Swimming In A Sesspit

stevef

I heard that the City actually collects garbage then takes it out and dumps it in the ocean. Is this actually true?

If it is it would explain why so much plastic crap washes up on nearby beaches like Bang Saray. Pretty shameful thing to do though. Landfill and recycling doesnt cost that much, and God knows there's enough unused land around.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most countries visiting ships are required to use Garbage Scows to off load their solid waste and not dispose of liquid sewage waste close to shore. And it is usually enforced by their Coast Guards with heavy fines for non compliance. But obviously this doesn't seem to be the case in off shore Thailand. There are a number of industries utilizing recycled plastic. One very successful one is using waste plastic (mostly plastic bags) to shred and combine with sawdust plus various epoxies - heated then extruded in to Deck Lumber that last about 30 years .... great stuff it is.. This extruded decking and fencing is sold at places like Home Depot and Lowes.. It would be great for tropical Thailand - no rot, very insect repellent and low maintenance. Other recycled plastic products are livestock watering tubs and troughs, planters for tree saplings at nurseries, French drain guttering / pipe. The list is a long one ... the raw materials are right on the beach and a few hundred meters off shore... not to mention a lot of other places in Thailand. When rubbish is sorted for recyclable material - the residue can be composted and turned into soil. The cardboard and paper is used in a number of places as fuel for power generation using a gasification process whereby the smoke gases are recycled - then reburned to use up all available energy and greatly reduce air pollutants. These ideas are not pie in the sky - they are being done now in numerous places around the world.

• Like 2

I stopped reading the original post after the third spelling mistake.

A post loses,I think, a certain amount of credibility

when it is littered with an alarming number of misspelled words.

Mind you, it looked as tho the poster was about to dump on Thailand or parts of it,

so I'm thinking I didn't miss much.

Some excellent punctuation and spelling here as well.

In most countries visiting ships are required to use Garbage Scows to off load their solid waste and not dispose of liquid sewage waste close to shore. And it is usually enforced by their Coast Guards with heavy fines for non compliance. But obviously this doesn't seem to be the case in off shore Thailand. There are a number of industries utilizing recycled plastic. One very successful one is using waste plastic (mostly plastic bags) to shred and combine with sawdust plus various epoxies - heated then extruded in to Deck Lumber that last about 30 years .... great stuff it is.. This extruded decking and fencing is sold at places like Home Depot and Lowes.. It would be great for tropical Thailand - no rot, very insect repellent and low maintenance. Other recycled plastic products are livestock watering tubs and troughs, planters for tree saplings at nurseries, French drain guttering / pipe. The list is a long one ... the raw materials are right on the beach and a few hundred meters off shore... not to mention a lot of other places in Thailand. When rubbish is sorted for recyclable material - the residue can be composted and turned into soil. The cardboard and paper is used in a number of places as fuel for power generation using a gasification process whereby the smoke gases are recycled - then reburned to use up all available energy and greatly reduce air pollutants. These ideas are not pie in the sky - they are being done now in numerous places around the world.

This is an example of an excellent post! THANKS! :)

back home (UK) beaches are tested for water quality and I've seen pristine looking beaches fail the water test and been closed for a season, can you imagine the same type of testing quality control going on here, does anyone think that beaches from Bangkok to Rayong would be fit for swimming - I very much doubt it, and for (as some say here) such a modern country as Thailand that relies on tourism - why are they not testing water quality ? but on the other hand even if they were could you honestly expect them to be trusted ?

Like I said earlier, after being here for nearly nine years I'd have expected progress and improvement and I see the opposite, there are no signs that it's going to get better so I can only assume it will continue to get worse.

PDC test the water quality of a number of beaches in Thailand twice a year, wet season and dry season. The numbers for 2011 were just published, December 2012. The tests are quite comprehensive and include bacteria levels.

In the Chonburi area Koh Larn and Koh Srichang was rated good (index 80-90). All beaches in Pattaya, north, south and Jomtien was rated fair (index 50-80). Naklua market was rated as deteriorated (index (25-50).

Complete report can be downloaded from www.pdc.go.th

post-7221-0-72761900-1357362320_thumb.gi

I have seen the rubbish at Bang Saray for myself the last few days....it extends out about 200 mtrs from the shore.

I was at Nacklua today at a large sea food establishment right on the shore...3 Thai guys were feebly picking up the trash at the front but the smell of sh*t wafting in off the brown sea was pretty foul. I stayed but a few minutes.

If you drive along the main highway through Pattaya town...there is virtually no rubbish ? Go down the side Sois and most are like land fill sites.

Yes it is true that Pattaya's rubbish is loaded on barges and dumped at sea...exaclty the same way it was done in the States and most of Europe until we realised we were not just killing fish but ourselves. Anyone remember the Japs back in the 60's and 70's dumping all manner of toxic crap in the sea and producing brain dmamaged and deformed kids ? National Geographic had the pictures.

Thailand could be heading the same way. Not just in their seas but also the rivers and on the land.

Do they care? Well ask the parents of the Thai kids that let them play amongst the rubbish on Bang Saray beach...I saw dozens. They care not a jot.

Every day now I debate why I should stay here any longer. 7 years and counting. My desire is wearing thin and mostly due to the sickening mess, squalor, rising crime and ever rising concrete jungle that adds to more garbage.

Edited by lonewolf99

• photo-thumb-14272.jpg?_r=0
  • Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 2013-01-03 08:54:09

whistling.gif Yes, and I don't mean to be rude to the original poster but ......

there is this thing called punctuation and you know without punctuation it becomes very hard to read the post clearly and it ruins the effect of the point you want to make if you simply ramble on without stopping or starting some place which is what punctuation is supposed to used for isn't it.

So, please, next time use some punctuation in your sentences.

Thank you.

R U 4 reel, as lnog as u can raed it waht does it matter ? the pinont is pataya needs to get its act tothger

• photo-thumb-14272.jpg?_r=0
  • Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 2013-01-03 08:54:09

whistling.gif Yes, and I don't mean to be rude to the original poster but ......

there is this thing called punctuation and you know without punctuation it becomes very hard to read the post clearly and it ruins the effect of the point you want to make if you simply ramble on without stopping or starting some place which is what punctuation is supposed to used for isn't it.

So, please, next time use some punctuation in your sentences.

Thank you.

R U 4 reel, as lnog as u can raed it waht does it matter ? the pinont is pataya needs to get its act tothger

have to agree with you, although the person on the recieving end of this post was called up for being very rude in a reply - I can understand exactly where he was coming from - everybody understood exactly what was being said - there really is no room for smart asses on TV being critical of spelling or anything else, a lot of times I post here and don't even bother reading over it and quite often I've had a few beers, most people understand what i'm saying - sometimes I read it next day and cringe

I was thinking the same thing. I remember beaches in the USA as far back as the earlys and none were anything like what I am seeing in Thailand now. Yes, there were isolated instances (chemicals dumped in a river, etc.), but in the USA the beaches have, in general, been far cleaner than in Thailand. Let me point out that what we can see, while terrible for tourism, if often far less destructive, in terms of health, than what we cannot see (chemicals and assorted micro-waste materials). I am often mystified at Thai mentality. The apparently have no moral obligation to future generations. I am also mystified at tourists who come here, see the reality of the place, and return to swim in the filth (what are they thinking?.......question assumes "thinking").

Was that in the early earlies or in the late earlies ?

I usually go to Bang Saray for a day at the beach but even the rubbish floating the water there is unbearable! Condoms, Plastics of all sizes. It has to be the drainage system unable to cope. It won't be fixed because I see many in the water not giving a rats where as I do!

All those ships at Laemchabang are dumping their trash overboard as well.

In European waters ships are required to have holding tanks for sewage if they don't have a sewage treatment plant fitted, and many ships incinerate their trash. Not an ideal solution but better than throwing it into the ocean as we used to do. I guess it will take time for these regulations to filter through to this part of the world.

We went down beach road today and sat there for a while. Hardly any litter at all on the beach or in the water. That water looked so clean and refreshing - not that I'd be tempted to swim in it. But a far cry from the rubbish we saw recently. Maybe a lot was down to New years Eve ?

In European waters ships are required to have holding tanks for sewage if they don't have a sewage treatment plant fitted, and many ships incinerate their trash. Not an ideal solution but better than throwing it into the ocean as we used to do. I guess it will take time for these regulations to filter through to this part of the world.

The MARPOL laws are global, not just European. Unfortunately, there's always badly managed vessels that will dump stuff regardless and not just third-world boats in third-world waters either.

It is not so much about crap on the beach but real crap in the water. Tides and currents can change, especially at this time of year and normally pristine beaches will see all sorts of debris washed up only to see it washed away a few days later. But the sewage effluent that the OP is reporting along with those rather alarming photographs taken from high-rises on Jomtien indicate a much more serious issue. I would suspect that an ageing sewage outflow has broken under pressure or maybe a boat anchor has damaged it as this brown plume in the water so near to shore would have been an issue a long time ago.

Edited by NanLaew

The MARPOL laws are global, not just European. Unfortunately, there's always badly managed vessels that will dump stuff regardless and not just third-world boats in third-world waters either.

MARPOL may be global and prohibit the dumping of ANY plastic ANYWARE at sea. 97.18% of the world fleet hava signed this agrement. This is pretty much all countries in the world, except, you guessed it THAILAND, as they don't seem to care.

MARPOL covers:

• Annex I - Oil
  • Annex II - Noxious Liquid Substances carried in Bulk
  • Annex III - Harmful Substances carried in Packaged Form
  • Annex IV - Sewage
  • Annex V - Garbage
  • Annex VI - Air Pollution

Thailand have signed MARPOL but have opted out of Annex III, IV and V