Ethiopian Food Is Back In Bangkok!

ricklev

Ok, so I am going to give it a whirl tomorrow. Would an Ethiofoodphile please say which is a must-order iconical dish? Thanks.

Doro Wett. I think the most famous dish of Ethiopia. They call it chicken special there. Also the vegetarian food is classic (greens, lentils, etc). I see they have combo plates but if you want a combo plate of veg and meat, you need some dining mate. It all comes served on the famous injera bread, which should be made of teff flour. You eat with your hands picking the food up with the bread.

It should be noted that in Ethiopia the people eat vegetarian for large portions of the year (traditional/Christian religious) so it is one of the supreme vegetarian food cultures of the world.

At that place:

16. SPECIAL

- Exquisitely flavorful and spicy chicken slow simmered in Berbere sauce, served with hard-boiled eggs (also simmered in the sauce), home made cottage cheese, Selata (Salad), all on Ethiopian Injera (flat bread). ฿ 300

Ethiopian food, if you like it, is kind of addictive. I have a lifetime yearning for it and there is no replacement for the flavor profile of it. So as the OP says ... I understand.

Hey. Look. Discount coupon:

http://ethiopianrest...promotions.html

Edited by Jingthing

It's not like you are going to find world class Ethiopian food in Thailand but before this opening, you'd have to travel to Japan, China or Australia to find it in the general region. Yes it's the only Ethiopian place in Thailand. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're not wowed by the Bangkok version, you might want to give it another try if you're back in London, New York, and especially Washington D.C. etc.

http://www.ethiopianrestaurant.com/dc/dining.html

The above international Ethiopian site has dated info on Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Rick, what's the background/meaning of your comment about having Ethiopian food here in BKK "again"?

Was this place, or another place, open sometime in the past, and what happened about that?

BTW Jing, Los Angeles also had quite a small community of quite good Ethiopian restaurants along Fairfax Blvd in the Fairfax district... the only place I've ever eaten the food before.

Looking forward to trying this place here in Soi 3.

As far as I know in the last 15 years or so there have only been two Ethiopian restaurants in Bangkok. Abyssinia was open for a while a few years ago and then Habesha opened a couple of years later but didn't last too long. They closed about a year ago and have now reopened. Their first incarnation was in a pretty depressing run down hotel, but the food was OK to pretty good. They flew the injera in from Ethiopia, I think. Something about the climate making it difficult to prepare here.

Edited by ricklev

BTW Jing, Los Angeles also had quite a small community of quite good Ethiopian restaurants along Fairfax Blvd in the Fairfax district... the only place I've ever eaten the food before.

Been there. Done that. Yes, very good. I'm so worldly. Sometimes it's scary. coffee1.gif

I finally had a chance to try the new Habesha. The injera is made from teff and was good. The veggy combo was great. There were some minor aesthetic annoyances, but nothing food related. I'm deeply satisfied and I hope they make a go of it.

We went last night and the meal was fantastic. Here's the veggy combo (#27).

Were you trying to post a photo? Your post came thru, but the photo didn't!

I must say, I've eaten Eithiopian food before in Los Angeles and quite enjoyed it... Very flavorful.

But when I look at the photo above, the items presented in the dish don't look particular appetizing, at least from the photo.

Particularly the orange-colored liquidy item to the front right of the photo. I'll refrain from commenting what that appears to look like.... blink.png

Were you trying to post a photo? Your post came thru, but the photo didn't!

I must say, I've eaten Eithiopian food before in Los Angeles and quite enjoyed it... Very flavorful.

But when I look at the photo above, the items presented in the dish don't look particular appetizing, at least from the photo.

Particularly the orange-colored liquidy item to the front right of the photo. I'll refrain from commenting what that appears to look like.... blink.png

It's only a photo. Why don't you go on their website or search on google if that one doesn't appeal?

Tonight tried the for me totally obscure cuisine from Ethiopia ,after years of Bob geldolf ,world famine with bugle eyed kids etc and seeing some reviews from here i ventured in,7pm a few guys smoking sheesha in the back and a heavy whoft of spices ,clean area with about 10 tables some lining the walls and pretty young lass bring the menu ,i have no idea so order the lamb combination,15 mins later big plate with 3 curries or stews and flat sour dough bread called injeera ,firstly the bread is crepe/pancake like and its sour similiar to lime squeezed on to or sourness of yohgurt is served cold which u break and scoop up the stews.the curries were not chili spicy but spice heavy the dark red curry was great ,thick hearty wholesome the other 2 milder less heavy is spice and taste ,the bread although good is kinda weird as i thought it might be served hot but no its cold.overall 6 .5 out of 10 ,clean ,hostess answered questions about food and yes the bread is flown i everday. my missus tagged along and she being thai thought bread was crap and stew mediocre.360 baht includes 2 cokes ,cheaper than flying to the plains of Ethiopia .ps i dont know it the pic will upload

post-122150-0-73565400-1358267688_thumb.

Edited by greg71
  • Like 2