Hotel Booking - Agoda ?

Blackandwhite

I would agree with David's suggestion, although I also check on latestays.com and have used them in the past and found them to be very reliable. Unlike hotelscombined the prices displayed do not include taxes etc. but I like the way they display the prices for each of the days for the forthcoming 2 weeks or so.

Something else to remember, I have got so used to using an online booking service that I often forget to check the hotel website to see what deals are available. On a couple of occasions recently I could have got the same deal or better by actually booking directly with the hotel via their website rather than with hotelscombined or latestays.

I used Agoda to book a hotel in Bang Saen, when I arrived and showed the Agoda booking slip, the hotel employee didn't understand and tried to re-bill my credit card. Upon seeing the slip and refusing to sign I realised that I would have paid over 10% less if I hadn't booked through Agoda. This is despite Agoda advertising that they offer reduced rates. Weird.

Some good suggestions there and I agree with the find the best available price and then get the Hotel to better it.

Sometimes they can and the discount is usually in the range of 5-10%

HOWEVER ... if it's peak season e.g. Loy Kathong in Chiang Mai ... we tried this, got a lower rate ... got phoned 3 times by the Hotel to confirm the booking ... and the last phone call was to inform us that he had been 'upgraded' to their sister hotel around the corner.

Upgraded my ass ... dry.png

But the hotel was of the same standard as the one booked and an extra 150 metres walking, but no bath and we especially bougth some bubble bath for the Farm Mother who is used to showering under a cold bucket of water ... but that's life in Thailand.

OH ... also try wotif.com as they have some deals that others don't ... their black specials where they don't tell you the name of the hotel ... but usually it's an excellent deal for a cheap price.

I've used the black specials maybe 20 times ... and only once was it a dud.

Here is an example of one deal currently in the Silom/Sathorn Rd area.

I used Agoda to book a hotel in Bang Saen, when I arrived and showed the Agoda booking slip, the hotel employee didn't understand and tried to re-bill my credit card. Upon seeing the slip and refusing to sign I realised that I would have paid over 10% less if I hadn't booked through Agoda. This is despite Agoda advertising that they offer reduced rates. Weird.

I always also check the hotel webiste, if they have any. Often you can get the same deal or even better. And if you call them maybe even slightly better.

Regarding Agoda, I'm not impressed with their service. They tell you can fill in a webform for service, but you never get a reply. The telephone support is OK, but offering the webform and not answering it made me an unhappy costumer.

• Like 2

A few months ago I booked a hotel with Agoda and I had the option of a room with a double bed at USD "X" or a room with twin beds at a slightly cheaper rate. I booked the double, arrived at the hotel and a really moody receptionist told me they only had a twin bed room on the g/f available. Despite explaining to the receptionist that I had paid extra for a room with a double bed and so that was what i expected, it seemed they were genuinely full and that was the only room available. The receptionist was suggesting they had never received the booking form from Agoda. It was around 9pm and I'd been travelling for half the day so I wasn't in the best mood either and so I wasn't prepared to settle for second best (so to speak). I called the Agoda helpline, my call was answered quite quickly and I explained the situation. The customer service guy then asked to speak to the receptionist, ascertained that the only choice was either the g/f twin bed room or an upgrade to a suite and immediately told them to upgrade me to a suite, no further questions asked. I was very impressed with the level of customer service and could not have asked for more.

The receptionist was clearly unhappy about this, even though I had remained polite during the whole episode, and after hanging up she told me that "She" had decided to upgrade me to a suite and just to prove what a complete bitch she was, as she handed me the key she told me that the suite rooms have 2 air-cons, one in the bedroom and one in the living room... I could only use the one in the bedroom! Lol... She then told the bell boy to disable the air-con in the living room... Hahaha... I was chuckling all the way to the room.

Once again, I give Agoda a big thumbs up for the way they handled it.

• Like 1

I have found that if you use the hotel's website you usually get a better quality of room for a similar price, and you are treated nicer upon arrival. Often when you prepay on Agoda or another site, the hotel sees you as being locked-in for x days and a cheapscate and treats you as such.

Find a good price then quote it to the hotel. Even if they only match the price you will have the benefit of checking a few more details direct with the supplier - I find the website booking forms leave too much guesswork about bed size (twin /double/queen/king) and how the extra bed for an older child will work out, for instance. Others will have different preferences that the webistes cant address (nearest karaoke stumbling distance?)

www.trivago.com

Check these guys out. Why didnt someone think of this earlier.

Kris ... I gave them a try, nice layout ... but Hotelscombined works better for me.

The reason being is that, like many here, I prefer the lower Sukhumvit area to stay in and I couldn't discover how to change to different geographical areas of Bangkok.

www.trivago.com

Check these guys out. Why didnt someone think of this earlier.

Kris ... I gave them a try, nice layout ... but Hotelscombined works better for me.

The reason being is that, like many here, I prefer the lower Sukhumvit area to stay in and I couldn't discover how to change to different geographical areas of Bangkok.

Your right David. Ive always used Agoda as it can bring up the area you are looking for same. I had a bit of a play with Trivago and if you type Sukhumvit it brings up the area kind of.

When traveling in Thailand I often have to change the arrival date even several times. I now mostly use Booking.com as they allow for cancellations on most hotels up to 3 days prior to the check-in date. I used to prefer to book directly with the hotel but then had several bad experiences. Many of the hotels sites especially in Thailand allow you to make an automated booking but to cancel or change it is submit a request and then they will get back to you via email. Anymore, no thanks.

I have found that if you use the hotel's website you usually get a better quality of room for a similar price

We all have different experiences, but I find the exact opposite actually in Thailand but it is often true in Singapore though.

Dealing with some nice(ish) (5000B ish) hotels in Thailand directly when I had chances was a complete night mare, they just ignore emails. Going through a reputably agents site like many of them mentioned here has saved me allot of problems and frustration.

If you have flights out of swampy during the red eye period, you just can't beat a site like agoda to see a room at a genuine 70% discount to lay your head, I have never seen the same promotion on their web sites.

Different day, different hotel, different website.

​Same Same but different smile.png

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I just made a booking in a Camodian hotel, the hotel direct qouted $70 per night agoda $45 and free cancellation,if less than 24 hours before arrival they take just 1 night. I to find them the best although the points redemption system could be more flexible. I once was waiting for a ferry to go to samui, so got aircard out, booked room in samui, when i got there 3 hours later the owner had the fax and the room booked. Feed back should provide enough information about problem area's.

I have used Agoda to book hotels seven times here in Thailand. Most of them have been for hotels that had discounts at the time. Never had any problems with their service. I print out the voucher they send via email and present it at check-in. Never had any problems at check-in. I like their website layout and search methods. I'll look at the reviews for specific hotels on Agoda and check reviews on Tripadvisor for the same hotel. Once I find a hotel of interest, I do check that hotel's website. Many hotel websites have "special offers" pages with deals for early booking or booking for a certain number of nights. I have managed to get some decent deals that way also.

Different folks will often like different booking websites. Sometimes it can boil down to personal preference. I happen to like Agoda for their website layout and search setup. Has worked well for me.

The only problem I have with agoda is that when you search for a hotel you can only put 2 adults as the search therefor the price is not guaranteed, our booking for BK has gone a little wrong as the hotel now want to charge a breakfast fee for my daughter despite emailing agoda and asking about the booking of my daughter on the booking, they said to go ahead and book and they would add her to the booking. Now the hotel want to charge 300 baht for breakfast !!!!

If you know what websites allow you to book for the whole party rather than only two people please tell me.

The only problem I have with agoda is that when you search for a hotel you can only put 2 adults as the search therefor the price is not guaranteed, our booking for BK has gone a little wrong as the hotel now want to charge a breakfast fee for my daughter despite emailing agoda and asking about the booking of my daughter on the booking, they said to go ahead and book and they would add her to the booking. Now the hotel want to charge 300 baht for breakfast !!!!

If you know what websites allow you to book for the whole party rather than only two people please tell me.

agoda have now offer to pay the cost for this misunderstanding on our return to the Uk, the hotel itself have not been helpful regards this matter

When I travel to Bangkok from Chaing Ria I stay at the same hotel. I send an email requesting the days of stay. They answer the same day with a very reasonable rate. I pay cash on arrival. No problems and great service. The area I stay is 5 minutes walk from MBK.

I have found that if you use the hotel's website you usually get a better quality of room for a similar price, and you are treated nicer upon arrival. Often when you prepay on Agoda or another site, the hotel sees you as being locked-in for x days and a cheapscate and treats you as such.

I've never really noticed this...I think it has more to do with the class of room/suite one books rather than the sales channel one books through.