Gprs Vs Edge

crabstix

I am currently using Dtac network (post paid) and I use GPRS and bluetooth to conect to my sony ericsson k700i phone to surf the net and download news to my pda (palm zire 72). Surfing is fairly slow. I was wondering, would changing to a EDGE capable phone speed things up significantly?

Also which phones support EDGE?

If it is significantly faster I will consider buying a new phone

EDGE is generally 2-4 times faster. It's *not* blindingly fast, but it is better. It's more like slow (EDGE) vs excruciating (GPRS).

Nokia 6230/6230i have EDGE, I am sure there are a lot more but I haven't looked recently. Try the Nokia website.

Thanks for superfast reply!

Oh I forgot to tell you that I am in Chiang Rai. Would that affect the speed?

Also do only nokias have EDGE or do other brands have it too?

The good news is that EDGE is better than GPRS.

The bad news is that if you don't live in Bangkok or other major cities you can't get EDGE.

It will make its way out to the provinces at some time and perhaps out to the villages when DTAC goes 3G but that is a big program for them to re equip all their base stations and will take a long time.

Do you know what the going price for a v360 is? Also, it is listed on websites as supporting the 236k EDGE speed... does anyone know whether these faster modes are achieved on the DTAC EDGE network when you buy these types of phones (versus the slower 177k EDGE phones)? I have also seen contradictory information about the upcoming Motorola L2 as to whether it has EDGE support or not... the L6 does not, and the L7 is apparently being sold without it but it may gain this feature in a revision later in the year. Very confusing!

Also, does anyone have experience/knowledge of how fast DTAC is expanding their EDGE service? We were told at a DTAC service center that we are just a bit north of where coverage stops in Nonthaburi and that it would be expanding "this year". I am wondering how much I should believe this... the timing only affects the excuses I make for myself to justify a new phone. :o We have no hard date for when ADSL will be available, so I am imagining many months on GPRS, just as I had before getting ADSL at our previous location.

For phone prices, www.nasaphone.com is a good indicator, the v360 is about 7000B. Don't know what EDGE mode DTAC supports, but I'd think it isn't the fastest class (since that's only supported by a few phones, anyway)

None of the slim Moto phones have EDGE, due to a shortage of EDGE radio chips they're experiencing...the L7 and V3x are supposed to later have this, but if you want to buy a phone now, it's a no-go.

As for network expansion, God-only knows...what you could do is get something like the Nokia 6630, which although chunkier, has both EDGE and 3G support...so it would be future-proof (though not for video-calls) and also offer you EDGE if it's rolled out quickly.

What do you mean by "EDGE content"? Streaming audio or video? You can get that on your smartphone by just using it to connect to the Internet, I don't see how it would help if DTAC themselves provided such a service...in other countries, where there's interesting local sports or news, it would be nice, but here they could only cater to the Thai market, which I think is not developed enough to want to pay for such services.

That's more or less what I mean. Surfing the Internet is not convenient on small screen phones (and also there are computers for that) and Thai content is limited to downloading ringtones and screensavers. No streaming audio or video to speak of, last time I checked Dtac's web/wap portal. Or you can listen to Internet radio on your phone but why would you?

As for wireless Internet access for people with laptops - the market is limited. They are testing some other service, forgot the name, that covers area of about 40 km from the tower and offers Wi-Fi speeds. That would be nice for places too far from exchanges for ADSL, like where I live, but I don't hold my breath. Thais are extremely slow on technology uptake.

one other thing to consider is that the edge service is already somewhat obsolete, as they have new software upgrade for it and it's called HSPDA. and the HSPDA is good for some very quick connection speeds, on par with broadband, up to 1.8mbps. so you can buy an edge phone or aircard, but you would might be better waiting for the HSPDA, which is already available in other countries.

I can imagine getting an EDGE phone in anticipation, and a quad-band to improve my roaming capabilities abroad. But, I think it is overkill to get 3G before I have any place to use it. Most likely, I'd be ready to replace the phone again before 3G actually becomes useful. :D I am looking for a small voice-capable phone that can serve backup duty as an Internet connection for my laptop. I might try the phone-based browser or email client, but chances are I would find the interface unacceptable and give up.

My current phone is an aging Motorola v66 and is my benchmark for "small enough." I wish they would go further, but sadly, almost all the newer phones seem like gigantic lead weights in comparison. I would consider one of the L2/L6/L7 phones a reasonable substitute if they didn't drop the EDGE feature. :o

May be it's absurd but i suggest it anyway, could it be possible in Bangkok subscribe an high speed EDGE (DTAC 3+3 Mbps) (the right spot in your friend house) and move it outside Bangkok with a phone line (like an FTP) or a serie of WLANs (with restrinctions to avoid free users) for a private use (or a little shared one)? :o

How far a single WLAN can arrive? meters? kmeters? :D

If the path is not obstructed too much and you have good antennas, you could get 100-200m or so from a WiFi access point, but what you're suggesting would have insane costs and maintenance issues :o

For who lives out in the sticks, IPSTAR satellite access seems like the best option to me...alternatively, HUTCH does offer 153kbps, but I think their coverage is on par with DTAC's EDGE, which is to say, not too good outside Bangkok.

For who lives out in the sticks, IPSTAR satellite access seems like the best option to me...alternatively, HUTCH does offer 153kbps, but I think their coverage is on par with DTAC's EDGE, which is to say, not too good outside Bangkok.

Is it possible to use on a single laptop 2 (or more) standard GPRS to increase the kbps rates (i have 2 PCMCIA)?

My firm coder says no! :o

More than a single gateway at the end on the same laptop. :D

Well, first of all, the 15.000 spent on 2 PCMCIA cards could be better used elsewhere :o You could theoretically bridge the connections, but as far as I know, Windows and IE by default are not meant to use 2 connections simultaneously as one.

I've never bought one and I can't remember seeing any in Pantip etc (though I haven't really looked) so I don't really know of any shops. Keywords 'wifi' and 'antenna' will give you a lot of pages (including on how to make your own from junk). For good performance better buy a proper one though.

For a serious book on wireless LAN that covers antenna design (and wireless security) in detail I recommend buying a copy of the book WIFOO: The secrets of wireless hacking. It is quite technical but since you're interested in security I think you might like it.