bins--chained to a tree of course.) Living in 5 different countries around the world, (Africa, Middle East, and Asia) I have discovered one cannot judge a country's development by its towering modern buildings and highways, but how the governments (and locals) take care of their environment along with progress. It is true, Thailand once had beautiful beaches but as development provided quick wealth for some, it also ruined what tourists were attracted to.

Anyone with a passing knowledge of economics knows that concern for the environment, in all it forms, I.e., clean water, air, proper garbage and sewage disposal, etc., is a "luxury" good. Hence, it is only when a society achieves a certain level of material comfort that these issues even start to come to the fore. Thailand, with a GDP per person of around US$ 6k, is still a quite poor and very much a developing country, which has a long way to go before any serious environmental movement begins to stir.

It pretty silly for tourists and expats to constantly harp othe state of the environment, I can still remember what it was like in the USA only a few decades ago.

• Like 1

How dare you make fun of Thailand

I'll do what I like, thanks.

Love it or Leave it.

I dont have to do either. The bits of Thailand that I like are satisfactory enough, though there is much room for improvement in most things and I'm certainly not in love with the country. The bits I dont like generally dont bother me unduly. The dirty beach is a good example. Having seen all the crap I just drove to another cleaner beach for my morning walk and wondered about the morons-in-charge who would allow this to happen, and the morons-on-the-spot who dont even seem to notice it.

I never swim in salt water anywhere no matter how dirty or clean it is; I just dont like it. I do like to look at a clean beach though.

You must be a trouble maker.

More than likely.

• Like 1

There is some kind of sewage pipe, that is out from one of the boat ramps. Sometimes its bubbling, sometimes not.

I remember once reading, that statues will never be built, honoring a person that built a good sewage system, Guess this government read the same thing! At least the artwork on Sukhumvit looks nice! Of course even that will all be torn out to build the underpass.

I have read the posts in this thread and at least a similar one recently about observations of 'trashed out' beaches and seas in the Pattaya area... I'm not an eye witness yet, but from the content of the posts, this series of eyesores evidently is quite extensive. Since no one else is taking the initiative to expand and enhance the local clean up effort, I suggest it would be great idea if some civic minded Thai and Farang folks teamed up to get the local residents and business in that area involved with this 'cooperative' program mentioned in the following link - in an effort to help clean up the beaches which in turn will help the sea...

I've been a recycler for years. While I'm not a tree huger nor am I 'all warm and fuzzy' about this concept ... I just think it makes good sense economically, environmentally and otherwise. While no setup would be easy nor system perfect - recycling can be a 'win-win' situation as is shown in the referenced article. If some 'guiding hand' puts an effort into getting recycling going and keeping it going in their area... the net result - people will earn a few baht, or trade for food and the beaches and streets will be cleaner. It doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that. The concept just needs to be spread to where it is needed. Yes - in the case of Pattaya the resort owners, the local government, the retail shops, the clubs, the condo and apartment owners and investors,etc. could get off the hook for their responsibility for cleanup and maintenance - BUT they could be roped into being a part of this recycling activity with a little effort.

I have another related suggestion. As some of you may be aware, in the U.S. we have volunteer clean up programs called "Adopt a Street, Highway, Nature Trail, Bike Path, Beach, etc." Adoptive Groups and Clubs that do this sort of thing range from the Boy and Girl Scout Troops, Motorcycle Clubs, Civic Groups like the Rotary Club, Soccer Leagues, local schools, etc. ... the list is endless. The "Adopt a Site" participants know that the city, county and state collect taxes that should pay for maintenance and that they are responsible - But the Groups and Clubs do the cleanup anyway. Usually a prominent sign is erected proclaiming that "Adopt a Beach" is being performed by "Farangs United" or some other heartfelt group smile.png. This way the clean up gets done with periodic outings sometimes done with a bit of flare and festivities. The volunteer crews often wear custom day glow safety vest with the group's name and matching caps. By setting the example, this effort sometimes results in the local residents, merchants and even the government maintenance offices getting into the act.

Some good PR to be had here for some deserving group I would think...

I have read the posts in this thread and at least a similar one recently about observations of 'trashed out' beaches and seas in the Pattaya area... I'm not an eye witness yet, but from the content of the posts, this series of eyesores evidently is quite extensive. Since no one else is taking the initiative to expand and enhance the local clean up effort, I suggest it would be great idea if some civic minded Thai and Farang folks teamed up to get the local residents and business in that area involved with this 'cooperative' program mentioned in the following link - in an effort to help clean up the beaches which in turn will help the sea...

http://www.thaivisa....sh-to-treasure/

I've been a recycler for years. While I'm not a tree huger nor am I 'all warm and fuzzy' about this concept ... I just think it makes good sense economically, environmentally and otherwise. While no setup would be easy nor system perfect - recycling can be a 'win-win' situation as is shown in the referenced article. If some 'guiding hand' puts an effort into getting recycling going and keeping it going in their area... the net result - people will earn a few baht, or trade for food and the beaches and streets will be cleaner. It doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that. The concept just needs to be spread to where it is needed. Yes - in the case of Pattaya the resort owners, the local government, the retail shops, the clubs, the condo and apartment owners and investors,etc. could get off the hook for their responsibility for cleanup and maintenance - BUT they could be roped into being a part of this recycling activity with a little effort.

I have another related suggestion. As some of you may be aware, in the U.S. we have volunteer clean up programs called "Adopt a Street, Highway, Nature Trail, Bike Path, Beach, etc." Adoptive Groups and Clubs that do this sort of thing range from the Boy and Girl Scout Troops, Motorcycle Clubs, Civic Groups like the Rotary Club, Soccer Leagues, local schools, etc. ... the list is endless. The "Adopt a Site" participants know that the city, county and state collect taxes that should pay for maintenance and that they are responsible - But the Groups and Clubs do the cleanup anyway. Usually a prominent sign is erected proclaiming that "Adopt a Beach" is being performed by "Farangs United" or some other heartfelt group smile.png. This way the clean up gets done with periodic outings sometimes done with a bit of flare and festivities. The volunteer crews often wear custom day glow safety vest with the group's name and matching caps. By setting the example, this effort sometimes results in the local residents, merchants and even the government maintenance offices getting into the act.

cheesy.giflaugh.pngcheesy.gif

i will never go in the sea around here

unless i fancy a few weeks of work with a bad stomach complaint

I swim in the sea off Pattaya 3,4 sometimes 5 times a day - right at the bottom of Pattaya Klang.

Its lovely, and at this time of year the sea temperature is spot-on. Nothing to worry about, in several years I've never had a stomach infection, skin rash, ear or eye infection.

Reminds me a swimming in the N Sea when I was a kid:

post-47990-0-79114800-1357169870_thumb.j

Edited by londoedan

All good, but you need to educate yourself on the constraints applied by the Thai authorities for organised volunteer groups. e.g. a foreigner requires a work permit even when supplying labour for free.

Edited by simple1

All good, but you need to educate yourself on the constraints applied by the Thai authorities for organised volunteer groups. e.g. a foreigner requires a work permit even when supplying labour for free.

Thanks for the comment... Yes - I have read of this requirement when researching Visa requirements and Work Permits. But it didn't seem insurmountable especially if there were to be Thai nationals or even Thai owned businesses involved in sponsorship of such a project or set of projects.. Perhaps something of this nature will be attempted someday ...

I swim in the sea off Pattaya 3,4 sometimes 5 times a day - right at the bottom of Pattaya Klang.

Its lovely, and at this time of year the sea temperature is spot-on. Nothing to worry about, in several years I've never had a stomach infection, skin rash, ear or eye infection.

Nothing to worry about? Keep in mind that the current of the sea comes from Cambodia along the Thai shores towards the "nose" at Jomtien / Pattaya north to Bangkok. All the pollution of Map Ta Put / Rayong swirl around this "nose" and hit the beaches there. Nothing to worry about? I only go for a swim East of Rayong for my kids and family's health....

Nothing to worry about.... Can't believe it

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

I stopped reading the original post after the third spelling mistake.

A post loses,I think, a certain amount of credibility

when it is littered with an alarming number of misspelled words.

Mind you, it looked as tho the poster was about to dump on Thailand or parts of it,

so I'm thinking I didn't miss much.

was not trying to dump on thailand they manage to do that very well themselves was just stating that in most other countries third world or not people who earn a living from beach areas tend to have a vested intrest in keeping such areas free of garbage and as far as getting thai buissness interested in cleaning up areas open your eyes and take a look unless there is a profit you have little or no chance of them doing anything maybe were not all such great spellers as yourself but also maybe were not as blind as to what is becoming a ever increasing problem .

So right I swim in Pattaya every chance I get

i enjoy living here to and it really hurts to see it going on a down hill slide thats the reason for the posting hoping people will stop turning a blind eye before it gets beyond repair as it is getting worse year by year unfortunately.

i enjoy living here to and it really hurts to see it going on a down hill slide thats the reason for the posting hoping people will stop turning a blind eye before it gets beyond repair as it is getting worse year by year unfortunately.

Fair enough - but I would say that the sea off Pattaya / Jomtien / Bang Saray is a long, long way from being "a cess-pit".

What surprises me is that Pattaya City don't have a permanent "gang" of workers doing nothing but clearing the beaches. It would only cost peanuts and would be a major improvement to the town. Especially compared to the money they waste on other useless projects.

• Like 2