A Usa History Lesson

A while back now Bill Clinton was about to go on a trip to China and was to be accompanied by his wife however due to an oral indiscretion she refused to go with him.

Incidentally that indiscretion stemmed from a misunderstanding. Bill had been given some Chinese phrases to learn one of which was “Choo my dong” the meaning of which doesn’t really matter.

He was practicing that particular phrase when Monica came in, her usual jovial self and said “What would you like me to do today Mr President?” Bill who was wearing headphones was concentrating so hard he never noticed her enter and repeated again “Choo my dong” “I beg your pardon sir” said Monica.

With more emphasis thought Bill and repeated “Choo my dong” “Certainly Mr President” said Monica and, well the rest I suspect you know.

But that’s not what I want to tell you about.

When Mrs C refused to go to China Bill had a problem for everything had been set up for her to meet several people including the Chinese premier’s wife and it was too late to cancel these engagements. After some gifts had changed hands including I suspect a bit of fiscal persuasion his daughter Chelsea agreed to go with him.

She didn’t know a lot about China and of course didn’t know any Chinese but an interpreter would always be present so that was no problem. When she met with the Chinese premier’s wife they had both been told to answer questions honestly even though they may seem a bit strange due to the cultural difference. Part way through the meeting Chelsea said “There’s something I don’t understand about Chinese politics. How often does your husband have an election?”

The answer came back through the interpreter “Evely morning evely night”