For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Hello Ron

Malaysian Pied Fantail (Pied fantail) in Thailand

attachicon.gif1.jpg

They look very alike, Willie have the grey stripes under the bill and the Thai have the stripes on top of the head. And the Thai fantail have a black band on the chest

And as you say, the Malaysian Pied Fantail is a little more brownish

Willie Wagtail, maybe the Australian Fantail looks a wee bit more sullen smile.png

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif296-3.gifBut the Australian fantail takes the prize with the name

I really like the Noongar Australian Aboriginal name for the Willie Wagtail (a Flycatcher not really a wagtail) which is "Chitty Chitty" - exactly the sound they make.

• Like 1

I think he would appreciate it if you asked him in A PM.I doubt whether he would bite your head off.

I see he didn't mention in his opening post that images had to be taken in Thailand. Out of courtesy send him a PM.

How to answer?

Well primarily this is a Thailand related forum, and we should try to keep it that way... But I am not going to get my knickers in a twist, if we get a few birds from Aussie land!

But please if doing so, say where the images were taken. Let's not go overboard! wink.png

Oy, we need some British birds then...

I don't contribute as I don't have a snazzy camera (I'd be embarrassed to contribute pics off my phone), but I daily check your uploaded photos which I enjoy seeing (and learning about the local birds), and think better to keep to Thailand birds. Just my tuppence.

• Like 1

It might be an idea that if birds are shown from other parts of the world then they should have a "hook" to a picture of a Thailand bird. Many are of course migratory or have clinal changes in plumage. Or are I do enjoy this forum in particular and anything that gets people into looking more closely at the world about them seems a good thing.

• Like 1

I don't contribute as I don't have a snazzy camera (I'd be embarrassed to contribute pics off my phone), but I daily check your uploaded photos which I enjoy seeing (and learning about the local birds), and think better to keep to Thailand birds. Just my tuppence.

After thinking about this, I think we should keep this to birds of Thailand... Mousehounds idea is fine....comparing images of both...thumbsup.gif

Let's face it Brit birds don't have feathers! tongue.png biggrin.png

We do have the world wide thread!

• Like 1

All mine are from Apple Phone, to lazy to cart my Clonky Camera about. Dont post much now since the Visa App went Blue Tits Up.gigglem.gif

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, garyk said:

Actually the name of that bird is "pak berd" means bill open, or mouth open i believe... He he... That is what the Thai's call it.

Just some useless trivia.. :)

Thanks actually, not useless at all.

Cheers. 

31 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

I had hoped on my recent trip to Udon Thani, that I would see many birds.... but saw very few... and not many close up!

Not sure what these are.

Y2ZrJvYSkRnFqF6a_i7etbfHjkaCXfLC8kCJgBy5

hgr4VbicMwJVcBv55DT8_8m4n92gBa5TD9sExwch

Dear Su.... No. we're not walking down that path again! :)

Thank you for blowing life to this thread again!

Can that be an Asian Open bill?

Edited by Aladdin

15 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

These were in BKK,  it was quite disappointing not to catch many birds on such a long trip!

aNNfOWhUlWVM1UMU09yvPvauCVOy3pu1bU00dXv8

and we have lift off! 

e0NpRS2QM64AcfvfbEPN5EKunaakFDxhACPdtl6z

Don't be disappointed, even if you didn't see any birds you had the luxury to spend time in the nature. Give me a ring next time you're in Bangkok if you're up for some "early" mornings

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samuijimmy said:

Thanks  Aladdin .... could be a few years before headed to BKK again but one never knows!

I am not very good with bird names,  so not sure if eagle or hawk in that image with the lilies... that would have been Thali Noi Lake in northern  Songkhla (that's a great place for birds in the winter months.:thumbsup:

This is one of my better / favorite bird shots.... may have posted b4, can't remember, it's actually taken before 2013  ! 

bOMWtjAOYQtli2fTGBpm-Upm6kYb3NGGA7NufkjX

Great picture, could as well have been posted in "reflections"

• Like 1