Bad Service And Useless Caddies!

dogpoo

Serious golfers want good caddies, maybe there is another reason why people play and accept poor caddies!!

Unless you are a regular at a particular course......you have next to no say in which caddy you get.

I have had more bad caddies than good and I have "had" to accept them.

But as I have mentioned before, If I had a choice....I would prefer no caddy, I am quite capable of looking after my own clubs and deciding how I play my game.

Cheers.

Serious golfers want good caddies, maybe there is another reason why people play and accept poor caddies!!

Unless you are a regular at a particular course......you have next to no say in which caddy you get.

I have had more bad caddies than good and I have "had" to accept them.

But as I have mentioned before, If I had a choice....I would prefer no caddy, I am quite capable of looking after my own clubs and deciding how I play my game.

Cheers.

Having no say as to the quality of the caddie is very true, the golf clubs do not care about providing a decent service they are only interested in taking money via green fees and after game services! every golfer who enjoys golf wants to be able to play to the best of there ability and the caddie is a part of this, if you get a poor caddie who's only interest is to talk on the phone, eat and lag behind because they are tired, this can only cause frustration and end any enjoyment you thought you were going to have, you pay a lot of money to play golf here and for that reason alone you should expect a half decent caddie!! people who love and enjoy the game of golf want every part of the experience of playing to be enjoyable, people who only play golf to have a laugh, muck about etc will not be bothered by the quality of the caddie in fact it will make there day better the worse the caddie is!!

every golfer who enjoys golf wants to be able to play to the best of there ability and the caddie is a part of this

You know what they say about a bad tradesman ?

Do you play golf? Next time maybe use an emoticon if you were trying to be funny and quoting only part of his reasoning is being very selective. mellow.png

I have regularly played absolutely crap but in most cases the caddy continued to do a good job so no blame there.

As dogpoo said it is all part of the overall experience so can be important because of that. How you deal with it and how it affects you will be different to all concerned.

every golfer who enjoys golf wants to be able to play to the best of there ability and the caddie is a part of this

Do you play golf? Next time maybe use an emoticon if you were trying to be funny and quoting only part of his reasoning is being very selective. mellow.png

I have regularly played absolutely crap but in most cases the caddy continued to do a good job so no blame there.

As dogpoo said it is all part of the overall experience so can be important because of that. How you deal with it and how it affects you will be different to all concerned.

It's always the $h1t golfers who complain about caddies - I guess it helps them make up for their own lack of ability.

It's always the $h1t golfers who complain about caddies - I guess it helps them make up for their own lack of ability.

Is it cold under that bridge? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The caddies pay money to the caddie manager to get a job as part of the pool. They do this because it can be a lucrative job. The wealthy Thais will bet a lot of money as they play and that can lead to very big tips. Are you surprised they're not thrilled to lose the chance of that to have to spend hours with a farang that thinks he's doing them a huge favour with a 300 Baht tip?

The caddies pay money to the caddie manager to get a job as part of the pool. They do this because it can be a lucrative job. The wealthy Thais will bet a lot of money as they play and that can lead to very big tips. Are you surprised they're not thrilled to lose the chance of that to have to spend hours with a farang that thinks he's doing them a huge favour with a 300 Baht tip?

Sorry is that an excuse for being lazy and useless, is it all our fault?

• Like 1

I don't play golf but I have several friends who do, and they are quite good at the game. They tell me that things have changed for the worse in the 10 years they've been coming to Thailand. They used to base themselves in Pattaya and played 3 or 4 times a week for 2 to 4 months at a time. They are now thinking of looking elsewhere because of increasing costs and much poorer service. It seems like the Golden goose has already been cooked and eaten.

Some Thai businesses don't seem to understand that you will lose out in the end if you continue to gouge customers.

I know how you feel! You must play at Eastern Star Golf Course in Ban Chang/ Rayong! No management, no service, no information, extremely poor greens ( we actually call the "brownies"), a form for comments per e-mail in the clubhouse and the address does not exist, some of these so called golf courses are very poorly managed if at all. So I understand your frustration.

FALLING STAR????

I always enjoy reading and listening to guys complain about there caddies. "They were slow, couldn't read a green, couldn't drive the cart. I have often wondered if there is a blog somewhere that allows caddies to vent. Can you hear them -- " You should have seen the hackers we had today, shot 110 and blamed me for not finding a ball they hit 100 yards into the woods". Face it most of you guys haven't broken 90 in 10 years and still think your getting ready for the tour

It's great to read that there is someone who is very happy with the service provided by the golf courses, even happier to read that there is someone who is very happy with the service provided by Thai caddies, could you tell us where you play and how the caddies at your course or courses satisfy you!! caddies are employed by the courses to provide a service relating to golf, they are not employed to be lazy, talk on the phone and have no interest in golf! People complain because it is there right to do so at receiving a poor service, as I have said before, good caddies earn well, poor useless caddies earn a lot less its up to them!! Most golfers play to enjoy the game and most do not care what they shoot!! You should be given the choice as to whether or not you want a caddie, if this became the case a lot of caddies would lose there easy jobs!!

I play twice a week, once at Pattaya Country Club and once at the 9 hole course just South of Bang Saray. I have the same caddies every week and find that their knowledge of the course and the greens improves my game no end. I am normally given the right club to use and when I change it I usually say to my caddie afterwards that I should have taken her advice.

I think the only solution to bad caddies is keep playing until you find the right one for you and then make sure you keep her.

I always enjoy reading and listening to guys complain about there caddies. "They were slow, couldn't read a green, couldn't drive the cart. I have often wondered if there is a blog somewhere that allows caddies to vent. Can you hear them -- " You should have seen the hackers we had today, shot 110 and blamed me for not finding a ball they hit 100 yards into the woods". Face it most of you guys haven't broken 90 in 10 years and still think your getting ready for the tour

It's great to read that there is someone who is very happy with the service provided by the golf courses, even happier to read that there is someone who is very happy with the service provided by Thai caddies, could you tell us where you play and how the caddies at your course or courses satisfy you!! caddies are employed by the courses to provide a service relating to golf, they are not employed to be lazy, talk on the phone and have no interest in golf! People complain because it is there right to do so at receiving a poor service, as I have said before, good caddies earn well, poor useless caddies earn a lot less its up to them!! Most golfers play to enjoy the game and most do not care what they shoot!! You should be given the choice as to whether or not you want a caddie, if this became the case a lot of caddies would lose there easy jobs!!

Have been playing Khow Kheow every Monday for 3 1/2 years, member at Green Valley for 3 years as well. I am not a good golfer, about a 19, but go out to have fun. They satisfy by seeing where the ball goes, fixing divots, etc. if you get a good one, tip them properly ( min 300 baht ), they will be there next time you play

Have been playing Khow Kheow every Monday for 3 1/2 years, member at Green Valley for 3 years as well. I am not a good golfer, about a 19, but go out to have fun. They satisfy by seeing where the ball goes, fixing divots, etc. if you get a good one, tip them properly ( min 300 baht ), they will be there next time you play

Great!! The problem is Thailand golf courses are full of useless caddies! You have to get through the bad ones in order to find the good ones!

I used to live in Phuket and play about every 2 or 3 weeks; mainly a hacker if I am being truthful but I would go out to have a fun day with my mates. Have also played Pattaya and Hat Yai as well. Phuket caddies in my opinion where the worst by far. Don't get me wrong, I have had some good caddies there but on the whole they where pretty terrible. And the cost is crazy for Thailand (Red Mountain is stunning though).

Having said that I don't really expect them to do anything more than hold the bag and be pleasant, they get only 300 baht a day which is ordinary money so most of them have no idea. I paid the price when I asked them one day to do more than that, was putting for a birdie and asked about the lay on the green and was given the opposite direction of what it was. I did blow a gasket, which I am not proud of now, but lesson learned.

And for that 300 baht they really do earn it. It's bloody hot on those course and most of the girls are small and the bag would be quite heavy for them. This is just a job for uneducated ppl. Any of them that have a great work ethic will probably go on to better jobs than this

I used to live in Phuket and play about every 2 or 3 weeks; mainly a hacker if I am being truthful but I would go out to have a fun day with my mates. Have also played Pattaya and Hat Yai as well. Phuket caddies in my opinion where the worst by far. Don't get me wrong, I have had some good caddies there but on the whole they where pretty terrible. And the cost is crazy for Thailand (Red Mountain is stunning though).

Having said that I don't really expect them to do anything more than hold the bag and be pleasant, they get only 300 baht a day which is ordinary money so most of them have no idea. I paid the price when I asked them one day to do more than that, was putting for a birdie and asked about the lay on the green and was given the opposite direction of what it was. I did blow a gasket, which I am not proud of now, but lesson learned.

And for that 300 baht they really do earn it. It's bloody hot on those course and most of the girls are small and the bag would be quite heavy for them. This is just a job for uneducated ppl. Any of them that have a great work ethic will probably go on to better jobs than this

Do they earn there money as much as someone who works in the rice fields or on a building site? Uneducated people can still earn a good living by making a big effort!! yes it's hot on the course, it's hot in this country this is not an excuse, being small is also no excuse, they pull a trolley and do not have much to think about! Again they could be working in the fields or on a building site which Is better?

• Like 1

For those of us who enjoy the game but still have a sense of humour -

During my physical examination, my doctor
asked me about my physical activity level.

I described a typical day, "Well, yesterday afternoon, I took a five hour
walk about 7 miles through some pretty rough terrain. I waded along the edge of
a lake. I pushed my way through brambles. I got sand in my shoes and my eyes. I
avoided standing on a snake. I climbed several rocky hills. I took a few
'leaks' behind some big trees. The mental stress of it all left me shattered.
At the end of it all I drank eight beers."

Inspired by the story, the doctor said, "You must be one hell of an
outdoors man!"

"No," I replied, "I'm just a shit golfer."

• Like 2

For those of us who enjoy the game but still have a sense of humour -

During my physical examination, my doctor

asked me about my physical activity level.

I described a typical day, "Well, yesterday afternoon, I took a five hour

walk about 7 miles through some pretty rough terrain. I waded along the edge of

a lake. I pushed my way through brambles. I got sand in my shoes and my eyes. I

avoided standing on a snake. I climbed several rocky hills. I took a few

'leaks' behind some big trees. The mental stress of it all left me shattered.

At the end of it all I drank eight beers."

Inspired by the story, the doctor said, "You must be one hell of an

outdoors man!"

"No," I replied, "I'm just a shit golfer."

Good one!!

• Like 1

Our caddie problem has been a bit different in that it is my daughter who plays junior tournament golf around Thailand and must use one of the club's caddies each time she plays. She played as a 6 year old and continues today at 12. The caddies are particularly bad for kids because the caddies will not yield to the kids judgement and become very distracting for the player. We have had two different penalties for caddie errors. We play so many different courses, getting a regular is difficult.

We must constantly reinforce the need to make her own decisions regarding distances, club selection and correct rule. Seriously, the caddies are worthless and we over tip. We started out tipping 500 and have cut it down to 300. We initially felt the caddie had to work extra hard to handle a youngster. That has not proven to be the case, it turns out they are far more useless than with an adult player.

I am sure there are a few who are competent but in general, they are as dumb as rocks and really detract from any enjoyment the game might otherwise offer. Problem is, IMO they refuse to accept that they know very little about the game and as in many situations, seem to know it all. For a youngster, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Our caddie problem has been a bit different in that it is my daughter who plays junior tournament golf around Thailand and must use one of the club's caddies each time she plays. She played as a 6 year old and continues today at 12. The caddies are particularly bad for kids because the caddies will not yield to the kids judgement and become very distracting for the player. We have had two different penalties for caddie errors. We play so many different courses, getting a regular is difficult.

We must constantly reinforce the need to make her own decisions regarding distances, club selection and correct rule. Seriously, the caddies are worthless and we over tip. We started out tipping 500 and have cut it down to 300. We initially felt the caddie had to work extra hard to handle a youngster. That has not proven to be the case, it turns out they are far more useless than with an adult player.

I am sure there are a few who are competent but in general, they are as dumb as rocks and really detract from any enjoyment the game might otherwise offer. Problem is, IMO they refuse to accept that they know very little about the game and as in many situations, seem to know it all. For a youngster, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good post and I sympathize with your problem, the fact a useless person is forced upon you ruins the game of golf here, what makes things worse is the clubs do not care! I go to play golf I do not go for any other reason, if the caddie is fat and ugly but is good at the job that is great, if the caddie is slim, beautiful and sexy but useless at being a caddie she can <deleted> off!!

Carry my clubs, keep quiet, keep an on my ball so we can find it on my dodgy shots... Thats all I expect, thats what I pay for.

I don't need distance advice or green tips etc.. But if they offer intelligent advice that is a bonus.

I'm just happy I don't have to drag my own bag around in this heat.

• Like 2

Dogpoo, you sound a wheeeeeeee bit uptight, bro.

No not me I am as happy as a birdie!! I just don't put up with bad service!! do you put up with bad service? If you put up with bad service, why do you? Edited by dogpoo

Carry my clubs, keep quiet, keep an on my ball so we can find it on my dodgy shots... Thats all I expect, thats what I pay for.

I don't need distance advice or green tips etc.. But if they offer intelligent advice that is a bonus.

How difficult would it be to push or pull your own trolley even if it is hot here? If you are paying around 5000bht for a game of golf you should expect excellent service on and off the course! If you are happy to receive bad service it's no wonder there are so many useless lazy caddies in this country!!

How difficult would it be to push or pull your own trolley even if it is hot here? If you are paying around 5000bht for a game of golf you should expect excellent service on and off the course! If you are happy to receive bad service it's no wonder there are so many useless lazy caddies in this country!!

I don't want to push or pull my own trolley and I'm happy to pay someone else 500 baht to do so.

You are correct that I should expect good service. But, I'm realist, as such I don't expect excellent service from an uneducated minimal wager, instead I expect the minimum, which in this case is to pull my trolley, be polite and don't disturb my game, rake the bunkers and replace my divots. I don't see a caddy as someone who can improve my game.

A bad caddy is someone who talks while I'm playing, uses her phone all the time, looses a club, doesn't keep an eye on the ball etc... I tip accordingly with a bad or good caddy. But I don't expect a PGA performance from someone who ultimately is just there for a little job creation and to make sure I don't dig up the course...

You pay for someone who is proficient at the job she or he is employed to do, if you are happy to have someone who just pulls your cart then all is good, how can you expect PGA standard when most of these people can not even go 50yds without talking on the phone, yawning or wanting to eat! what has being uneducated have to do with showing a little bit of interest? the majority of these caddies have no interest in golf they only want an easy life where they get a big tip for doing not a lot, I don't stand for bad service no matter what excuses they come up with!! The fact you don't expect good service is exactly why these people do not give good service, it will only get worse if that is possible with people who think like yourself!!

I don't want to push or pull my own trolley and I'm happy to pay someone else 500 baht to do so.

You are correct that I should expect good service. But, I'm realist, as such I don't expect excellent service from an uneducated minimal wager, instead I expect the minimum, which in this case is to pull my trolley, be polite and don't disturb my game, rake the bunkers and replace my divots. I don't see a caddy as someone who can improve my game.

A bad caddy is someone who talks while I'm playing, uses her phone all the time, looses a club, doesn't keep an eye on the ball etc... I tip accordingly with a bad or good caddy. But I don't expect a PGA performance from someone who ultimately is just there for a little job creation and to make sure I don't dig up the course...

You pay for someone who is proficient at the job she or he is employed to do, if you are happy to have someone who just pulls your cart then all is good, how can you expect PGA standard when most of these people can not even go 50yds without talking on the phone, yawning or wanting to eat! what has being uneducated have to do with showing a little bit of interest? the majority of these caddies have no interest in golf they only want an easy life where they get a big tip for doing not a lot, I don't stand for bad service no matter what excuses they come up with!! The fact you don't expect good service is exactly why these people do not give good service, it will only get worse if that is possible with people who think like yourself!!

The last time I played with 3 friends one caddie was lagging behind yawning, her friend said "she is very tired and hungry" is that our problem!! she was told to go back to the clubhouse politely and was replaced by a not so tired or hungry caddie!! bad service is the norm in this country because so many people accept it!!

The bad thing here is that the caddies who are told to go back to the clubhouse do not care because they can not be bothered in the first place, even the caddie coordinator does not care, they just laugh!!

Not having a pop at anyone but acceptance breeds bad service and it is very contagious!!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1