Cost Of Living In Thailand And Philippines

Maramook

How hard is it to learn Filipino??

Really hard as that isn't a language. coffee1.gif

Thanks Jing for picking me up on that.

I will rephrase my question.

What is the national language of the Philippines and how hard is it to learn?

there is more than one, but for communication mostly Tagalog is spoken easier than Thai,

but as many have said, you can get by on English only, in all of the Cities in Pl

How hard is it to learn Filipino??

Really hard as that isn't a language. coffee1.gif

Thanks Jing for picking me up on that.

I will rephrase my question.

What is the national language of the Philippines and how hard is it to learn?

Tagalog is the national language..its a mix of Spanish... Malay and Polynesian.... not so hard to learn.... I lived and was married in the Phils. .. fact is all politicians and Govt officials have to be fluent in English..... I still have many powerful friends and family there... When I annulled the marriage the family didnt cause trouble.....quite the opposite

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where did you live there? Manila is quite dangerous, I agree, I heard about that numerous times. I wonder, are the other places such as Dumagete, Sebu, Palavan, Borokay dangerous as well?

Cebu is dangerous too. You can be killed in the center of Cebu during nighttime even in good city quarters. You should allways use a taxi. Taxis are very cheap.

Generally imo PI are cheaper than TH, but less compfort, less security. Food not so good, but ok, I don't like Thai food too. Big advantage is that the Philippinos are speaking mostly excellent English. Hotels at same price level, but less quality. People more educated and friendly than Thais. Thais are smiling even when they want to kill you 10 minutes later smile.png. Phillipinos have more temperament. Their way of thinking is bit more European. They are not as lazy like Thais.

PI I found taxis to be of poor quality, difficult to find one this was in Manila and Cebu, the local food is crap. Filipinos have more temperament?? I have to totally disagree with this point as Ive witnessed the fiery temperament of filipinos both male and female, they have no problem flying off the handle for anything. Business hours are 9-5 unlike Thailand where everything is still open all hours, getting frisked every time you go to a shopping mall and greeted by shotgun weilding security guards sends a clear message.

the dude was always under the impression that cost of living in poor countries was less than the usa because exchange rates yield so much of said poor countries currency when a US clam is exchanged. The dude posed this to his guatemalan worker in the 90s. said worker told the dude that costs were the same in both countries. same could be said in general when comparing thai and pi the dude thinks. dig?

This means what in English or Tagalog for that matter? Please translaye for us oldies that can only speak English.

• Like 1

Very good article on PI and LOS comparison. I too am going to the PI to live and have done my time in Thailand. Thailand beats them hands down on the food and infrastructure for sure. The rest of the costs comparison are minimal. The people are the most important reason to move to the PI. In the provinces it is safe and the people always friendly, genuine and can actually speak English without claiming to have majored in English and still need a Translator. I also enjoy the variety of 7,000 islands at my disposal to tour. There are high elevations, jungle, pristine coastlines, springs hot and cold, tropical fruits, seafood, cheap beer etc.

Both places good and bad.....and cost totally dependent on where and how you live. When I was younger and more adventurous I lived in a remote area of the northern Luzon mountains in a grass shack and was living on pennies.....growing my own food, going to the nearest big village once a month to stock up.....a simple and cheap life especially with a 19 yr old GF.

Then I moved to Baguio city and my expenses increased 5X.....but still cheap. Then I moved to a bar town and my expenses were the same as Pattaya.

Same same can be done here, but bottom line, unless you grow and cook your own food, you get much better value here and a lot more comfort. Now I'm older and want more comfort, but it's costing me, here.

Regarding the language.....It is so refreshing to be able to speak to most people you encounter in daily life and you get the illusion that they understand you, but here in LOS....there are no illusions. They will never understand you.

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 2

the dude was always under the impression that cost of living in poor countries was less than the usa because exchange rates yield so much of said poor countries currency when a US clam is exchanged. The dude posed this to his guatemalan worker in the 90s. said worker told the dude that costs were the same in both countries. same could be said in general when comparing thai and pi the dude thinks. dig?

ah digs dat da dude was bulled too much because he had no idea what the prices over there in Quetzals were and how many Quetzals one got for a US clam.

• 2 weeks later...

It's natural to compare the 2 places...I have done business in both places and have always compared it for my own choice...for now CM is still the winner...

Advantage PI

- Uncomplicated retirement or long stay Visa

- English spoken everywhere even in the provinces

- Less social comparison pressures

- Very friendly people

- No smog (Applicable in CM) in the provinces

Advantage TH

- Cheap Hotel Food

- Western imported comforts

- General better flight / town & markets

- More food delivery options

- Banking

- Mobile phone shops :-)

Tie

- Both have great friendly people although personal opinion PI are less judgemental than Thais

- Ladies are easy to court if done right by the gentleman

- Night entertainment options

- TV / Cable / Internet

IMO from personal experience, it is more costly to live there and more problematic.

Harder to get around and everything in general is harder

My experience was different. Easy to get around on Jeepneys (smiliar to baht busses.) but beware of pick pockets...

Most Philipinos speak english so there was no language barriier, easy to ask directions, etc.

The down sides are relatively poor infastructure, fewer atms and not the abundance of good street food as in Thailand.

Hotels are more expensive but the beer is cheaper :)

Just spent a week in Manila for work and although it wasn't lengthy enough to make a solid opinion, I have to say that the Filipinos were friendlier (genuinely), sharper and generally more pleasant. The average security guard in Bangkok can blow a whistle and drool. Ask him a question (yes, in Thai for those who will no doubt challenge this) and they will either give you the wrong answer or shrug their shoulders. In Manila the security guards were smiling, knowledgeable and most of all helpful. Hotel staff were similar, as both are generally educated, but the Filipinos had a great sense of humour and were more willing to have some fun. Frankly I am tired of grumpy Thai hotel staff that behave as though they are doing you a favour by checking you in.

Lastly, in department stores staff actually know something about what they are selling as opposed to the neanderthals in Central, Emporium, Tesco etc. who are barely able to tear themselves away from their conversations/phones long enough to tell you "oh ho, solly sir, no have", - translation: I am far too lazy to help you and would rather go back to doing nothing.

I agree. For all the famed "Land of Smiles" reputation, I've found Filipinos to be much more friendly and interested in the outside world, little wonder as Oversease workers are their main export :)

In relation ship terms, most Thai women prefer to hae their man live in Thailand. In the Phils, they want out of Dodge, and would happily accompany their guy to an igloo in Alaska, LOL.

There are scams in the Phils too and grumpy expats that were done wrong by Filipinas (same same but different.)

In general, I've found the Filipinos to "get" western culture more that their Thai counterparts.

The Philippines is certainly not perfect but give it a try and decide for your self :)

• Like 2

I found the Philippines to be quite a bit more expensive than Thailand, but then the PI's are scattered and I don't know the best places to go.

If you could live on beer, wine, and cigarettes the PI would be a lot cheaper, LOL. Otherwise, I found everything from food to housing to utilities to consumer goods to cost more in $US than Chiang Mai. Maybe 10 - 15% more at least.

If someone knows of a nice but more rural, and cheaper place in the PI that still has decent infrastructure like good internet etc. in PI speak up. I like the PI's in a lot of ways.

I don't really need cheaper living, but I also hate to waste money. I also (just for me) don't have a great deal of confidence in the US dollar or the Euro, so long term I want to hedge against that by saving quite a bit.

Where did you live there? Manila is quite dangerous, I agree, I heard about that numerous times. I wonder, are the other places such as Dumagete, Sebu, Palavan, Borokay dangerous as well?

Cebu is dangerous too. You can be killed in the center of Cebu during nighttime even in good city quarters. You should allways use a taxi. Taxis are very cheap.

Generally imo PI are cheaper than TH, but less compfort, less security. Food not so good, but ok, I don't like Thai food too. Big advantage is that the Philippinos are speaking mostly excellent English. Hotels at same price level, but less quality. People more educated and friendly than Thais. Thais are smiling even when they want to kill you 10 minutes later smile.png. Phillipinos have more temperament. Their way of thinking is bit more European. They are not as lazy like Thais.

<deleted>? You live in Thailand but do not like Thai food. Different strokes for different folks, but if you cannot find a type of Thai food that you like I would hate to see what you consider good food.

<deleted>? You live in Thailand but do not like Thai food. Different strokes for different folks, but if you cannot find a type of Thai food that you like I would hate to see what you consider good food.

Other than some fresh fruits and vegetables, I don't like most Thai food unless I buy it in the West. I find low quality meat fried in low quality oil and poor sanitation even in restaurants. Forget the street food. When I'm in LOS my first concern is that I be able to cook. Even then I'm concerned about hygiene, pesticides and herbicides. Thai food tastes really good if I don't think about what's in it.

• Like 1

I know of a good source for on the ground Expat experience in the Philippines... http://asia.groups.yahoo.com/group/philventures/ I have monitored this group for several months - hundreds and hundreds of posts... This seven year old group is made up of Expats who have been farming and ranching of sorts, plus engaging in forestry in the Philippines for a number of years. They give a Provincial experience point of view... And it is obvious that they have learned a lot. The posted observations are most often supported by other members with similar experiences.

Overall the positives must somehow out weight the negatives or most would be gone. But there seems to be a number of negatives. Clear pictures have been painted by the various posts that: (Remember this is a Provincial perspective - NOT urban Philippines.)

- Relationships with relatives were very often bad - basically the norm... petty jealousies, business relationships often soured, always wanting money - expecting money - demanding money

- Neighbors steal live stock routinely, squatters are the norm. theft of produce in the fields rampant, property boundaries violated,

- Court system totally biased against Expats ... total waste of time to pursue

- Workers of most any nature cannot be relied upon --

- Dogs, sheep, goats, pigs left in the care of workers or relatives were neglected and often died or disappeared.

- Money set aside or sent (to workers or relatives) for care of the farm estate in behalf of the Expat owner in his absence back home - was squandered - animals starved - fields neglected

- Produce - Animal wholesalers / brokers routinely cheat the Expats at every turn.

- Trees raised as a forestry product are cut down and stolen

- Wives and other relatives connive and steal the Expats land via backdoor legal maneuvers

- Visa/Immigration problems do not appear to be much of a concern.

- Living on one of the remote isolated islands can be done - but foolhardy at best - pirates routinely raid and kill - no police followup

- Typical police / public official graft and corruption. Police protection - not relied upon.

- A farmer can own a shotgun - but licensing can result in a bribe having to be given - even though it is legal - same for vehicles.

- English everywhere is a big plus.

- Property crime of all nature is a serious problem unless protected by trusted guards

Generally imo PI are cheaper than TH, but less compfort, less security. Food not so good, but ok, I don't like Thai food too. Big advantage is that the Philippinos are speaking mostly excellent English. Hotels at same price level, but less quality. People more educated and friendly than Thais. Thais are smiling even when they want to kill you 10 minutes later :). Phillipinos have more temperament. Their way of thinking is bit more European. They are not as lazy like Thais.

ok lets see first its Filipinos....they mould themselves on US culture not european. many asian countries have violent areas and all you need is good sense. I lived there for12 yrs and was married into a very powerful family who were as good as untouchable. I managed to buy property easily 845 sq mts 5 bedrooms. .Pool with a hot spring tub. a steal at 8 million peso. Borakay is purely a tourist zone for foreigners and Filipinos alike. They are a tad hot headed more so than Thais but that I think is the Latin temprament mixed with Malay and Polynesian culture. But from my experience I found Filipinos more willing to help you rather than ridicule you like Thais do.... just from my experience in the Phils . I still have many friends there and get mail on a regular basis...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok lets see first its Filipinos....they mould themselves on US culture not european. many asian countries have violent areas and all you need is good sense. I lived there for12 yrs and was married into a very powerful family who were as good as untouchable. I managed to buy property easily 845 sq mts 5 bedrooms. .Pool with a hot spring tub. a steal at 8 million peso. Borakay is purely a tourist zone for foreigners and Filipinos alike. They are a tad hot headed more so than Thais but that I think is the Latin temprament mixed with Malay and Polynesian culture. But from my experience I found Filipinos more willing to help you rather than ridicule you like Thais do.... just from my experience in the Phils . I still have many friends there and get mail on a regular basis...

So you can own land in the RP? I thought that rule was the same as Thailand

Careful that powerful family does not get p**ed off at you also.

Warren Rodwell's cost of living skyrocketed when his captors kidnapped him and demanded a ridiculously high ransom. Cant say I'm a fan of the Abu Sayif diet ....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/rodwell-released-by-islamic-militant-captors-in-the-philippines/story-e6frg6nf-1226603960373

Rodwell infamously told his wife that he 'could handle himself' shortly before his capture roughly 15 months ago - I wonder if he feels the same level of bravado now.

I'm surprised so many people seem to think that retirement visas in the RP are easier/cheaper than here.

From what I have seen the Thai system of one bank deposit of 800KB (or declared income to the same amount or combination thereof) plus a single yearly fee of a couple of thousand Baht, two photos and one application form seems to be many times easier and less costly than the Filipino version. In fact as far as I can see it is the simplest and cheapest retirement visa system in the world.

And it seems to be generally forgotten that if you live in the RP you may have to pay a lot more income tax than a retired person can legally pay here (zero).