Immigration Free-For-All

mgbcnx

They could always dispense with 90 day reporting. Would free up a lot of resources, and it doesn't make any money. Just require notification of change of address to local office, or even to one's own embassy (since the ostensible reason is to know address in case of emergencies).

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 year extension for married & retired folk? Problem solved thumbsup.gif

Oops, that's too easy......

Yes indeed. I wouldn't mind paying 10,000 Baht for a 5 year visa, though I expect if a person wanted a multiple re-entry permit to go along with it, they wouldn't miss the opportunity to charge 3,800 Baht x 5 for it.

Someone with good Thai language skills should try contacting

Channel 3 or 7 news & see if they would be interested

Watching the news here seems they like to do a bunch of side interest deals.

Could be a good side bar piece.

" Chiang Mai Day Safari" or " Chiang Mai Has a New Zoo" :)

Don't know how you guys do it.

I stroll into my immigration whenever,never longer than 15 minutes for report.

30 minutes for annual extension.

A very pleasant experience to boot.

I've heard the various immigration departments called a lot of things but never "pleasant". 555

I've heard the various immigration departments called a lot of things but never "pleasant". 555

Pleasant is nothing, we have people who plan picnic days out there.

They'd do that but still have you in there looking at bank books & whatnot. The rub is they don't want it being too easy.

That would be Phuket Immigration as 30 Minutes for an annual retirement extension is not uncommon.

15 minutes for 90 reporting is also normal.

Perhaps in Patong, but it wasn't a few years back in Chalong. A good half a day and absolute chaos with hard nosed officers. FYI, reporting here before millions of fogies (whistling.gif) and Burmese descended on the place was five minutes tops.

They could always dispense with 90 day reporting. Would free up a lot of resources, and it doesn't make any money. Just require notification of change of address to local office, or even to one's own embassy (since the ostensible reason is to know address in case of emergencies).

The obvious option is online and have an email sent out to print and bung in the passport for perusal by officials as and when. However, since it's now making money for certain outfits, I doubt that'd happen... it'd be more like since it doesn't make money, they'll start charging!

Are you the same guy that posted last week how much he liked hanging out in the shopping malls??555

Seriously....are they still using the online queue system and is it working smooth?? and how much in advance do you have to book now??

One might even question the need for Re-Entry Permits at all ?

If I have a stamp in my passport, allowing me to stay until a date up-to a year ahead, why on earth do I need separate permission to re-enter the country ? It's not as if I'm working, and have to prove on departure that I've paid my taxes, or anything ! Extension of permission-to-stay should include re-entries up-to the permitted date !

Save a lot of paperwork, wouldn't it ?

+1

It could at least be like green card abandonment in the US

I think there is your going to be out of the country for more than3-6 months?

only then you file a amnesty paper.

But I agree short trips out of country should be exempt from causing any problems with your extension of stay here

If I have a stamp in my passport, allowing me to stay until a date up-to a year ahead, why on earth do I need separate permission to re-enter the country ? It's not as if I'm working, and have to prove on departure that I've paid my taxes, or anything ! Extension of permission-to-stay should include re-entries up-to the permitted date !

Being married to a Chinese national, when I go to China, I get their version of a 1 year marriage visa. Surprisingly, very little paper work is needed. I drop off my passport and supporting marriage docs. I return in 4 days for my passport. I get a 1 year residency permit even though I don't live there. It also includes unlimited re-entry and all for the cost of approx. 2000B. Unlike Thailand where you need to renew your extension up to 1 month before it expires, I can arrive any time in China before it expires, I just re-apply for a new 1 year residency permit.

Oops, that's too easy......

Yes indeed. I wouldn't mind paying 10,000 Baht for a 5 year visa, though I expect if a person wanted a multiple re-entry permit to go along with it, they wouldn't miss the opportunity to charge 3,800 Baht x 5 for it.

Logically, it's ridiculous for the need of a re-entry permit for someone given permission to stay. However, when it's logic vesus money and control, we know logic will never prevail.

• Like 2

I had an on-line appt. for last Friday and when I got served the officer asked me to come back on Monday to do my paperwork, there were others in the same situation that were also told the same.

Did they give you another appointment time, or did you just have to join the queue?

She told me to come back on Monday @ 2 and just come to her desk

Good job it wasn't the day your extension expired eh?

I always book on-line approx. a week in advance in case something like this happens. This was the first time it has but just as I'm always an hr. early for a flight and I'm never the one running thru the airport or stressed out (bring a book for both situations)

So basically the officer did nothing after you got to see him/her?

We're you served at the "booked" time of your appointment? Was your visa renewal paperwork correct?

With-in 15 min. I saw an officer who had me see a higher ranking official which was needed to do my paperwork (I was not only renewing but changing the type of annual visa). I did have all my paperwork but she asked for one more thing after she had already told me I would need to come back as it was close to 4 already (my appt. was at 3:30). It was esp. busy perhaps due to it being the week after the New Years holiday (not sure if or how many days they were closed).

Also as others have noted about all the cars and bikes parked all over the place (incl. the parking tic. stream running now). The large parking lot in the restaurant across the rd. is gated and there are a few spaces in the gas station that costs 30 bht so this might be a problem esp. for those driving a car in the future.

The Mess at Immigration is exactly why I never go there.

Flew down to Kuala Lumpur to get a new 15 month Non O visa. 5500 Bt. (12 months but if you step out just before it expires you get 90 more days) Thai Embassy, Take a "Q" number wait 30 minutes. Plenty of seating, Fluent English Thai speaker, Quickly looks over the paper work and out in 30 minutes.

Now for the Next 15 months I don't have to go to Immigration, Don't have to do 90 day check in's, can freely come and go without Rentry permits.

Life is good and my wife and I had a wonderful Holiday in Malaysia

Do you leave Thailand within the 15 months?

MSPain

This is the reason you need a re-entry permit - I think it is a Ministry which must change what is required.

Section 39 :

After having received permission for temporary entry into the Kingdom , if the alien leaves

the Kingdom it is considered that his temporary entry permit has expired. But , if prior to leaving the alien

is granted permission to return by the competent official , and the alien returning is not excluded from

entry under Section 12.and the period of time previously authorized has not expired , the alien shall be

authorized to stay in the Kingdom for the rest of the authorized time.

In asking permission for re – entry , the alien must submit an application in accordance with the

form and pay a fee in accordance with the rate and regulations as prescribed in the Ministerial

Regulations.

Edited by hml367

This is the reason you need a re-entry permit - I think it is a Ministry which must change what is required.

Section 39 :

After having received permission for temporary entry into the Kingdom , if the alien leaves

the Kingdom it is considered that his temporary entry permit has expired. But , if prior to leaving the alien

is granted permission to return by the competent official , and the alien returning is not excluded from

entry under Section 12.and the period of time previously authorized has not expired , the alien shall be

In asking permission for re – entry , the alien must submit an application in accordance with the

form and pay a fee in accordance with the rate and regulations as prescribed in the Ministerial

Regulations.

Depends on your visa. With mine I can come and go freely and often Enjoy the privilege

Section 39 :

Regulations.

Depends on your visa. With mine I can come and go freely and often Enjoy the privilege

Any visa with multi-entry would enjoy the same ?

If you do not go out of Thailand within 90 days, are you required to report?

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Has anybody had recent experience--say,in the last week or so? Is it still a case of the doors opening at 8:00 a.m., heavyweights and sharpest elbows bulldozing their way to the check-in desk, survival of the fittest?

I plan to be there at 7:30 tomorrow morning and dread the prospect. However, I must apply for a 365-day extension to my non-immigrant visa...

with the exception of an extreme minority, I've always found both the people waiting on you and the people waiting to be quite orderly and considerate.

in 6 years in chiang mai, I'm hard pressed to remember anyone shoving or cutting...I've seen cutting happen a couple times, but usually just to ask a very quick question or some such.

though to be fair to the OP, I usually show up after the doors open:)

Sent from my K-TOUCH W806 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by happysanook

One thing for certain is that the current system is terribly broken. And with all the new immigrants arriving, it will only get worse. Furthermore, that tiny old building was fine a number of years ago, but they desperately need a large, new building.

Yeah and consider how much money they are pulling in on a daily basis....it's not like they can't afford it

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

We're thinking about moving up there from Pattaya. Would using a Visa Service to renew my extension based on marriage lessen the hassle?

Edited by Replogle
  • Like 1

Just back from doing the 90 day report. I really do not understand what is going on there, and suspect it is as confusing for the staff.

I was told to get a number by one staff, which was a 5-- series (I presume for 90 day reports) and then waited ..... And waited ..... No sign of 5-- series numbers on the screens. Finally just went to the counter and in between the guy dealing with about 300 people I interrupted and asked what the system was. He looked at my number & just took my paperwork and did it on the spot. But waved away my request to understand the system for next time. So frustrating. And there were a few falang discussing a recent rejection by Bangkok of the CM Immigration request for a better building / more staff. Is this correct? Has Bangkok condemned all locals and the staff to this absurd situation for another few years?

Finally just went to the counter and in between the guy dealing with about 300 people I interrupted and asked what the system was.

This is the key to getting it done fast. Ask a simple question, which of course no-one can answer and rather than lose face just grab the paperwork and get rid of the trouble maker asking questions. biggrin.png

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

We're thinking about moving up there from Pattaya. Would using a Visa Service to renew my extension based on marriage lessen the hassle?

Yes without doubt.

just a slight digression picking up on another's comment... if I have a multi O extended by marriage, do I need a re entry permit, or is this covered by the 'mulit' bit?

Cheers... D.

If you have a one year extension based on marriage, then the answer is yes, you do need a re-entry permit.

But you only need it if you plan to go out of the country.

I thought i read a while back that the staff there have requested bigger and improved premises, but budgets are still controlled by bangkok, who refuse such requests.

I wonder why thaivisa themselves, considering their website name, can't do something about this. Image is important to all governments, and agencies in governments, and only organisations can put such pressure onto state enterprises and people.

Clearly (i drove past immigration today and saw masses of bikes and cars parked past the gates) there are way way way more people needing their services than the number of staff that exist to serve everybody.

Everybody at the moment is a loser, staff and foreigners alike. They must get an improved budget from bangkok, or take over responsibility for the budget from bangkok. I think thailand is ripe for decentralisation.

Why don't you make a run up to Bangkok and pitch your proposal to the head of the Ministry of the Interior

Check your directions and/or altitude - in either case, that would be a run DOWN to Bangkok ;-)