Insulation

h90

post-15378-1141109676_thumb.jpgpost-15378-1141109582_thumb.jpg

yes I got my house sprayed with foam and also got a electric fan extractor that has a temp switch set at 30 deg to extract the air out of the roof space with a small plastic extract comming out at the overhang of the roof so it looks nice but it works very well.

Hi Scotsman,

I've been looking all over CMai for an 'electric fan extractor that has a temp switch'. Was wondering what was the price, where did you buy it; and, would appreciate any photos of it with one of the extract exiting at the roof overhang. Thanks in advance. Tango.

I hope this pictures will help you

El Kangarito is right.....your arrangement I'm afraid looks almost bizarrelly inefficient and undersized, and wrongly placed.

I just don't get why you want to run a fan when natural convection will do the work for you.

All you have to do is put the ingress and egress ducts in the right places....low and high....and big as possible. If you draw the ingress air through your rooms as I explained in a previous post you will also keep those rooms at the outside ambient temperature.

If you have a simple pitched roof you can put your egress ducts at the ends up high. If you have a gable roof you might consider special vent tiles or better still a seperate "raised doubled roof" section as seen on old fashioned Thai houses where there is a vent all the way round and under the raised section.

Well it workes very well I can tell you and the german company who installed this fan extractor also spray foamed the roof and later installed my windows. They know what they are doing when it comes to insulation. As I said the fan is installed high enough as my house is only a 2 bedroom bungalow the roof is not that high. The minimal cost of electric to pump out the hot air so that cooler air can come in works well for me. But if some wants to do it there way then its what ever makes you happy. :o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it workes very well I can tell you and the german company who installed this fan extractor also spray foamed the roof and later installed my windows. They know what they are doing when it comes to insulation. As I said the fan is installed high enough as my house is only a 2 bedroom bungalow the roof is not that high. The minimal cost of electric to pump out the hot air so that cooler air can come in works well for me. But if some wants to do it there way then its what ever makes you happy. :D

There's so many ways to be cool :o

It just depends how far you wont to go, working with what you have got, believe - as stated above, Scotsman's "system' would work fine - even if, from a Engineering point of view it's not perfect. :D

Preplanning is the key, something local builders barely do, the more natural cool air flow the better, though you will doutless reach a point where it wouldn't be noticable.

Consideration should also be given to the tile material and colour, blue tiles being the coolest! :D

yes I got my house sprayed with foam and also got a electric fan extractor that has a temp switch set at 30 deg to extract the air out of the roof space with a small plastic extract comming out at the overhang of the roof so it looks nice but it works very well.

Hi Scotsman,

I've been looking all over CMai for an 'electric fan extractor that has a temp switch'. Was wondering what was the price, where did you buy it; and, would appreciate any photos of it with one of the extract exiting at the roof overhang. Thanks in advance. Tango.

Thanks Scotsman. Just what I needed. When you mentioned earlier it was a German company I was expecting the price to be high. Nonetheless it looks good and, more importantly, works. You opened a great dialog - you've stood your ground admirably. Regards. Tango

Hi Scotsman,

El Kangarito is right.....your arrangement I'm afraid looks almost bizarrelly inefficient and undersized, and wrongly placed.

I just don't get why you want to run a fan when natural convection will do the work for you.

All you have to do is put the ingress and egress ducts in the right places....low and high....and big as possible. If you draw the ingress air through your rooms as I explained in a previous post you will also keep those rooms at the outside ambient temperature.

If you have a simple pitched roof you can put your egress ducts at the ends up high. If you have a gable roof you might consider special vent tiles or better still a seperate "raised doubled roof" section as seen on old fashioned Thai houses where there is a vent all the way round and under the raised section.

Thanks for your input "sleepyjohn".

I'll be buggered why some people worry about the look of their roofs!! Are there "roof police" that patrol Thailand, constantly checking on "unsightly roof ornaments"? Or would one like to save $ with something like "FREE convection cooling"? Of course, these things are 'personal' issues but I don't think I'd be happy to pay extra dollars to keep people happy by the "appearance" of my roof devices. Of course, there is the exeption to this. If the "concerned roof judges" are willing to pay for the installation of these unnecessary devices & also the running costs of the "acceptable" roof devices, then I would be absolutely ammenable to having a "roof" fan/device.

Edited by elkangorito