Offering To Teach English As Volunteer

huli

I am a retired Registered Nurse from America.

I would like to help CMU students to improve their English, especially either Nursing or Medical students.

I tried offering my services at the Student Union and The Nursing Dept a while back and they each said they were interested but then never called me back. I am teaching some neighbor children at my house and at a temple but I am more interested in working with older students who are pursuing a degree and have their own agenda.

Also, does anyone know if their is an "English Club" or something like that at CMU?

If anyone has any suggestion or knows anything that might help me get something like this going, I would appreciate either a reply or a PM.

thanks

I can't help with your queries, but I can pass on some advice given to me a while back, and that is you will need a work permit even if what you're doing is voluntary. Be careful because the authorities are very keen on deportation for the slightest offence is my hearing of the situation.

If it's a formal setting at a university then it requires a work permit (don't bother, you can't get one easily), but informally with a group of students it's just fine.

Works even better if they can help you learning Thai in return.

Have done that myself too.

Are you sure about that WTK I have known people who quit teaching English to informal groups for fear of losing their visa.

I know you hold a work visa or one other than retirement or just visiting so you would be exempt. On the face of it, it does sound like a very good idea. Particularly ion a case where you have a profession that would have more use for English than a noodle seller.

You will get lots of scare posts on here regarding volunteer work and it's true some musicians got busted for playing a gig in a pub. But places like that are scrutinised by the BIB and it's just one of many perks they get from scavenging around the bars and restaurants, particularly the ones owned by foreigners. However, as WTK says if you work informally with a bunch of students, learning from each other, you have very little to fear and in most cases you will be very welcome by their families. Often the students turn out to be kin of the BIB too.

Dolly "I have known people who quit teaching English to informal groups for fear of losing their visa".

What caused their fear to this extent, as they had obviously started teaching their groups?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

If it's a formal setting at a university then it requires a work permit (don't bother, you can't get one easily), but informally with a group of students it's just fine.

Take this man's sensible advice. Go out there and make it happen. If your group needs some extra help, let me know. I wouldn't mind pitching in too.

• Like 2

Are you sure about that WTK I have known people who quit teaching English to informal groups for fear of losing their visa.

I have known people with even more irrational fears in Chiang Mai than that. Don't get me started. wink.png

'Informally with a group' means you're at a restaurant or coffee shop, at CMU library, at Ang Kaew on a mat by the lake, at your own house, at a sala in some temple, etc. It's not like the Spanish Inquisition will suddenly descend on you at those locations, it looks just like any other social gathering. rolleyes.gif

I know you hold a work visa or one other than retirement or just visiting so you would be exempt.

Not at all; I didn't have a work visa at the time (I was not doing much at the time, just exploring, hanging out and learning Thai), and secondly the work permit specifies exactly the type of work and where you can do it. (e.g. I can sell you software but I can't paint your house. )

On the face of it, it does sound like a very good idea. Particularly ion a case where you have a profession that would have more use for English than a noodle seller.

Yes agreed, though it's fun in itself to meet people from many walks of life. I always enjoyed being with different groups; students but also people working at a variety of places, even monks. You get a good cross section of society that way. Students mostly live a fairly sheltered life. (Especially at CMU, perhaps less so at Rachabhat and the colleges). Though for those at CMU too it often comes together a bit later; they start to go crazy & party a bit later in life. wink.png )

As a woman, perhaps in addition you could also teach for Empower Foundation (http://www.empowerfo...g/index_en.html). A medical background could be beneficial there, too, though it's mostly fairly common-sense stuff. I would personally find that appealing the variety of people with very different pasts and futures.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Volunteering requires a work permit, period. Think about the case of the Tsunami, when a government offical warned that people should have a work permit. He was overruled, but a month or so later the government announced that people should again need a WP to help.

In your case nobody will be bothered and looking for you. But it still is illegal and that siutation can be turned against you. Working for an nature group is OK, but if they organize a protest they might look at the voluteers. Teaching is OK, but what if there is an incident in class and somebody gets hurt...

Volunteering requires a work permit, period. Think about the case of the Tsunami, when a government offical warned that people should have a work permit. He was overruled, but a month or so later the government announced that people should again need a WP to help.

In your case nobody will be bothered and looking for you. But it still is illegal and that siutation can be turned against you. Working for an nature group is OK, but if they organize a protest they might look at the voluteers. Teaching is OK, but what if there is an incident in class and somebody gets hurt...

But there is no "class," There is no teacher. There are no students. It's just an informal exchange of knowledge at a coffee shop.

It's not like the Spanish Inquisition will suddenly descend on you at those locations, it looks just like any other social gathering. rolleyes.gif

What if there are comfy chairs and soft cushions?

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst their weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms.

• Like 2

You will get lots of scare posts on here regarding volunteer work and it's true some musicians got busted for playing a gig in a pub. But places like that are scrutinised by the BIB and it's just one of many perks they get from scavenging around the bars and restaurants, particularly the ones owned by foreigners. However, as WTK says if you work informally with a bunch of students, learning from each other, you have very little to fear and in most cases you will be very welcome by their families. Often the students turn out to be kin of the BIB too.

Dolly "I have known people who quit teaching English to informal groups for fear of losing their visa".

What caused their fear to this extent, as they had obviously started teaching their groups?

Not sure why he quit one was a group[ of monks and another a group[ of restaurant staff where he ate and could not afford a tip.

For sure he would be in big trouble if he was deported. He needs physical help and it is not cheap where he comes from.

Is there not a way to get clearance from immigration for certain types pf volunteer work?

Hull,

I think Mario2008 has given you the best advice in this situation. While I think your desire to volunteer to teach English is laudable, it still requires a work permit under Thai law even if it is done "informally with a group." From what I have seen, Immigration reads the word "volunteer" very broadly. Might you get away with doing it without a work permit? Sure. Many folks do volunteer work without them and never get caught. But as Mario2008 pointed out, sh*t happens.

Good luck either way.

David

• Like 1

The biggest hurdle a retiree faces if he wants to teach English In Thailand isn't the work permit. It's ageism. Thai people prefer younger teachers. Generally speaking, if the teacher is young, tall and handsome, but with few qualifications, he will still be picked over the 65-year old with a Masters Degree in English. It's unfair, but that's the way it is. I don't want to discourage you; I just want to make you aware it exists. You can still succeed on your own terms by providing informal lessons to neighbours, friends, university students off-campus, Facebook groups, via Skype, etc. It might even be a richer experience than teaching a class of disinterested students with your official work permit in hand.

The official line from the Labour Office is, if you expend any effort, it is classified as work, and as such you need a work permit.

The head of a nearby OrBorTor asked my wife if I could help the locals learn a little English on an informal basis before their evening exercise class. No classroom, books etc. Just conversation. I'm on a marriage visa, but previously have been on a work visa as I volunteered at the local school for 5 years until last year (the TL red tape put an end to that).

We went to the Immigration Office, and then the Labour Office to ask if I needed a work permit. The answer was 'Yes'.

We took all the paperwork to the OrBorTor and explained, so they could pursue it further - we never heard another word.

Obviously the Work Permit is necessary and the 3,000 baht p.a. cost was understandably too much....................

Fellow Expats

Thank you all for chiming in to my post.

As it happens, I have done volunteer work at the 2 largest temples in CM teaching English but I quit them both out of fear that I would get turned in for not having a work permit. That's old history now. It's too risky. When a person teaches at a school, it sure looks like they are a teacher, so I can't be doing that anymore.

Now days, I teach English and math to 6 neighbor kids on Sunday afternoon and English to 3 kids at a Buddhist recreation program on Sunday morning. The kids are poor and 6-13 years old. It's free to them, but costs me kanoms and I make lesson plans.

I haven't really been worried at all about the work permit issue on this Sunday stuff. But I do appreciate your warnings.

My dream is to make friends with a few college students who want to practice their medical or nursing English on a long term basis.

WTK - I am not a woman last time I checked, but, like you, I would "find it appealing" to teach at Empower, but my wife would probably worry too much. I have been to their place on Chiang Mai Land and had the tour, and met one of their teachers.

Many thanks to ThaiVisa members for replying to my post!

Perhaps your total skill set could be more greatly appreciated at one of the IDP (refugee) camps or schools along the Burmese border. You could go to Mae Sot where there is always a large ex-pat community and network around and look for something that works for you.

The biggest hurdle a retiree faces if he wants to teach English In Thailand isn't the work permit. It's ageism. Thai people prefer younger teachers. Generally speaking, if the teacher is young, tall and handsome, but with few qualifications, he will still be picked over the 65-year old with a Masters Degree in English. It's unfair, but that's the way it is. I don't want to discourage you; I just want to make you aware it exists. You can still succeed on your own terms by providing informal lessons to neighbours, friends, university students off-campus, Facebook groups, via Skype, etc. It might even be a richer experience than teaching a class of disinterested students with your official work permit in hand.

Well In my mind I qualify but my body refuses to listen to my mind.sad.png