Thai Wife In Uk With The New Spouse Visa.... Holiday In Europe... How?

Hi there,

The missus had her new spouse visa issued before xmas and is valid till Sept 2015.

If we wanted to go on holiday for a couple of weeks from the UK to one of the Schengen Visa countries, may be spain or portugal then return back to the UK to carry on with life how do we get the schengen visa for her?

also if we wanted to do a mini cruise how can we do that as well?

Thanks as always in adavance

TheVM

Hi,

My wife had a couple of Schengen Visa's whilst on a a UK settlement visa. You need to apply for the visa to the Embassy of the country you will spend most time in if you were travelling around Europe.

We went to Germany to see my brother and applied by post as she is married to an EU citizen they allow you to do it by post, most ask you to go to in person, after we went to Germany we used the same Visa to go to Holland. Then we wanted to go to Spain so we just applied through the German Embassy again although we didn't go to Germany, we sent a hotel booking and cancelled this when the Visa came through as the Schengen visa can be used in any Schengen country. It does say on the website if you are found to be getting a visa from one country and visiting another they may not allow any future visa's as they are aware some embassies are easier to do the business with that others and I found the German Embassy to be excellent, all passports and visa back within 48 hours. Having said that on my wife's first visa she didn't have any German stamps in it as we drove through France yet they still allowed her a second visa, so she has had 2 German Schengen Visa's and no German stamps in her passport and had no issues at all. This was last year and things do change so just because we did it this way doesn't mean you still can so don't take my word for it!!

Depending on the Embassy will depend what documents they want. The German Embassy need

Both you and your wife's passport

Marriage Certificate - Translated in English if it's Thai

Hotel Booking (there are plenty of sites you can book without paying a deposit if needed)

Adequate Travel Insurance for you both

Evidence you have enough money to cover the holiday

Pay slips or Salary Statements if employed.

(Some ask for flight tickets etc, but the German one didn't, a bit risky booking flights if you don't get the visa)

Double check the website for more exactly what they need,

The German website is

http://www.london.diplo.de

But if you Google Schengen Visa and the country you wish to apply in then you will find lots of information.

Andy

Edited by andyandythai

Hi,

My wife had a couple of Schengen Visa's whilst on a a UK settlement visa. You need to apply for the visa to the Embassy of the country you will spend most time in if you were travelling around Europe.

We went to Germany to see my brother and applied by post as she is married to an EU citizen they allow you to do it by post, most ask you to go to in person, after we went to Germany we used the same Visa to go to Holland. Then we wanted to go to Spain so we just applied through the German Embassy again although we didn't go to Germany, we sent a hotel booking and cancelled this when the Visa came through as the Schengen visa can be used in any Schengen country. It does say on the website if you are found to be getting a visa from one country and visiting another they may not allow any future visa's as they are aware some embassies are easier to do the business with that others and I found the German Embassy to be excellent, all passports and visa back within 48 hours. Having said that on my wife's first visa she didn't have any German stamps in it as we drove through France yet they still allowed her a second visa, so she has had 2 German Schengen Visa's and no German stamps in her passport and had no issues at all. This was last year and things do change so just because we did it this way doesn't mean you still can so don't take my word for it!!

Depending on the Embassy will depend what documents they want. The German Embassy need

Both you and your wife's passport

Marriage Certificate - Translated in English if it's Thai

Hotel Booking (there are plenty of sites you can book without paying a deposit if needed)

Adequate Travel Insurance for you both

Evidence you have enough money to cover the holiday

Pay slips or Salary Statements if employed.

(Some ask for flight tickets etc, but the German one didn't, a bit risky booking flights if you don't get the visa)

Double check the website for more exactly what they need,

The German website is

http://www.london.diplo.de

But if you Google Schengen Visa and the country you wish to apply in then you will find lots of information.

Andy

Update: I have just had a look on the German website and things have changed since we applied, they now outsource the application process and its different, they also charge now and it takes longer.

Check this site http://www.vfsglobal.com/germany/uk/allaboutvisas.html

Andy

As she is, presumably, the spouse of a EU national and traveling with that EU national then the process of obtaining a Schengen visa for her should be relatively straightforward and also free. However, they are allowed to make a service charge!

Most of the requirements don't apply, such as hotel bookings. These will be marked on the application form, so read it carefully.

Thanks for the help guys................. seems fairly straight forward for a change lol.......... am sure there will be a stumbling block somewhere between now and the summer but we will come across that when we get there.