Man Wearing Afghan Uniform Kills British Soldier, Injures 6

News_Editor

Man wearing Afghan uniform kills British soldier, injures 6 < br />

2013-01-09 08:07:07 GMT+7 (ICT)

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- An unidentified gunman wearing an Afghan National Army uniform opened fire at coalition troops in southern Afghanistan on Monday, killing a British soldier and injuring at least six others, the British Ministry of Defense confirmed on Tuesday.

The incident occurred at Patrol Base Hazrat in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand Province when a suspected member of the Afghan National Army turned his weapon against a number of foreign troops, including British soldiers from 28 Engineer Regiment, attached to 21 Engineer Regimen.

"It is my painful duty to report the death of a soldier from 28 Engineer Regiment, who was shot and killed by a suspected member of the Afghan National Army at a patrol base in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand Province," Task Force Helmand spokesman Major Laurence Roche said, confirming the incident.

Roche added that it "is an extremely sad day for the Corps of Royal Engineers and everyone serving with Task Force Helmand. Our thoughts are with the soldier’s family and friends at this time."

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) also confirmed the attack, although it gave no other details. It is believed the Afghan soldier opened fire on both foreign and national soldiers, as six other British soldiers were also injured. They were airlifted from the area but did not suffer from life-threatening injuries. The attacker was shot and killed immediately after opening fire at the scene.

The attack comes as U.S. President Barack Obama is set to receive Afghan President Hamid Karzai during his official visit to Washington, D.C. this week, where they are expected to hold security talks.

According to NATO, over 60 soldiers were killed in 2012 in similar incidents in Afghanistan, which have been dubbed as 'insider attacks' or 'green on blue' attacks.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-01-09

• Like 1

Is this another one? There was a similar incident last Monday/Tuesday on the news. Hard to win a war if you don't know who the enemy is. Time to admit defeat and pull out before more senseless lives are lost.

The French army in Afghanistan have removed out of their bases all Afghans. Any Afghan,even in uniform,upon the approach of a French soldier now have to place their weapon on the ground. When the French are training Afghans now,they issue them with plastic replica AK47's Training on the workings of a real AK47 is done by other Afghans.

I do not beleive our politicians when they sprout about this conflict. They just fly in for photo oppertunities before elections.

I read books by men who have done the fighting. 3Para by Patric Bishop. Apache. The Killing Zone by Richard Dorney and many more.

Listened to an analysis on CNN on western forces withdrawal from Afghanistan. Said that foreign aid was seven times greater in monetary value than the Afghan GDP. So unless foreign aid is continued at the same level the Karzai government is domed to failure after 2014; that's putting aside the billions of dollars of aid being sent out of Afghanistan by corrupt officials. Best forecast was reversal to the situation after the Russians pulled out i.e. similar to Somalia, territory being carved up by the warlords and extremists.

Listened to an analysis on CNN on western forces withdrawal from Afghanistan. Said that foreign aid was seven times greater in monetary value than the Afghan GDP. So unless foreign aid is continued at the same level the Karzai government is domed to failure after 2014; that's putting aside the billions of dollars of aid being sent out of Afghanistan by corrupt officials. Best forecast was reversal to the situation after the Russians pulled out i.e. similar to Somalia, territory being carved up by the warlords and extremists.

Foreign aid does not justify foreign occupation.

End occupation and no foreign soldier will die. Easy as that.

Is this another one? There was a similar incident last Monday/Tuesday on the news. Hard to win a war if you don't know who the enemy is. Time to admit defeat and pull out before more senseless lives are lost.

Yep, pack up and go, leave them to it.

Never said foreign aid justifies occupation, but if foreign aid is reduced - highly likely with follow on of the collapse of the Karzi government and Afghan army - the whole exercise of the invasion of Afghanistan will be a complete waste of blood and money for all involved.

Instead of hamstringing our troops with rules of engagement that our enemies could hardly have dreamed of perhaps it would have been better to take the attitude the British empire adopted with Afghanistan, namely leave it alone and resort to 'butcher and bolt' when the locals were causing sufficient trouble.

• Like 2

Never said foreign aid justifies occupation, but if foreign aid is reduced - highly likely with follow on of the collapse of the Karzi government and Afghan army - the whole exercise of the invasion of Afghanistan will be a complete waste of blood and money for all involved.

I don't consider the occupation as "aid"

And yes, if the foreign occupiers leave the country it's highly likely that the installed regime will fall and the collaborators and quislings will face some consequences.

And yes, if the foreign occupiers leave the country it's highly likely that the installed regime will fall and the collaborators and quislings will face some consequences.

Get real, EVERY Afghan will face consequences. Not just collaborators. Not just politicians, soldiers or police. But women, children, farmers, kite flyers, men who don't want to grow a beard, people who want to dance, pretty much everyone type who is considered such a good liberal in the West will suffer - artists, writers, painters, sculptors gays, women rights activists, athiests, non-Muslims, etc.

After more than a decade, I say, "so what?". We tried, got little local help and the regular Afghan people don't even know why we are there in the first place. Leave the country, and if for any lame reason at all they piss us off in the future, send in a drone/tomahawk/special forces/whatever and kill them that way...it's cheaper and we won't risk our own lives anymore.

Just send a bucket of instant sunshine and be done with it, it will serve as a reminder to any others thinking of going down the same path.

Get real, EVERY Afghan will face consequences. Not just collaborators. Not just politicians, soldiers or police. But women, children, farmers, kite flyers, men who don't want to grow a beard, people who want to dance, pretty much everyone type who is considered such a good liberal in the West will suffer - artists, writers, painters, sculptors gays, women rights activists, athiests, non-Muslims, etc.

After more than a decade, I say, "so what?". We tried, got little local help and the regular Afghan people don't even know why we are there in the first place. Leave the country, and if for any lame reason at all they piss us off in the future, send in a drone/tomahawk/special forces/whatever and kill them that way...it's cheaper and we won't risk our own lives anymore.

Just send a bucket of instant sunshine and be done with it, it will serve as a reminder to any others thinking of going down the same path.

Instead of reporting drone strikes, we should deny having anything to do with them and spread the rumor among the Afghan population that those mysterious strikes from the sky are really Allah punishing the bad Muslims known as the Taliban. It's always best to talk to primitives in a way they understand.

When you think about it, all the troubles in the Middle East could really be sold as being punishment from Allah. The West is so advanced and wealthy because Allah is pleased with them! I mean, if there really is an Allah, you'd think that with all the praying 5 times/day, and following the Koran so closely, etc that they would be doing better than they are. Obviously they have angered the Big Guy upstairs.

Instead of reporting drone strikes, we should deny having anything to do with them and spread the rumor among the Afghan population that those mysterious strikes from the sky are really Allah punishing the bad Muslims known as the Taliban. It's always best to talk to primitives in a way they understand.

When you think about it, all the troubles in the Middle East could really be sold as being punishment from Allah. The West is so advanced and wealthy because Allah is pleased with them! I mean, if there really is an Allah, you'd think that with all the praying 5 times/day, and following the Koran so closely, etc that they would be doing better than they are. Obviously they have angered the Big Guy upstairs.

Who do you think are assisting the US in identifying the targets for the drone strikes?

The US & allies have failed to choke off the Tabilban flow of funds from heroin production and their sponsors, destroy the poppy fields, assist & protect the villagers with alternate money crops and the list goes on. Whilst the Taliban subscribe to a cruel ideology I would not call them primitive. Or are we saying primitives and been able to out maneuver some of the most sophisticated and modern societies in the world.

You really have to pity the civilians in Afghanistan who currently are looking at the abyss of another Taliban dictatorship.

Edited by simple1

Who do you think are assisting the US in identifying the targets for the drone strikes?

The US & allies have failed to choke off the Tabilban flow of funds from heroin production and their sponsors, destroy the poppy fields, assist & protect the villagers with alternate money crops and the list goes on. Whilst the Taliban subscribe to a cruel ideology I would not call them primitive. Or are we saying primitives and been able to out maneuver some of the most sophisticated and modern societies in the world.

Being "primitive" can be an advantage when trying to avoid the technologically superior. The '96 Atlanta Olympics bomber avoided US authorities for 5 years in the Smokey Mountains just a few hours' drive from Washington DC and he was living in a cave too.

You really have to pity the civilians in Afghanistan who currently are looking at the abyss of another Taliban dictatorship.

I do, very much so. But I'm feeling more pity for our soldiers (& their families) being murdered by locals they thought they could trust.

Edited by koheesti

Off-topic posts have been deleted as well as replies.

This topic is about the death of a British soldier by an Afghani. It is not about drone strikes. Drone strikes are not even mentioned in the OP.

Please stay on topic.

Being "primitive" can be an advantage when trying to avoid the technologically superior. The '96 Atlanta Olympics bomber avoided US authorities for 5 years in the Smokey Mountains just a few hours' drive from Washington DC and he was living in a cave too.

I do, very much so. But I'm feeling more pity for our soldiers (& their families) being murdered by locals they thought they could trust.

Agree good young men and women of the allied forces dying in the place for what? Yes I also feel sorry for the good civilian population of Afganistan, but nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed for centuries and when the allies completely pull out it will be back to the way it was. It is pointless sacrificing Americans, British and Aussies any further. Who is going to try in 2025 thinking they can make a difference?

Agree good young men and women of the allied forces dying in the place for what? Yes I also feel sorry for the good civilian population of Afganistan, but nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed for centuries and when the allies completely pull out it will be back to the way it was. It is pointless sacrificing Americans, British and Aussies any further. Who is going to try in 2025 thinking they can make a difference?

Yes, the downside of invading other countries and killing the locals is that the locals will fight back.