Getting Caught Short...............

eyecatcher

As an occasional afternoon drinker here,burp.gif it is very worthwhile knowing where you can find somewhere at short notice to "syphon the python." goof.gif As a rule I dive into a temple; with about 40 temples inside the moat area there’s usually not a problem.

However today I was out of my comfort zone with an errand to run to Rimping supermarket.

Could I hold it until Rimping or should I take the next pit stop which was at Wat Gate.?

I can say now, in hindsight stopping at the temple was the wrong decision.

Toilets found; satisfaction ultimately guaranteed,smile.png but on the way out I noticed a few stray temple dogs; not too far away but minding their own business. I wasn’t concerned and walked back to the bike. Then I felt a bite on the back of my calf. w00t.gif I turned around, shouted and attempted a “conversion” (Im talking rugby, not religion here) with the mutt but it was away already.

I had 3 puncture wounds, each were bleeding and I was genuinely worried.crying.gif

I last had a tetanus injection 35yr ago and as for rabies…well; who has had one??? It’s a myth to Westerners.

One hour later I am in hospital being advised to have 2 injections, tetanus and rabies and to come back 4 further visits for rabies antibiotic injections over the next 2/3 weeks; together with a bag full of Tylenol and amoxicillin. The cost…well it was an expensive piss for sure at 1500bt and not too sure if this is all inclusive or if I have to pay again for the 4 subsequent trips. But a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Not sure I could have done much at the temple other than be a bit more vigilant even when the dogs appeared harmless. Ironically I go hiking quite often; tooled up and always carry a long stick, long machete and some stones and never had a problem.beatdeadhorse.gif

Well I suppose if I am going to die from rabies I have sufficient time to decide who I want to bite.

Incidently:preceding the writing of this post no physical harm was actually inflicted on any dog of the 4 legged kind, though I did try.

eyecatcher, I have great sympathy for you. It's bad luck, just like I hit the extended driveway the other day when I decided to take the small roads to go home. For me, it's financial which I could and did clear. For you, please don't take lightly of a dog bite! Hope all will get well, but do folow up!

• Like 1

Temple dogs, Soi dogs and farm dogs.

Recently while looking for mushroom farmers I parked the car about 200 meters away from where the produce was. Realizing how far I had to carry I decided to move the car nearer.

On my way back to the car the alpha came out. Ears back, tail out and with nuts like small pineapples.

No problem. Just like any other dog. Show him who is master and that's it.

Yeah right.

Out came his mates, just as angry as the alpha.

With my bravado quickly diminishing and fumbling 3 set of keys I made it back inside the car.

I have always tried and succeeded in making soi dogs my friends but this time I felt like a 5 year old being chased by wolves.

P.S. Hope the bite heals soon..

When you suspect that you might run into one of these dogs, I suggest putting a small sling shot in your rear pant pocket. Keep a few Hex Nuts handy - about 1 cm / -- 1/2 inch diameter or so. The sling shot can be quickly brought to bear. When you hit the dog with the hex nut is will yelp big time. If the dog is not hit - the hex nut hollow center makes a whistling sound that only dogs hear as it goes by... This seens to spook dogs quite a bit.. I have had much experience doing this while exercise walking. I noticed to my amusement that after just two shots at a dog on a regular route ... the mere sight of me caused the dog to run behind a house... or especially if I raised my arms as if to shoot a sling shot - the dogs would run like hell. smile.png Or there is always pepper spray.

Edited by JDGRUEN

When you suspect that you might run into one of these dogs, I suggest putting a small sling shot in your rear pant pocket. Keep a few Hex Nuts handy - about 1 cm / -- 1/2 inch diameter or so. The sling shot can be quickly brought to bear. When you hit the dog with the hex nut is will yelp big time. If the dog is not hit - the hex nut hollow center makes a whistling sound that only dogs hear as it goes by... This seens to spook dogs quite a bit.. I have had much experience doing this while exercise walking. I noticed to my amusement that after just two shots at a dog on a regular route ... the mere sight of me caused the dog to run behind a house... or especially if I raised my arms as if to shoot a sling shot - the dogs would run like hell. smile.png Or there is always pepper spray.

....as an added advantage, if the dog bites your nuts, it's going to need a dentist whistling.gif

In July, my gf's sister's poodle decided to snap at my arm..... Fortunately for me, the mutt barely managed to break the skin: it had been continually innoculated, and so far I have had no ill effects. Unfortunately for the mutt, it decided to lie down and snarl at me a bit more. Smug little sh*t learned to fly, courtesy of my right foot.

I hope the OP is OK and that all the hospital visits have staved off any chance of infection.

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 2

Never loose eye contact with them. You allowed yourself to be caught off guard. Good lesson.

Worse......he forgot they were Thai dogs.....Money Number 1 and all that.

I bet the monks have them well trained, they must get fed up with stray farangs using their toilet facilities and not paying.

Shocking behaviour eyecatcher......I'm telling you. dry.png

Isn't it considered offensive for a person to enter the temple grounds after consuming alcohol? Perhaps this was just your karma coming back to "bite" you.

-Mestizo

hey yes, I was going to add the karma aspect in my thread, not leaving tambon etc....its all a load of <deleted> until something happens and it makes you a little less cynical...........next thread on its way.....after discussing this superstition rubbish.

As an occasional afternoon drinker here, it is very worthwhile knowing where you can find somewhere at short notice to "syphon the python." As a rule I dive into a temple; with about 40 temples inside the moat area there’s usually not a problem.

However today I was out of my comfort zone with an errand to run to Rimping supermarket.

Could I hold it until Rimping or should I take the next pit stop which was at Wat Gate.?

I can say now, in hindsight stopping at the temple was the wrong decision.

Toilets found; satisfaction ultimately guaranteed, but on the way out I noticed a few stray temple dogs; not too far away but minding their own business. I wasn’t concerned and walked back to the bike. Then I felt a bite on the back of my calf. I turned around, shouted and attempted a “conversion” (Im talking rugby, not religion here) with the mutt but it was away already.

I had 3 puncture wounds, each were bleeding and I was genuinely worried.

I last had a tetanus injection 35yr ago and as for rabies…well; who has had one??? It’s a myth to Westerners.

One hour later I am in hospital being advised to have 2 injections, tetanus and rabies and to come back 4 further visits for rabies antibiotic injections over the next 2/3 weeks; together with a bag full of Tylenol and amoxicillin. The cost…well it was an expensive piss for sure at 1500bt and not too sure if this is all inclusive or if I have to pay again for the 4 subsequent trips. But a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Not sure I could have done much at the temple other than be a bit more vigilant even when the dogs appeared harmless. Ironically I go hiking quite often; tooled up and always carry a long stick, long machete and some stones and never had a problem.

Well I suppose if I am going to die from rabies I have sufficient time to decide who I want to bite.

Incidently:preceding the writing of this post no physical harm was actually inflicted on any dog of the 4 legged kind, though I did try.

Never mind all that. I think what we all want to know is: how did you convince your wife to let you drink in the afternoon?

T

@Thakkar- I never say I am going drinking, always say I am going out for pad thai...

A jeans day for me today! not becasue I didnt want to tempt fate again, but I didnt want to be ID,d with a big white bandage around my leg.

Nice thing happened today; the hospital phoned me to ask how i was, and to make sure i dont forget to keep taking the tablets and also to come back saturday for another follow up injection. That was the Lanna hospital.

I have never heard of a UK hospital ever doing that, but maybe they do.

That is strong case for justifiable killing/euthanizing the dog. The nearby residents did not do anything about it and next time it might be a young child or other undeserving victim. My guess is the dog has probably already traumatized others.

If anybody cared about that dog it would have a muzzle or being leashed.

Leaving that situation "as is" for the next innocent victim is cowardly action.

Maybe Dave2 can get us a mugshot of this <deleted> dog. Where is Malcom Forbes when you need him?

There were some pretty aggressive dogs in my Thai family's village, used to surround me every time I walked by full of aggression, I kept my hands in my pockets, kept walking and ignored them, always seemed to work.

A few months ago, they disappeared. The pack had done its usual ritual of aggression to unfamiliar folk, then one took a bite. Next day, all were taken out of the village and killed. No messing about here, one dog overstepped the mark, the lot were killed. Whether people think its right or wrong, dogs can be dangerous, people don't take chances.

Hope all is well for you eyecatcher!

eyecatcher said, "I last had a tetanus injection 35yr ago and as for rabies…well; who has had one??? It’s a myth to Westerners."

Not a myth to all of us Westerners. I keep my International Certification of Vaccination current. That includes rabies vaccinations. As noted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "

Once clinical signs [of rabies] manifest, most patients die in 7–14 days." Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam are all considered high risk countries by the

UK's Health protection Agency.

My general theory is that if there is a safe and effective vaccine for a disease, I'll take it. In this ever more globally connected world, you never know what you might be exposed to or when.

David

• Like 1

It's worse for us women when we need to go... BADLY. At least you guys can turn your back and use the bushes. Thankfully, I think we have bigger bladders than men and can hold it longer.

Or when you ride, you could follow the advice former President Reagan gave when he was asked if he preferred boxers or briefs. His answer: "Depends." biggrin.png

David

Isn't it considered offensive for a person to enter the temple grounds after consuming alcohol? Perhaps this was just your karma coming back to "bite" you.

-Mestizo

They say that Karma's a bitch. Little did I realize, she lives in a Thai temple!

T