Change Gearbox Oil

Thaising

I change ATF when I feel like the acceleration has become noticeably slow. Perhaps once every 30 - 40K km or once in two years. Sometimes with flushing when I haven't changed it for more than 50K km.

Edited by Nordlys

Hello.. the dealer changes gear box oil every x0,000 kilometers as per the maintenance manual. Same with differential oil and any other kind of oil right down to the oil I use when deep frying crickets.

No oil lasts forever. in fact, nothing is permanent. :o

No oil lasts forever.

How about the brake fluid? I heard it does not have to be changed in the usual life cycle of a car but to refill only when there is a leak. Is this wrong?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water), should be changed every two years or as recommended in your service manual.

If it absorbs too much water it will boil under heavy braking and lead to brake fade.

I change my ATF every major service, city driving kills the stuff. The only oil that doesn't get changed is the power steering fluid.

Edited by Crossy

For a two wheel drive vehicle, you usually don't need to change the oil in the differential for the lifetime of the car. If you hit a nasty pothole you'd better check to make sure you don't develop a leak in the differential.

Changing gearbox oil in a manual transmission is pretty easy. The only difficult part is adding the new oil since it must be put in the side of the gearbox via a plastic tube.

For those who have manual gearboxes, how often do you change your oil?