Which Is Better...thai Price Tag Vs British Quality?

krisb

Me personally, Ive had a fake Omega watch now for over 6.5 years and it looses perhaps 45minutes a year. Pretty good considering the Thai price tag. Looks wise, pretty good also, Im regularly asked about my watch, if only they knew it wasnt the real deal. Therefore, Id take Thai price over British quality anyday.

How bout you?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, i rather pay extra for quality. There might be exceptions but not often.

Problem is however finding good quality as price does not always mean better quality.

So you start off with British quality, but end with Thai price tag. So thats another for Thai prices yeah?

Thai price is fine for anything where safety and security isn't a concern. Start on tools, electrical appliances safety devices and give me western (not just UK) Quality everytime. Classic example I use an adaptor to plug my UK plug into my Thai socket, these adaptors last 2-3 weeks before they melt because a cheap inferior metal is used on the contacts that heats up and causes the shell to melt. Similar item bought in UK is now 2 years old.

• Like 2

In general, i rather pay extra for quality. There might be exceptions but not often.

Problem is however finding good quality as price does not always mean better quality.

So you start off with British quality, but end with Thai price tag. So thats another for Thai prices yeah?

Not really, as i go for the expensive kind of things, imported an expensive rowing machine as i did not want crappy Thai quality. I have expensive fishing reels as i like good quality.

If i don't care much about it .. thai price is ok. If like RabC says its about safety or stuff that needs to last.. i go for quality.

Thai price is fine for anything where safety and security isn't a concern. Start on tools, electrical appliances safety devices and give me western (not just UK) Quality everytime. Classic example I use an adaptor to plug my UK plug into my Thai socket, these adaptors last 2-3 weeks before they melt because a cheap inferior metal is used on the contacts that heats up and causes the shell to melt. Similar item bought in UK is now 2 years old.

Ok tthen, Im a tradesman, we use Makita grinding disks here in Aus which are made in Thailand. So that kind of throws the safety security thing out the window. Now the adapter you mention I also have a Thai 1 and its been fine for ages now and the UK adapter you have, was it made in UK?

Ok tthen, Im a tradesman, we use Makita grinding disks here in Aus which are made in Thailand. So that kind of throws the safety security thing out the window. Now the adapter you mention I also have a Thai 1 and its been fine for ages now and the UK adapter you have, was it made in UK?

Kris, do makita grinding disks cost a lot less as other disks ore not ? f not then its not Thai price, as far as i know about Makita is that is a great brand that is certainly not cheap. I don't care where something is made i care about the quality of it. If its Thai and quality im happy to buy it.

Me personally, Ive had a fake Omega watch now for over 6.5 years and it looses perhaps 45minutes a year. Pretty good considering the Thai price tag. Looks wise, pretty good also, Im regularly asked about my watch, if only they knew it wasnt the real deal. Therefore, Id take Thai price over British quality anyday.

How bout you?

Omega is NOT British, it is SWISS!!!! tongue.png

but I agree that British has not mich of a quality, thus i would also choose Thai price biggrin.png

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes Swiss quality safe's to store your Natzi gold in. I agree, the Swiss have quality stuff. (joke aside Swiss are renowned for their watches and chocolate)

How bout you?

Omega is NOT British, it is SWISS!!!! tongue.png

but I agree that British has not mich of a quality, thus i would also choose Thai price biggrin.png

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes Swiss quality safe's to store your Natzi gold in. I agree, the Swiss have quality stuff. (joke aside Swiss are renowned for their watches and chocolate)

Much better than British chocolate Id saywink.png

Kris, do makita grinding disks cost a lot less as other disks ore not ? f not then its not Thai price, as far as i know about Makita is that is a great brand that is certainly not cheap. I don't care where something is made i care about the quality of it. If its Thai and quality im happy to buy it.

No they arent cheaper at all, but then it shows Thai quality. Makita is up there with the best.

@KRISB

But then it invalidates your whole topic as i thought this was about cheap Thai quality vs expensive (often foreign) quality.

I don't care where the quality comes from if its Thai id still buy it if its quality, i am prepared to pay extra for quality. Not for all things and up to a certain limit. I just hate cheap stuff that breaks down easy.. in the end you pay more anyway.

My dad was fixing my bathroom up, and he was complaining about quality of threads here. We bought some pipes with threads and they kept leaking even though it was the correct size and we used teflon tape and such. Its just often not the same quality as back home. There is much more variation in the "correct" size. These things suck as it cost much more time and annoyance.

Thai price vs. British quality? Hmmm...you mean like Thai engineering vs. British engineering? I heard that the Thai automotive industry is winning the war with the English automotive industry. I wish someone would start a thread about that. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

For me its actually about quality vs crap no matter where it comes from. I prefer to pay extra for quality if its that much better and more useful.

I won't buy stuff just because it has a brand name and i want to show it off, it must really be better and give me more pleasure or last longer to justify the difference in price.

I do find it hard to find good quality of many things in Thailand mainly because i was not born here and price usually does not mean its better. I really would pay extra for stuff.

We were tiling a bathroom, and could not find a saw to make holes in tiles (for drains and such) while these diamand hole saws are everywhere in the Netherlands and i suspect UK and USA too. I went to home pro / thai watsado and quite a few other shops.. no where to be found.

Thai price vs. British quality? Hmmm...you mean like Thai engineering vs. British engineering? I heard that the Thai automotive industry is winning the war with the English automotive industry. I wish someone would start a thread about that. thumbsup.gif

What percentage of cars built in either Thailand or Britain were "engineered" there? What percentage are actually "foreign cars" even in those countries? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 1/2 of the cars built in the US are German or Japanese. To get a good small pickup truck on the road, Ford had to partner with Mazda back in the 70's and the Ford was a rebranded Mazda. When it comes to autos, I'd say the Germans and the Japanese are the engineers. Toss a bone to the S. Koreans too. Their cars are now world class if not yet recognized.

• Like 2

Ridiculous thread.

If you disagree then please post a non subjective working definition for quality.

Since you felt you had to metion it,

You can not separate the process and the human factor, therefore I believe that Quality, when built into a product, generates emotions and feelings within those who have taken part in it's creation. When you have made something that you are proud of, when you have produced a product that brings smiles to your customers, then you have achieved Quality. You'll know it, they'll know it, and each of you will prosper from it.

In conclusion, seperating price and quality in essence cannot always be differentiated therefore Thai price and quality will always beat British.

Edited by krisb

Of course you are going to claim a crap copy watch is better than the original if you can't afford it. So you want the prestige, and are happy to hear comments that your 'Omega" is nice, so what is the point of the thread??

the decent omega replica are imported from china. the real ones are assembled in swiss. nothing to do with thai or british

With Omega, they use a base ETA (Eterna) ebauche. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebauche

Long story short. Omega is owned by the Swatch group. Swatch owns ETA (Eterna). ETA makes the basic movement for the watch (called the ebauche) then sells them to other watchmakers who, basically, "fancy them up" and then put the movements in their own cases.

So the same basic movement (the ETA) found in the Omega is the same movement found in other watches either owned by the Swatch group, or bought by other companies. (ETA sells movements to other watch companies outside of the Swatch group.)

The high end Chinese copies that you see, actually use Swiss made ETA movements. So while they are "fake" in that they are not made by Omega, they actually use the same basic movement as the actual Omega.

Even the lower end Chinese copies using a Chinese made movement, the movement is based on the Swiss movement design. So they're copied after the Swiss movement, even if not actually using a Swiss built movement. Chinese are good at seeing a good working design---and copying it.

• Like 1

It seems that this might be an attempt by an Aussie to have a bash at The British by comparing a Swiss product with a Thai Price. Very interesting how he managed to come up with this idea. As for the Omega watch, give me the real thing over any cheap imitation.

Edited by mrtoad

@krisb:

The Omega mentioned in the OP as an example, was it made in Thailand or just bought here? Don't think you will find a country of manufacture on it..................rolleyes.gif

But that to one side and trying to answer your question, if I am buying something that will be constantly used or is involved with safety aspects (tools, electrical, etc) I will in most cases opt for a known brand name. Note, the brand name does not have to be Western...........thumbsup.gif

If it is consumables, then almost 100%, it will be local purchase. But, as in where your Omega came from, the origin of the consumables could come into question.

Probably not. But the importers would soon pull the plug (intended pun) if the product were substandard.

If someone were to tell me that chinese products intended for export to Europe and USA failed quality/safety contol tests, were then diverted to Thailand, I would believe it. A good way for the chinese manufacturers to avoid a total loss.

Thai automotive industry??

You mean foreign brands that build factories here with foreign quality control?

• Like 1