Status Of Jasmine Rice As Thai Icon Under Threat

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Status of jasmine rice as Thai icon under threat

The Nation

Distorted prices and neglect of small farmers could cost the Kingdom its spot as top exporter of the fragrant rice strain

Thailand's jasmine strain of fragrant rice has been a source of national pride for decades. Thais are proud that their country has become synonymous with the pleasant aroma and smooth taste of this indigenous rice.

However, the international reputation of jasmine rice could soon lose its association with Thailand. Thailand was once the biggest exporter of fragrant rice, but other countries such as Vietnam are fast catching up. It is not unthinkable that the Kingdom may lose its spot as the world biggest exporter of jasmine rice - and soon.

Of course, this is due to a combination of factors including the rice-mortgage programme, which has pushed prices to a non-competitive level.

The Yingluck government has tried to defend its policy by saying that the government wanted to promote the quality of the rice production, not the quantity. But if Thailand loses its markets, this will make little difference. And worst of all, despite the massive budget spent, Thai farmers' quality of living has not improved.

In recent years, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and even China have emerged as serious competitors in terms of jasmine rice exports.

Thai jasmine rice has found markets overseas, such as the ethnic-Asian market in the US, where "Thai Hom Mali" rice has become synonymous with Thai cuisine. But the high price has made Thai rice less competitive. Other countries also compete in terms of quality.

Over the past 10 years, the Thai share of the jasmine rice market, once as high as 80-90 per cent, has been halved. Vietnam, meanwhile, has seen its market share increase. Vietnam's share of Hong Kong's jasmine rice market rose to 30 per cent after just two years of exports to the territory.

Thailand must improve its production and market structures. Thai jasmine rice

production still has room to grow. But farmers do not have any incentive to grow the crop. Currently, the agricultural area in Thailand amounts to 130 million rai, with 55-60 million rai under rice plantation.

Rice production has been decreasing every year because farmers have shifted to energy crops, which yield more profit. In spite of the government's rice-subsidy programme, a majority of farmers do not benefit from the programme because the rice quality does not meet the government's requirements. Many farmers in the Northeast have shifted to rubber. In addition, half of the rice plantation area is now used to grow sticky rice.

The Thai agricultural sector is household-based and centred on micro-farming. On average, farmers cultivate no more than 20 rai. And farmers tend to work individually. The Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives Ministry concentrated on farming, and did not pay attention to promoting cooperatives to boost farmers' collective power and bargaining strength. In Japan and many European countries, farmers have formed cooperatives to boost their competitiveness, sharing technology to improve the quality of rice production. Thai farmers, however, are left to compete on their own.

Many Thai farmers have to lease the plots they cultivate, and do not put resources into improving the quality of the soil. Most of the land is owned by real-estate middlemen. Many of these land plots are in deserted areas. To turn this unused area into a field of gold for the benefit of farmers, the government must find a mechanism to ensure that land plots are developed for the sustainable benefit of the majority of farmers.

Thailand's annual rice exports of approximately 5 million tonnes are shipped to more than 100 countries. Therefore, there is room to increase the amount of rice consumed per capita in these destination countries.

Apart from restructuring the agricultural sector, farmers need to add value to their products by, for instance, using organic farming methods.

If Thailand is complacent, foreign consumers may eventually forget that jasmine rice originated in Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-06

The Yingluck government has tried to defend its policy by saying that the government wanted to promote the quality of the rice production, not the quantity.

The only thing this scam has promoted the quality of, is the financial sheets, of the millers, the rich land owners, and of course many politicians and there brothers.

That can only be done with quota and grading

Some people might remember 05-08 Thai Rice Millers came under firs for putting in LOWER GRADES of rice in their highest grade Thai Jasmine bags and selling it - overseas. Right there Vietnam picked up a good 20 per cent of the high grade jasmine market. Seattle Asian food mart Uwajimaya had a running spat because of the Thai Jasmine it bought being in reality lower grade. They started promoting Vietnamese Jasmine to their customers

And now this .... its like shooting yourself in the foot two times

• Like 1

Some people might remember 05-08 Thai Rice Millers came under firs for putting in LOWER GRADES of rice in their highest grade Thai Jasmine bags and selling it - overseas. Right there Vietnam picked up a good 20 per cent of the high grade jasmine market. Seattle Asian food mart Uwajimaya had a running spat because of the Thai Jasmine it bought being in reality lower grade. They started promoting Vietnamese Jasmine to their customers

And it is extremely easy for even an amateur to see the difference in finished packed rice. Grade qualities or mixing stands out like a sore thumb.

Som Nam Na!

• Like 1

When you are after the short term benifit (here today gone tomorrow) vs the long range planning and commitment of some of the worlds societies, its a wonder that the world has the number of countries, still functioning, that we have.

Some of the worlds societies are known for their planning for the following 2nd and 3rd generations benifit, while others want immediate personal rewards. But then you are never sure which trait will be passed down in the crossbreeding between the two nor which ones will be dominate. It may be time to go back to artifical insemination, to improve the human factor which seems to be screwing up the natural order.

• Like 1

When you are after the short term benifit (here today gone tomorrow) vs the long range planning and commitment of some of the worlds societies, its a wonder that the world has the number of countries, still functioning, that we have.

Some of the worlds societies are known for their planning for the following 2nd and 3rd generations benifit, while others want immediate personal rewards. But then you are never sure which trait will be passed down in the crossbreeding between the two nor which ones will be dominate. It may be time to go back to artifical insemination, to improve the human factor which seems to be screwing up the natural order.

Politicians get voted in/out every 3 to 4 years. That's all they care about.

Some people might remember 05-08 Thai Rice Millers came under firs for putting in LOWER GRADES of rice in their highest grade Thai Jasmine bags and selling it - overseas. Right there Vietnam picked up a good 20 per cent of the high grade jasmine market. Seattle Asian food mart Uwajimaya had a running spat because of the Thai Jasmine it bought being in reality lower grade. They started promoting Vietnamese Jasmine to their customers And now this .... its like shooting yourself in the foot two times
And it is extremely easy for even an amateur to see the difference in finished packed rice. Grade qualities or mixing stands out like a sore thumb.

Yes, but to most Thai's all foreigners are stupid so they probably believed it wouldn't be noticed. The stupidity and greed of some people seems to know no bounds.

• Like 2

It would seem that greed is slowly destroying the special things Thailand has to offer.... the latest being it's world renowned jasmine rice.

It's up and coming ASEAN neighbours must be loving it.

They may well crease this place! jing jing! :(

-mel.

It would seem that greed is slowly destroying the special things Thailand has to offer.... the latest being it's world renowned jasmine rice.

Is it really "world renowned"? I think basmati rice would be the preference of most.

What stops both of them being "world renowned"?

Many Thai farmers have to lease the plots they cultivate, and do not put resources into improving the quality of the soil. Most of the land is owned by real-estate middlemen.

Help me out with this one as I'm not familiar with India, Vietnam or other rice growing countries, other than that I know they are as third world as Thailand is.

Does the farm land in those countries also belong to the rich and have to be leased by the farmers, or is this a Thailand only problem where the farmars originally sold their land for a few quick bucks which they didn't have to work for?

Has a similar event happened in the other countries in the past ?

Is it really "world renowned"? I think basmati rice would be the preference of most.

Nothing actually. I apprehensively admit I worked as a chef prior to coming to Thailand and having to work as an English Teacher. Basmati rice and Thai Jasmine rice are both "world renowned" as very fragrant rices but each is their own animal and suited for completely different styles of cooking. Basmati is not as starchy, and doesn't stick to it's own grains as much as the Jasmine rice does so you can get the multi colored effect you see in dishes like Biriyani from layering rice and seasoning. It also is better for eating thick Indian style curries with Naan or other Indian Flatbreads. Jasmine on the other hand is great when a watery Thai curry is spooned over the top and is more satiating for the higher starch content which is why you'll see a lot more potatoes in Indian dishes then in Thai dishes, as well as the absence of bread for the most part.

That being said so it relates to the topic...

I'm surprised Thailand never bothered to get a proper trade agreement localizing the name "Jasmine" to protect it's interests the way Mexico has for Tequilla, and France has for Champagne and Cognac.

• Like 1

Twenty years ago living in the Black Forest I went to France (50 km) to buy my jasmin rice every month.

MyThai friends asked me where I buy this high quality of rice, in Thailand they didn't have.

I could confirm, at this time I never found this quality in Thailand, even in high class restaurants.

For seafood it was the same experience.

But then the EU stopped imports of prawns, too much chemicals.

Now I have good rice (herbal rice, organic rice) from our Coop (danish instructed manager), high price, but highest quality... and you are satisfied with 30% compared to

the common dead rice.

My seafood I buy in Burma, before it was the visa-run, now friends with seafood restaurants discovered the source.

Hard work for the Gov to correct it. Lobsters from (If they have) Dubai only for the sister crab?

Some people might remember 05-08 Thai Rice Millers came under firs for putting in LOWER GRADES of rice in their highest grade Thai Jasmine bags and selling it - overseas. Right there Vietnam picked up a good 20 per cent of the high grade jasmine market. Seattle Asian food mart Uwajimaya had a running spat because of the Thai Jasmine it bought being in reality lower grade. They started promoting Vietnamese Jasmine to their customers And now this .... its like shooting yourself in the foot two times

Yes, but to most Thai's all foreigners are stupid so they probably believed it wouldn't be noticed. The stupidity and greed of some people seems to know no bounds.

rice is extremely easy to separate, but i can easily believe that this type of arrogance has happened.

There are so few grades and qualities that a beginner could probably become expert in a few months.

Nothing actually. I apprehensively admit I worked as a chef prior to coming to Thailand and having to work as an English Teacher. Basmati rice and Thai Jasmine rice are both "world renowned" as very fragrant rices but each is their own animal and suited for completely different styles of cooking. Basmati is not as starchy, and doesn't stick to it's own grains as much as the Jasmine rice does so you can get the multi colored effect you see in dishes like Biriyani from layering rice and seasoning. It also is better for eating thick Indian style curries with Naan or other Indian Flatbreads. Jasmine on the other hand is great when a watery Thai curry is spooned over the top and is more satiating for the higher starch content which is why you'll see a lot more potatoes in Indian dishes then in Thai dishes, as well as the absence of bread for the most part.

I'm surprised Thailand never bothered to get a proper trade agreement localizing the name "Jasmine" to protect it's interests the way Mexico has for Tequilla, and France has for Champagne and Cognac.

I hope you don't teach grammar and punctuation. whistling.gif

-mel. ;)

Because, all along, the same genus of rice was being grown throughout the entire delta, Cambodia and Vietnam included.

True hom mali only makes up a small part of all the exports, and us mainly grown in isaan where it isn't lost on most that the investment in irrigation has been relatively low.

Another short sighted effort from successive governments. Why they didn't put more effort into hom mali in isaan instead of the less valuable types from the centre of the country who knows.

But, roi et is a lot harder to get to than ayuttaya.

Because, all along, the same genus of rice was being grown throughout the entire delta, Cambodia and Vietnam included.

True hom mali only makes up a small part of all the exports, and us mainly grown in isaan where it isn't lost on most that the investment in irrigation has been relatively low.

Another short sighted effort from successive governments. Why they didn't put more effort into hom mali in isaan instead of the less valuable types from the centre of the country who knows.

But, roi et is a lot harder to get to than ayuttaya.

The reason it is harder to get to is the same as the lack of irrigation investment - it's an uphill slog.